Students Cutting in Line / Entering Hilton Coliseum

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
I'm sure this has been discussed in other threads, but I thought it deserved its own. Something HAS to be done to help prevent this. Other students on CF can attest, it was really bad for the Iowa game. I got in line around 2 oclock, 6 and a half hours before tipoff, and there was roughly 200 people in front of me at that time, if that. By the time they opened the doors and started letting students in at 6:30, there was probably another 100-150 kids in front of me.

Additionally, once the doors were opened and the line started to condense, the yellow rope that weaved back and forth that was expected to keep students in line failed miserably. It was like being front row at a rock concert right in front of the steps to hilton. A huge mess.

There HAS to be a better way to do this. Whether it be having several Hilton staff members outside regulating the lines, IDK. But you can bet you last dollar it is going to be chaos for the Kansas game if they use the same approach again.

Ideas? I hope someone that has the power to do something about this reads CF.

p.s. **** the CA members that dont have to stand in line and get front row seats, like wtf. Not only do you get front row seats, you get them for doing absolutely nothing. Your free throw distraction signs are stupid. And anyone that let a group of friends cut in line with them, I hate you./rant

Reactions: CycloneGamecock

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
The kuathletics.com link with the specifics is down, apparently, but between this and this, you can get a brief explanation of the system used at KU, which works pretty well.

Last edited:

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
They could do different colored wrist bands.
First 50 students with red wristbands.
Next 50 with Yellow wristbands.
Next 100 with Green wristbands.
Next 100 with Black wristbands.
etc...
Give them to students as they get into line. It won't solve everything, but it would prevent students from cutting or jumping the line when the doors open.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Student I know who has been a lifelong Iowa fan (but wore red on Friday so he wouldn't get yelled at) told me that he "joined his friends" in line around 5:30pm and ended up somewhere around the 15th row. Meanwhile I was in line before 4:00pm and had to go to the balcony. It is infuriating.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I say start charging more for student tickets, and see who really wants to go. Then sell the rest to donors. Win win for isu.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The line system discourages students from being students. My son has attended every game for the last two and a half years, as well as many women's games. He takes his classes seriously. He had to go to class until 5:00 Friday as he needed to get the take home part of one of his finals and turn in an assignment personally. He could not go camp out and he would not cut. He was thrilled he got in, even if it was standing area.

He would prefer some preference given for attending more games. This might get more students to those early games. Maybe a separate door or reserved tickets based on preference for the big games.

Students really shouldn't have to cut class to go to a basketball game. Might also eliminate some of the line cutting issues.

I think it is a little better than last year. One of his friends had her head slammed against the wall in the rush at the Kansas game. They got in, second to top row, even though they had been towards the front of the line. He spent some time checking to see if she had a concussion.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I think a lottery for Iowa and Kansas would be the best way to do it. Probably can keep the current system going for other games, although Michigan was pretty well attended and Okie State could be huge.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
The line system discourages students from being students. My son has attended every game for the last two and a half years, as well as many women's games. He takes his classes seriously. He had to go to class until 5:00 Friday as he needed to get the take home part of one of his finals and turn in an assignment personally. He could not go camp out and he would not cut. He was thrilled he got in, even if it was standing area.

He would prefer some preference given for attending more games. This might get more students to those early games. Maybe a separate door or reserved tickets based on preference for the big games.

Students really shouldn't have to cut class to go to a basketball game. Might also eliminate some of the line cutting issues.

I think it is a little better than last year. One of his friends had her head slammed against the wall in the rush at the Kansas game. They got in, second to top row, even though they had been towards the front of the line. He spent some time checking to see if she had a concussion.
I think that the rewards system is the best idea. It rewards people who go to all of the games. I would like to see it include the other sports too with less importance on the other sports. You could also have it carry over so that older students aren't behind freshmen. It would also prevent people who say I am going to get tickets and go just because it is my last year. You would actually have to go all years.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

I agree that you shouldn't have to cut class just to get a seat. However I wouldn't like an attendance preference either. Maybe this is selfish as I have work/other commitments that prevent me from missing quite a few of the weeknight games. Some people have night classes, too, which would still encourage cutting class.

I like the wristband idea that was mentioned earlier. They should have a bunch of different colors, maybe each with a number on them as well (think of how CyRide does it - Red 1, Green 2, Blue 3, Gray 4, etc.) and admit one color group at a time. Have somebody standing on the stairs holding up a sign with the color that is currently being admitted so students can go up to the stairs if they have that color. If you have a Gray 4 wristband but Green 2 is being admitted, you have to wait off on the side until it's Gray's turn.

They would also need a unique identifier on each wristband for the specific game that it is to be used for. Something easily noticeable - a color logo of our opponent for that game?

Anyway, Pollard seemed proud that we were finally "like KU" in that not all of our students got into Hilton. Well, if we're big time, we need to copy a big time student entrance policy. This is better than the KU game from last year, although not a whole lot better anymore.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
I'm fine with an attendance-based rewards system, but don't make students go to non-revenue snoozers to get good seats to a men's basketball game. Keep it within the same sport.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
They probably need to oversell less in the future as well. Ideally everyone who has a ticket should be able to go to every game they wish. It made sense when students werent attending, but as the student section has rebuilt (along with the rest of the basketball atmosphere) its less of an issue.

cysox2

Nov 30, 2011
Newhall
With the wrist band idea, what's to keep someone from showing up early then leaving and coming back right before the doors open?

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I say start charging more for student tickets, and see who really wants to go. Then sell the rest to donors. Win win for isu.

Money wins, yeah! Boo I say, Boo.

This doesn't affect me in the slightest but still I say Boo.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
They probably need to oversell less in the future as well. Ideally everyone who has a ticket should be able to go to every game they wish. It made sense when students werent attending, but as the student section has rebuilt (along with the rest of the basketball atmosphere) its less of an issue.

Maybe, but keep in mind last year they never turned a student away. Had standing room only against Kansas, but never turned anyone away. In years when we don't play Iowa at home it's possible there will only be one game (Kansas) where more than 2500 students show up.

cy4life94

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2012
Cedar Rapids
I will not have a problem with them overselling the tickets until all of the games are well attended. Not overselling would make 3 or 4 games a year better but there would just be more open seats for the rest of them. If the student section fills up for every game then go for it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I will not have a problem with them overselling the tickets until all of the games are well attended. Not overselling would make 3 or 4 games a year better but there would just be more open seats for the rest of them. If the student section fills up for every game then go for it.

Thats a ridiculous standard though. Plenty of games the other sections have plenty of gaps. Student section looks like more because they pack to the front. By that standard we should oversell the donor sections.