Help*** Moving to Madison, WI

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
Hey guys,
My wife and I are moving to Madison, WI. We are looking to move February 1st and are looking to visit the week of Christmas to look at homes to rent.

We have been looking online for homes and have found a few that may work. I am having an issue though. We have 2 dogs and it doesn't seem like there are many homes with fenced in yards. This is a big issue with us as we both work from home and can't take them out on leashes to go the bathroom. Basically, we are on the phone or have to be at our computers and don't have the time to take 10 minutes to let them do their business.

I am hoping someone on here may have some contacts that may have rental properties or connections with someone else that might.

I will also take suggestions on things to do there, where to live, and if we have any Cyclone fans in the area, game watches, etc.

Thanks in Advance!!!

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Im jealous. You will have so much to do there. I suggest you become a casual Badger fan and go to games there. Its a ton of fun. Lots of great places to eat such as the Dane and La Paella. Love those places. If you like to drink, check out the Old Sugar Distillery for a tour and samples and also Maduro Cigar Bar. Fantastic.

Madison's farmers market is one of the best Ive ever been to. The wife and I used to drive up there every time they had it.

Cant help you much on places to live. Sorry..

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
We will for sure check those places out. We are really looking forward to all that Madison offers! My wife is from just outside of Madison so we are already closet Badger fans. We plan on hitting up the sports options for sure. I think we will still keep our football tickets as we are an hour closer to Ames than we are currently so we may not get to see many football games but basketball is on our radar for sure.. Thanks for the places to check out, we can't wait to get there.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Congrats on your move to my town!!

re: help finding a place with a fence - are you looking for a realtor? I was looking for a house earlier this year (didn't follow through... yet) and worked with a realtor-couple I knew from previous work. Even though I didn't buy, I was very pleased with them. Do you want their contact info?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
We will for sure check those places out. We are really looking forward to all that Madison offers! My wife is from just outside of Madison so we are already closet Badger fans. We plan on hitting up the sports options for sure. I think we will still keep our football tickets as we are an hour closer to Ames than we are currently so we may not get to see many football games but basketball is on our radar for sure.. Thanks for the places to check out, we can't wait to get there.

Another thing I love about Madison, if you get bored there by chance you are close to everything. Milwaukee, Chicago, not too far from Green Bay, etc. Oh and you can always take a quick jaunt to sunny Rockford. ;) I kid. But there is a train in Harvard, Ill that goes to Chicago. Thats kind of a fun ride if you dont want to drive through Chicago with your car.

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
Congrats on your move to my town!!

re: help finding a place with a fence - are you looking for a realtor? I was looking for a house earlier this year (didn't follow through... yet) and worked with a realtor-couple I knew from previous work. Even though I didn't buy, I was very pleased with them. Do you want their contact info?

Thanks, I am in contact with a few already. We are looking to rent as we seem to get relocated every 2 years or so. Multiple places will allow us to put in a fence, just thought I would check here to see if anyone had any connections with home with existing fences. The winter is going to be tough if we have to wait to install a fence, but we will see what we find for options next week. If we decide we need to buy I will be in contact with you for sure!

Maybe we can meet up sometime to cheer on the Cyclones!

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
Another thing I love about Madison, if you get bored there by chance you are close to everything. Milwaukee, Chicago, not too far from Green Bay, etc. Oh and you can always take a quick jaunt to sunny Rockford. ;) I kid. But there is a train in Harvard, Ill that goes to Chicago. Thats kind of a fun ride if you dont want to drive through Chicago with your car.

My wife has a ton of family in Milwaukee so we will be there often. My dad also has a cabin in Hayward, WI so I will be spending a lot of my free time there. We currently live in Springfield, IL so I know all about the amazing spectacle that is Rockford... Good to hear there is a train to get to Chicago, we have used it from here.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
My wife has a ton of family in Milwaukee so we will be there often. My dad also has a cabin in Hayward, WI so I will be spending a lot of my free time there. We currently live in Springfield, IL so I know all about the amazing spectacle that is Rockford... Good to hear there is a train to get to Chicago, we have used it from here.

Oh so you are graduating from FIB status. Well done!

Moving back here was a mistake. I miss Wisconsin every day.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Hey guys,
My wife and I are moving to Madison, WI. We are looking to move February 1st and are looking to visit the week of Christmas to look at homes to rent.

We have been looking online for homes and have found a few that may work. I am having an issue though. We have 2 dogs and it doesn't seem like there are many homes with fenced in yards. This is a big issue with us as we both work from home and can't take them out on leashes to go the bathroom. Basically, we are on the phone or have to be at our computers and don't have the time to take 10 minutes to let them do their business.

I am hoping someone on here may have some contacts that may have rental properties or connections with someone else that might.

I will also take suggestions on things to do there, where to live, and if we have any Cyclone fans in the area, game watches, etc.

Thanks in Advance!!!

I'm not sure how many rental homes you will find, especially once you go outside of the student housing area downtown. Might have to go a little further outside of town to find actual homes and not apartments/condos. Depending on what you want to be close to, I would live in either the Middleton/Waunakee area, or Sun Prairie (where we are now). Depends on what your interests are, but both are really nice, safe areas, with close access to a lot. Middleton/Waunakee will be a bit higher-priced, but it's got the better mall, more restaurants, etc. Sun Prairie is growing like crazy though, and they are putting a lot of new development in. They're catching up to the west side.

I would stay away from downtown and the Fitchburg area directly south of the Beltline (12/18).

What to do - sporting events, Farmer's market, State Street, Devil's Lake, lots of local parks, anything on a lake - there really is a lot to do!

I've seen several Cyclone fans around town - there are a couple other members here who live in the area and I think they've done game watches in the past.

Craigslist and Hometown News Group - Property For Rent might be other good places to look for houses as well.

Good luck and it will be nice to get some more Cyclone fans up in this area!

Last edited:

ozzie8

Apr 30, 2008
Look for a place on the west side of Madison. Middleton, Verona, Waunakee, etc............

Last edited:

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
I don't mean to derail your thread at all but I'm curious why you get relocated so often, when you work from home. My wife is interested in the whole work from home thing is why I ask.

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
I'm not sure how many rental homes you will find, especially once you go outside of the student housing area downtown. Might have to go a little further outside of town to find actual homes and not apartments/condos. Depending on what you want to be close to, I would live in either the Middleton/Waunakee area, or Sun Prairie (where we are now). Depends on what your interests are, but both are really nice, safe areas, with close access to a lot. Middleton/Waunakee will be a bit higher-priced, but it's got the better mall, more restaurants, etc. Sun Prairie is growing like crazy though, and they are putting a lot of new development in. They're catching up to the west side.

I would stay away from downtown and the Fitchburg area directly south of the Beltline (12/18).

What to do - sporting events, Farmer's market, State Street, Devil's Lake, lots of local parks, anything on a lake - there really is a lot to do!

I've seen several Cyclone fans around town - there are a couple other members here who live in the area and I think they've done game watches in the past.

Craigslist and Hometown News Group - Property For Rent might be other good places to look for houses as well.

Good luck and it will be nice to get some more Cyclone fans up in this area!

Thanks for the info! We are looking in Waunakee and Sun Prairie along with Middleton, but we are open to anything right now outside of the campus area.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I don't mean to derail your thread at all but I'm curious why you get relocated so often, when you work from home. My wife is interested in the whole work from home thing is why I ask.

Yes.....why....

318726.jpg

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI

My wife has a field job for Allied Insurance, we have moved to multiple territories, she has to travel a bunch. I am lucky and work for the same company. I have been able to keep my job or get promotions that allow me to work from home. 4th move in less than 5 years, it is starting to get old, but we are hoping to eventually settle down in the Des Moines area again some day.