How did Iowa State play poorly against Iowa?

AltHawk

Sep 2, 2012
I see a lot of posters say that Iowa State played like **** against Iowa yet still won. However, I don't really understand where this is coming from. They shot right near their season average (48% FG, 35% 3PT, 64% FT against Iowa; 49% FG, 37% 3PT, 68% FT for the season) in every category and only turned it over 10 times. This is the third Iowa State game I have watched this season (Mich, BYU) and they played just as well, if not better, than they played in those games.

Is it because Iowa State struggled getting back in transition defense and gave Iowa a lot of easy baskets, so the perception is that Iowa State didn't play well? Or do Iowa State fans just refuse to acknowledge that Iowa's collection of gingers and inferior athletes was able to hang with Fred's bunch? I guess I really just don't understand that line of thinking and would like some perspective from Iowa State fans.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I see a lot of posters say that Iowa State played like **** against Iowa yet still won. However, I don't really understand where this is coming from. They shot right near their season average (48% FG, 35% 3PT, 64% FT against Iowa; 49% FG, 37% 3PT, 68% FT for the season) in every category and only turned it over 10 times. This is the third Iowa State game I have watched this season (Mich, BYU) and they played just as well, if not better, than they played in those games.

Is it because Iowa State struggled getting back in transition defense and gave Iowa a lot of easy baskets, so the perception is that Iowa State didn't play well? Or do Iowa State fans just refuse to acknowledge that Iowa's collection of gingers and inferior athletes was able to hang with Fred's bunch? I guess I really just don't understand that line of thinking and would like some perspective from Iowa State fans.

ISU never got in a rhythm offensively and struggled getting big stops which prevented a great run that could get the crowd into the game

Reactions: jkclone

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
While our free throw percentage was near our average, that's because we finished 6-6 from the line at the end of the game when we started to dominate. Before the end of the game, we weren't playing very well and shot 17-30 (56%).

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
I think only the most ignorant of ISU fans will not admit that Iowa is a very good team this year. I also think most of the criticism of the way ISU played is aimed towards ISU's defense. However, this is also partially credit to Iowa's offense. It seemed that Iowa had many wide open looks during the game, at least in comparison to other teams that ISU has played. It would be hard to back up any argument that ISU played poorly offensively.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I don't remember ISU's transition D looking that bad against Michigan or BYU. Maybe Iowa is just that good on the break, I haven't watched them play any other games this year, but it sure seemed like all the talk of having to stay out of foul trouble really messed with their heads on defense. And for as good as guys like Niang played, you had Kane and Thomas definitely looking out of sync compared to what they've shown so far.

Also, just because it's close to their averages doesn't make terrible FT shooting better. It was still terrible FT shooting.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

TL:DR

Go **** yourself.

Scoreboard.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
STOP.

head_bang_by_naries-d4c2e9e.gif

beat_dead_horse2.jpg

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I think only the most ignorant of ISU fans will not admit that Iowa is a very good team this year. I also think most of the criticism of the way ISU played is aimed towards ISU's defense. However, this is also partially credit to Iowa's offense. It seemed that Iowa had many wide open looks during the game, at least in comparison to other teams that ISU has played. It would be hard to back up any argument that ISU played poorly offensively.

Yea, I should have added, I have no problem admitting Iowa has a good team. In fact, we should all thank them in advance for how good they're going to make us look when they start B1G play.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Didn't shoot the 3 ball that well, didn't shoot FT's worth a damn. Slow getting back into transition giving up quite a few easy buckets. Not able to really get into our offense, wether that be Iowa's D our our poor play, not really sure. The only person who really got easy buckets was Niang, thanks to Woodbury's impersonation of a tree.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Validate my favorite team!!!111!!1111!!

#hawkeyetears

AltHawk

Sep 2, 2012
TL:DR

Go **** yourself.

Scoreboard.

If you don't have the attention span to read something for 30 seconds, you might want to see a doctor. Thanks for providing a mature response. You are an exemplary example for all Iowa State fans to follow.

Illiniclone

Jan 20, 2009

Iowa is a good team no doubt, but VERY GOOD TEAMS don't blow big 2nd half leads. They've done so in both of their losses.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
This topic is going to eat Atlhawk and Clark alive. Iowa State can play better defense.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

If you have found a way to score more points than the other team, then you've played pretty well.

I would say that ISU did not have the spacing and ball movement that they have had most of the year, but a lot of credit must go to Iowa for mixing up defenses. When ISU made one extra pass, things went pretty well.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Iowa played very good defense and had an excellent game plan to stop Kane. Which they did. We did a good job of staying close and closing the game out.

I wouldn't say we played terrible, but Iowa definitely gave us all we could handle. We won the game, so yes, I don't think you can say we played a bad game.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Didn't shoot the 3 ball that well, didn't shoot FT's worth a damn. Slow getting back into transition giving up quite a few easy buckets. Not able to really get into our offense, wether that be Iowa's D our our poor play, not really sure. The only person who really got easy buckets was Niang, thanks to Woodbury's impersonation of a tree.

ISU was sleep walking most of the first half. They should have been down by a lot more at half with that effort.

ISU defense was 100% better in the second half. The easy baskets all but went away. Then ISU went to work at the end and closed it out.