Cleaning - Stupid Chores

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
So we're getting ready for company, and my wife asked me to dust the two top shelves in the family room that she could not reach. The same two shelves I need to stand on a chair to reach. My question is why bother dusting something no one can see? (I would ask her, but no sense kicking off the holidays fighting!)

This job ranks up there with dusting under an item on a shelf. No one is going to look under said item, nor can dust get there.

What other stupid chores have some of you ever been asked to do?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
So we're getting ready for company, and my wife asked me to dust the two top shelves in the family room that she could not reach. The same two shelves I need to stand on a chair to reach. My question is why bother dusting something no one can see? (I would ask her, but no sense kicking off the holidays fighting!)

This job ranks up there with dusting under an item on a shelf. No one is going to look under said item, nor can dust get there.

Having been married for 23 years and having the same conversation as you time and time again just leads me to believe I should have quit that fight 22 years ago as its NOT a winning situation for you.

Momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy.

terryleebr

Apr 10, 2006

It will help you pass the time before the game.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
I usually clean after ISU or Cincinnati wins. I'm so excited, esp if it's not an expected win. So my wife enjoys it when my teams win.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Happy wife, happy life. Cliche? You bet. True as anything in this world? Damn right. Take two minutes and dust the shelves.

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
it is her way to control you. She could kick you in the nuts, but making you do menial labor is more fun for her. Man up, tell her you are the boss, take her to bed and have your way with her.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
last year visiting the in-laws getting ready for an extended family Christmas.........they were cleaning the tops of the ceiling fan blades. Which weren't going to be running. And I was pretty sure no one was going to be occupying the 12 inches between the blade and ceiling.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
My aunt once informed me that there were cobwebs behind the toilet.

I told her not to reach back there, and she'd be fine.

Problem solved.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
last year visiting the in-laws getting ready for an extended family Christmas.........they were cleaning the tops of the ceiling fan blades. Which weren't going to be running. And I was pretty sure no one was going to be occupying the 12 inches between the blade and ceiling.

what if they got turned on and dust rained down on the guests exposing how gross the house was? I vacuum closets before people come over. Just in case.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
what if they got turned on and dust rained down on the guests exposing how gross the house was? I vacuum closets before people come over. Just in case.

well, it was more a case of priorities. Procrastination is a family trait so I just thought maybe there were better tasks to be doing 2 hours before people arrive. Like clearing off the counter where all the food needed to go. I think we decided that cleaning the fan blades was his dad's way of procrastinating on cleaning off that counter.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011

Yeah, it's all fun and games until someone pops the champagne, the cork shoots up, hits the fan blades, knocks all that dust down onto the baked Alaska, and your entire holiday is RUINED.

Thanks, Obama.

Reactions: mbbone

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Yeah, it's all fun and games until someone pops the champagne, the cork shoots up, hits the fan blades, knocks all that dust down onto the baked Alaska, and your entire holiday is RUINED.

Thanks, Obama.

781.gif

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
If for some reason someone sees dust, cobwebs, or dirty windows it is a reflection on her not you

CyAg

May 22, 2006
Just celebrated our 30th anniversary earlier this year and blessed with six children.

Two points:

1. Has she ever done something at your request that she may not have agreed with? Or, just said ok to you?

2. Why are you posting a ***** regarding a spouse request that takes 5 minutes?
(Note: I have personally failed this point so many times!)

Carry on.