Weather thread, 12/19 - 12-22

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
"Honey, I didn't forget the kids. I couldn't find the school due to the blizzard."

-found on snowcraig's tombstone.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
weather.com has been all over the place on this. One minute its a big one. Next minute 0% chance

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
1. Covering 2 different storm systems that have almost a two day break in between them is poor for discussion.
2. The first system is pretty minor, very small accumulations of rain, freezing rain and snow. Should hit Thursday day and night
3. Second storm is much more significant but the models have held it south pretty consistently. Worth watching for central Iowa but at this point SE Iowa looks like a better bet for significant accumulations.

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
Weather.com sucks. Accuweather has been better since I switched over a few months ago...

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
1. Covering 2 different storm systems that have almost a two day break in between them is poor for discussion.
2. The first system is pretty minor, very small accumulations of rain, freezing rain and snow. Should hit Thursday day and night
3. Second storm is much more significant but the models have held it south pretty consistently. Worth watching for central Iowa but at this point SE Iowa looks like a better bet for significant accumulations.

That pretty much covers it for me at this point. Not a lot to add.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I like the Wunderground. They seem pretty accurate and if I'm not mistaken this is the same info as the National Weather Service, only simplified. Did a quick copy-paste of the forecast for Ames, it seems that the only hitch will be on Thursday, the 19th - but the good news would be the high temp (above freezing, anyway, at some point).

Thursday (Dec 19)

Foggy with periods of rain or freezing rain in the afternoon. High around 35F. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precip 50%.

Thursday Night
Cloudy skies. Low 12F. Winds NNW at 15 to 25 mph.

Doesn't say anything about precipitation after that.