Jameel McKay Observations

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Based only upon the highlight videos, this is what I have noted:

- Not as quick or explosive as Hogue, but taller with longer arms, dunks anywhere near the hoop. Needs to add strength as he may have difficulty holding post position. Good energy though.

- Good mid- and long-range shooter with nice form. I'm sure his shooting will improve markedly after one year under Fred's tutelage.

- Runs the floor well for a big guy with a long stride. Should be able to beat other teams' big men down the floor.

- Nice post moves with a nice touch on a high-arcing shot. Good footwork on spin moves though he tends to go exclusively to his right. Hopefully, he can learn to use his left hand after practicing with Georges for a year.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Do we play Iowa after the fall semester is over in 2014? I was hoping McKay could guard Aaron White, I am tired of watching White cut us to pieces.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Do we play Iowa after the fall semester is over in 2014? I was hoping McKay could guard Aaron White, I am tired of watching White cut us to pieces.

It's actually a good way to beat Iowa. Let White get all his garbage cherry picking run outs. Guard the players that actually play basketball. Don't waste your time running around with someone that's only running around to make you run around.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007

As of now, he will not be eligible for the Iowa game next year. Hopefully he is granted a waiver to play right away with the NCAA, but I wouldn't hold your breathe. Our track record on winning appeals with the NCAA is not great.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
McKay should make a nice addition to the practice squad this spring. He should give an extra push during practice and give ours guys another type of player to practice against. Glad he's coming here this spring!

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Hogue has blown us away with his performance this year and filled some huge gaps.

It would be awesome if McKay has the same impact.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I talked to a couple Indian Hills fans at the UMKC game and they attend all their games and many practices. They said McKay wasn't much of a shooter (doesn't mean Hoiberg can't make him one), but is a great athlete that loves to run and get after it. According to him McKay was clearly the best player on that amazing team, and we now know how good Hogue is. He also added that Hogue and McKay were two of the nicest guys on the team.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
McKay said rebounding is what he does best. Anything under 7 would surprise me.

He also said the best part of his game that nobody talks about is his passing ability.

(These answers came from him on his twitter when he answered questions from fans.)

troyisu

Jan 13, 2011
Waukee
Hogue has blown us away with his performance this year and filled some huge gaps.

It would be awesome if McKay has the same impact.

I know a guy who is a JUCO referee who officiates many Indian Hills games. Spoke to him the other day about how surprised I was with Hogue as I felt he would be a Stevie Johnson type player.

He went on to tell me that McKay will make Hogue look like a walk on...that brought a pretty big smile to my face....

What I don't know is who gets the starting nod...Hogue is the front runner, but Nader and McKay are going to be tough as nails...DEPTH!

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I know that I was watching those highlight videos--and frankly, his build and the way he moves kinda reminded me of the little I've seen of Uthoff...

Edit--and I don't mean Dean, and I remember seeing who I assume is Jared's dad play football in high school...

Last edited:

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I know a guy who is a JUCO referee who officiates many Indian Hills games. Spoke to him the other day about how surprised I was with Hogue as I felt he would be a Stevie Johnson type player.

He went on to tell me that McKay will make Hogue look like a walk on...that brought a pretty big smile to my face....

What I don't know is who gets the starting nod...Hogue is the front runner, but Nader and McKay are going to be tough as nails...DEPTH!

No one in the country is going to make Hogue look like a walk on at this point. He's the #1 rebounder in the B12, #7 in the nation and averaging a double/double.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006

6498552.gif

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
i think mckay will be jackson vroman 2.0. plays really hard, great rebounder, and can really run.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
As of now, he will not be eligible for the Iowa game next year. Hopefully he is granted a waiver to play right away with the NCAA, but I wouldn't hold your breathe. Our track record on winning appeals with the NCAA is not great.

Not that I'm saying I wouldn't love for him to get one, but just playing devil's advocate, why should he get a waiver?

Dingus

May 23, 2013

No way Hogue doesn't start next year. He will lead the conference in rebounding as a junior and will have approximately a 99% chance of starting as a senior. Hogue and Niang will start along with either Nader or McKay (my guess is McKay but its just a guess).

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
With CF as my source, he can play after Dec. 23rd IIRC. Obviously not coming until after Christmas, especially with the team in Hawaii.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
No way Hogue doesn't start next year. He will lead the conference in rebounding as a junior and will have approximately a 99% chance of starting as a senior. Hogue and Niang will start along with either Nader or McKay (my guess is McKay but its just a guess).
That would be my guess too. Nader from what I hear is a good outside shooter. He can come in for Niang and Hogue. But Fred doesn't look at it the same way as I do. Hurrumph.