Possible Future ISU vs. Minnesota Basketball home and home ?

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I saw Travis Hines/Marcus Fuller/Doogie Wolfen tweeting last night about the possibiliy of ISU playing Minnesota as a non conference game yearly. It doesn't make a lot of sense for Football but it appears ISU is in for basketball, Just waiting to get a response from powers for the U of M.

I'm all for it... More exposure for Fred in Minnesota with a lot of targets that can get to the barn. Though I could see Richard trying to avoid this senerio.

I saw it was being discussed on Gopherhole and I thought it was interesting.
Interesting Twitter back and forth between M.Fuller and T.Hines on Minnesota vs ISU

1. Travis Hines @TravisHines21
  2. @GophersNow I'm with you, but with the way ISU is attempting to recruit up there I think it's a long shot.

1. Marcus R. Fuller @GophersNow
Follow
Nothing to gain for Hoiberg “@TravisHines21: I'm with you, but with the way ISU is attempting to recruit up there I think it's a long shot.â€￾
11:24 PM - 25 Dec 2013

Wolfson @DarrenWolfson
Follow You got me thinking, @GophersNow & @TravisHines21, so I just checked. Word is the #Gophers need to say yes. ISU in on board for next year

1. Marcus R. Fuller @GophersNow
  2. Nothing to gain for Hoiberg “@TravisHines21: I'm with you, but with the way ISU is attempting to recruit up there I think it's a long shot.â€￾

1. Travis Hines @TravisHines21
Follow
@GophersNow Thinking the other way around. Would Pitino let ISU say "You'll play at home at least once" or let ISU get exposure in MPLS?
11:29 PM - 25 Dec 2013

Darren Wolfson@DarrenWolfson16m
Heard again that #Cyclones will say yes to a hoops series starting next year. Silence thus far on #Gophers side. Logistics never easy.

Spam

May 21, 2008
yearly? i don't know if that's a lot of fun. We already have one Big 10 yearly.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I'll take it, but I'm more interested in the SEC challenge. I wanna play Kentucky or at least Mizzou next year when we are loaded!

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Exactly, that's why I would love for it to happen but I doubt Pitino would go for it.
Maybe a Marquette going for a series now that they are in the New Big East?

An ideal non-conference schedule would have have two non-Iowa Big 10 teams and a Missouri (SEC Challenge), Marquette, or even DePaul on it. Increase our presence in the midwest metros.

Last edited:

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
yearly? i don't know if that's a lot of fun. We already have one Big 10 yearly.

True but that didn't stop JP from putting Michigan on ISU's schedule this year. Minny needs to stregthen their non-con and with the large Alumni base of ISU in the Twin Cities it would be a sell out in Mpls.
Obviously, I would assume they would prefer not letting the Cyclones show off on their own court, but if Richard has any confidence in his team then he could see it as a good challenge and opportunity to get a quality early season win.
I would predict he won't risk it but we'll see.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
True but that didn't stop JP from putting Michigan on ISU's schedule this year. Minny needs to stregthen their non-con and with the large Alumni base of ISU in the Twin Cities it would be a sell out in Mpls.
Obviously, I would assume they would prefer not letting the Cyclones show off on their own court, but if Richard has any confidence in his team then he could see it as a good challenge and opportunity to get a quality early season win.
I would predict he won't risk it but we'll see.

This would be one major selling point, I would think. Beat us and show recruits we aren't that good (which isn't true obviously). The other thing I was thinking is that it might actually be in Minnesota's interest to create a rivalry with us. Local recruits who grow up rooting for the Gophers might actually think less about coming here if we were a hated rival.

On the other hand, they could just field a good team and have all the built in advantages they should anyway.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
The nutjobs at Gopher hole think we are a lesser program and don't want to play us.......

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
We had a home/home series with Minny in the recent past. Don't have any problems doing it again. We have beaten Minnesota that last 3 times we faced them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron