Conversation with a former player who has changed his ways...

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We went to the Energy game tonight to watch Chris vs. Chris (Chris won).

We sat behind a large group of adolescent boys and their sponsors - exchanged a few friendly comments with the sponsor sitting closest to us (we were in our ISU colors). During a break in the game I took a few minutes to ask him about the group he was with (Beyondball). He asked me if I'd heard of John Lamb, and I admitted that I probably should, but couldn't make a connection. That's when he told me about himself, how he made a lot of mistakes and was kicked off of the basketball team. He told me that he could have sat there & felt sorry for himself, and blamed everyone else for his problems, but realized that he was the one who screwed up. He has found a renewed faith, and a new calling working with kids, trying to help them make good decisions and focus on what's important in life, and there is life "beyond ball". John seems to have changed his life around, and I came away from the conversation very impressed with the young man.

Thought maybe some of you would like to know that he is making better life choices now.

letsCYber

Jun 11, 2010
U.S. of A.
I don't really feel like solving a riddle at this hour of the night. Who in the hell are you talking about..?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
He was a walk-on transfer from Morehead State with that first wave of transfers. He got in trouble with drugs and became the only transfer to get into trouble, finding himself kicked off the team.

I think he was the only Iowa in the bunch, and I'm thinking he was from Winterset.
Glad to see that he's turned things around!

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
He was a walk-on, transfer sitting out at the same time as Babb et al. Was dismissed from the team and had legal issues a couple of months later.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Ohhh ok. I thought you were talking about Jeremy Lamb aka Windmill fail from UCONN.

Nah - if I met him I'd probably thank him for his humorous contribution to my mental highlight reel of failed attempts to showboat...right up there with Shawn Taggart slam dunking the ball and getting it jammed between the rim & the backboard...

TurdFerguson

Sep 13, 2013
I saw John speak last year through a youth service volunteer program. He is extremely fortunate that he received a second chance, as he was looking at serious prison time (10-15 years if I remember correctly). He seemed very sincere in his change, and really had a niche for speaking to teenagers and "getting through" to them. Good to see he is still working with youth.

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Beyond Ball = Kingdom Hoops

Beyond Ball

In the past I seem to recall some members of CF having issues with the way that Jake Sullivan did some things.. cant recall what exactly. Seems that he helped this Lamb fella get his life back on track though.

Cyclones423

Dec 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Did you see Melvin, Georges, Naz, and Brynn Williamson at the Energy game? They sat a few rows in front of us and people were constantly coming up to them to congratulate them, get pictures with them, and even sign a few autographs. There was a line of kids up the stairs at half time.

dtlantz

Apr 10, 2006
Maryland
He was a walk-on transfer from Morehead State with that first wave of transfers. He got in trouble with drugs and became the only transfer to get into trouble, finding himself kicked off the team.

I think he was the only Iowa in the bunch, and I'm thinking he was from Winterset.
Glad to see that he's turned things around!

I'm from Winterset and I don't remember him. Granted, I graduated ten years ago...

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Beyond Ball = Kingdom Hoops

Beyond Ball

In the past I seem to recall some members of CF having issues with the way that Jake Sullivan did some things.. cant recall what exactly. Seems that he helped this Lamb fella get his life back on track though.

Jake seems like a good guy. The problem people had is that apparently he told players not to go to Iowa State, that was during McDermott, so he had somewhat of a point honestly.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
lamb2.jpg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron