Friday OT - Best barbecue in Iowa

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Opinions posted here.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Jethro's or Smokey D's. Still haven't been to Bandana's in Ankeny

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Jethro's and Smokey D's are both really good. But my favorite has to be Woody's Smoke Shack by Drake. With cornbread and honey butter to eat while you wait.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Bandana's would be a distant 3rd to the first two you mentioned.

Bandana's pulled pork is better than both Jethro's and Smokey D's. Also, their original sauce is better than anything offered by those other two. Where Jethro's and Smokey D's catch up, and possibly surpass, is with their other meats.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Jethro's and Smokey D's are both really good. But my favorite has to be Woody's Smoke Shack by Drake. With cornbread and honey butter to eat while you wait.

This. Not many have tried/know of Woody's. We've hired him to cater tailgates before. Hauls up the smoker and does an amazing job.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
This. Not many have tried/know of Woody's. We've hired him to cater tailgates before. Hauls up the smoker and does an amazing job.

He lives a couple blocks away from me. A neighbor and I walk a couple miles in the early morning, and he'd be smoking meat in his trailer, parked in his driveway. We always talked about taking some samples, but never followed up.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'm a Smokey D's guy, but I love pretty everything BBQ so Woody's, Wendell's, Jethro's. I'm not a judge on the food network so it's all the same to me. All taste great but all taste different.

The only place that I would rather go than OK Joe's is Smokey D's though, the burnt ends separate them from other DSM area BBQ.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
As has been mentioned, everyone needs to try Smokey D's burnt ends. They are amazing.