Ejim National POY Talk

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Good for Mel. The best part is, it is debatable if he is team MVP ATM.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The last 5 or 6 names on that last have no business being above Ejim. Looks like they just made sure get all the big boys a player to pump. How does a 4 year starter and the big 12 leading rebounded miss your radar?

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
The last 5 or 6 names on that last have no business being above Ejim. Looks like they just made sure get all the big boys a player to pump. How does a 4 year starter and the big 12 leading rebounded miss your radar?

agree. Chaz Williams of UMASS wtf?!

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Pretty amazing that we have a nationally renowned player (#16 on CBS' list apparently) and still be able to logically debate who the best player on this year's team is. One could make a case for Ejim, Hogue, Niang, or Kane as ISU's most valuable player. Awesome balance.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Pretty amazing that we have a nationally renowned player (#16 on CBS' list apparently) and still be able to logically debate who the best player on this year's team is. One could make a case for Ejim, Hogue, Niang, or Kane as ISU's most valuable player. Awesome balance.
With all due respect to the other great players, it's Hogue.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
If you compare their numbers, Ejim is having a better season than CJ Fair. Ejim is quietly having a great season, no one is even talking about him in terms of Big XII player of the year.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

The Four Horsemen.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
That he so easily - and so often - flies under the radar may be his curse, but it is our blessing.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames

What about Ejim, averaging 18 points and 8 boards? Or Niang, who averages 15 and takes (and makes) the big shots late in games? Or Kane, averaging 14/8/6 and being the floor general? I don't think it's as clear-cut as you seem to.

All I'm saying is that you can make valid arguments for 4 different guys and debate for days on end. What a great problem to have for us fanatics.

Spam

May 21, 2008
How ISU's season goes matters.
How the NCAA committee makes selections for the NCAA tournament matters.
How ISU's players do matters.
How the NCAA and Big 12 give/don't give players individual awards matters.

How media outlets and journalists pick, predict and rank teams and players does not matter.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

Hogue is an awesome player and a big surprise that has really exceeded expectations, but I feel like a lot the success he's finding is because of Ejim (and Niang).

Granted, he's certainly capitalizing on the opportunity that was presented, but I wouldn't trade him for Ejim just yet.

westlbcyclone

Jun 28, 2010
North Liberty

They actually say in the article that is exactly what they did for #15...
15. Nick Johnson (Arizona)
Why he's here: It would be silly to have a ranking of possible Players of the Year without a representative from the nation's top-ranked team.

You could make a serious argument that Ejim could beat out 11-15 on that list, and probably even a couple of the other ones above that.

Edit: I've also told people that if Mel played for KU/OU/OSU/Tex he would have been a unanimous 1st-team all B12, and a potential AA. I think the same thing is playing out here as well.

Last edited:

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
This makes me smile. It also reminds me of the "Starting Lineup" threads during his sophomore and junior years, when numerous posters thought he would be coming off the bench.

Players like Ejim make this game great.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Hogue is an incredible asset, but I have to think he wouldn't be as much if Kane, Ejim, and Niang weren't around. Again, he's really great, but he ends up benefiting from the attention each of the other 3 command.

Last edited:

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I would easily place him at 11 on this list.

He has plenty of showcase games now to move up the list.

I asked at beginning of season why he wasn't on Wooden Watch list when Wiggins and Embiid were. I will buy they are good and probably higher upside but he has done it before on the court, they haven't.

I will stick to it and predict he finishes higher than both of those at end of season.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
I've also told people that if Mel played for KU/OU/OSU/Tex he would have been a unanimous 1st-team all B12, and a potential AA. I think the same thing is playing out here as well.

This is fact. With ESPN games, the announcers are always pro-whoeverisplayingthecyclones. But they always come around to ISU at the end, because we win.

It will be the same in Big 12 play.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
I've also told people that if Mel played for KU/OU/OSU/Tex he would have been a unanimous 1st-team all B12, and a potential AA. I think the same thing is playing out here as well.

Sadly I think you're wrong. Guys like Self and Barnes would make him play the 2 or the 3. Either way he's playing on the perimeter. Maybe he would be known as a great rebounding guard like Kane is right now for us, but he would never guard Cory Jefferson, Isaiah Austin, Jeff Withey, etc. if he was playing for Self or Barnes. No way. He'd be on the perimeter.

That being said, if you put a guy with his numbers on a team like Kansas or Texas, I think you're right. If a Jayhawk leads the Big 12 in double-doubles and rebounds, he's no doubt going to be first-team all conference.

Last edited: