From ESPN blog ISU last in the nation at protecting the QB

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
That's why I didn't think it was fair when people were criticizing Richardson. He had no protection and then you make bad plays. I still think he is better than Rohach.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Does this mean we need a new QB? JK. No surprise here. It ALL starts with the OL. If I see another post about needing a JUCO or new QB I am going to puke all over my keyboard!

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
That's why I didn't think it was fair when people were criticizing Richardson. He had no protection and then you make bad plays. I still think he is better than Rohach.

Agree on the protection piece. When you see some qbs who are back there basically slowly scanning the field, etc, it seems Sam was running for his life, etc.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Agree on the protection piece. When you see some qbs who are back there basically slowly scanning the field, etc, it seems Sam was running for his life, etc.
Just think what Sam could do if he had that much time to scan the field next year. With our great WR talent we could have a great passing attack next year.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Does this mean we need a new QB? JK. No surprise here. It ALL starts with the OL. If I see another post about needing a JUCO or new QB I am going to puke all over my keyboard!

...and DL. If anyone wants to know how Art Briles got Baylor to the point it is now, that's how.

There's just no excuse for ISU to have sub-par OLs. Our part of the world doesn't produce a lot of skill players but it sure as hell produces outstanding OLs.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
We need a JUCO QB.

Please provide photographic evidence of keyboard vomit.

So, in the few, 2-3 games vs Tulsa, KS and WV, our QB's played fine when the OL was playing average. In the rest, they were running for their life. Do me a favor, watch some tape of our first 5-6 games and tell me how many times you can count to 3-4 after the ball is snapped before the defense devours our QB's. OL are taught to pass protect for 4 seconds. Any QB's has a timer in his head. They didn't have 2 seconds on most plays which messes with any QB's confidence. Not to mention Sam was playing on a bumb ankle all year. An offense cannot function without a running game (OL) and consistently getting 3-4 seconds to throw. I suppose you think we didn't have any good running backs either (since we were 6 deep at that position)? Maybe we should get 2-4 Juco RB's too while we are at it. Watch the last 2 games of last year and tell me we need a new QB. Please. Get Real.

Lastly, CPR disagrees with you. He said that we are NOT recruiting any Juco QB's. Anybody that understands football at all, knows why.

Last edited:

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines

I made this association earlier in the year as well: As a Bears fan I have seen it before. We had a great QB (I will let you argue that) in Cutler but he was getting the **** kicked out of him on a weekly basis...and it showed. You put together a decent line and all of a sudden he is top 10 again and making plays. Hell, you put his backup in and he too picks apart opposing defenses. You are not going to be productive with a ****** o-line.

Get our line healthy, give them time to gel (having players develop as well as playing the worse teams that last two games both played into this) like they did this year and they will get better. Now with a year under their belt and young talent still coming in, I feel like we are moving in the right direction.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

Jeez, next you're going to be saying that Wins and Losses can't be 100% assigned solely to the quarterback, and that the teams we're playing, the gameplan, and the performance of the team as a whole matters.

Then where are you going to go from there? Maybe point out that Kansas and West Virginia were the two worst defenses we faced all season? I don't see how that could possibly play in to it.

And the fact that our offense line didn't actually have the majority of our starters playing until those last few games? You'd probably bring that up to. How could that possibly impact QB play?

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
So, in the few, 2-3 games vs Tulsa, KS and WV, our QB's played fine when the OL was playing average. In the rest, they were running for their life. Do me a favor, watch some tape of our first 5-6 games and tell me how many times you can count to 3-4 after the ball is snapped before the defense devours our QB's. OL are taught to pass protect for 4 seconds. Any QB's has a timer in his head. They didn't have 2 seconds on most plays which messes with any QB's confidence. Not to mention Sam was playing on a bumb ankle all year. An offense cannot function without a running game (OL) and consistently getting 3-4 seconds to throw. I suppose you think we didn't have any good running backs either (since we were 6 deep at that position)? Maybe we should get 2-4 Juco RB's too while we are at it. Watch the last 2 games of last year and tell me we need a new QB. Please. Get Real.

Lastly, CPR disagrees with you. He said that we are NOT recruiting any Juco QB's. Anybody that understands football at all, knows why.

Using the worst teams on our schedule as proof that our QB's are world-beaters isn't the best strategy. Had we had a guy like Seneca Wallace in the backfield (JUCO QB), we are bowling. Bank it.

Invisible Jimlad! I just want to see you vomit on the keyboard.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
Yep, OL and DL are the foundations to their respective side of the ball. If those aren't solid, it will all come crashing down (which is what we saw this past season).

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Using the worst teams on our schedule as proof that our QB's are world-beaters isn't the best strategy. Had we had a guy like Seneca Wallace in the backfield (JUCO QB), we are bowling. Bank it.

Invisible Jimlad! I just want to see you vomit on the keyboard.

That's not what I did. I'm saying those are the 3 games where our OL gave the QB's time to throw the ball. And NO *^%# about Seneca Wallace. Problem is, Seneca Wallace types come by once every 10 years.