Hilton Atmosphere Friday - My Take

sn95gt50

Oct 4, 2013
Hilton was fantastic Friday night, hats off to the student section. The student section is what drives the atmosphere in that place, us "older" people just couldn't do it without you guys driving it. Me and a buddy have 4 season tickets and typically we take our sons along 12 & 15 years old. I love most of your chants, but the profanity in chants like **** the Hawkeyes just takes away from the atmosphere. Most of your chants are great and I just laugh, but some take it a bit too far, it is a bit embarrassing.

Go ahead and flame the old guy...

Reactions: MNCYWX

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
I'm not an old guy and I agree that "F**k the Hawks" has to go. Embarassing. Who cares if the Iowa student section does it. Come up with something funny and appropriate to put down the Hoks.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I want whoever enters Hilton to immediately want to get out and never come back.

I think Gesell and Marble feel that exact way. Mission accomplished.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Every time ISU plays Iowa or Nebraska in any sport that chant's coming out, and it's been coming out of the student section for decades. Deal with it.

The students aren't chanting anything derogatory, they aren't yelling slurs at any players, and aren't chanting about players dead relatives. Quit trying to find things to complain about. Hilton right now is a top 10 atmosphere in college basketball and the students drive that.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
"F*** the Hawkeyes" is a dumb chant we shouldn't do anymore. Let's at least come up with something creative to make fun of them.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Hilton was fantastic Friday night, hats off to the student section. The student section is what drives the atmosphere in that place, us "older" people just couldn't do it without you guys driving it. Me and a buddy have 4 season tickets and typically we take our sons along 12 & 15 years old. I love most of your chants, but the profanity in chants like **** the Hawkeyes just takes away from the atmosphere. Most of your chants are great and I just laugh, but some take it a bit too far, it is a bit embarrassing.

We just win a huge game and you feel the need to come on here and scold our students who camped out starting at 6am the day before for cheering against our hated rival??? Good freaking gosh.

Last edited by a moderator:

CoachBob

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
I agree --- Just use "screw the hawkeyes" instead --- you don't have to lower yourself to that level of language. We are an intelligent fan base..... I do agree with the intention, but I had two 5 year olds in front of me that didn't need to hear it. Other than that, I thought the students were fantastic and have been all year.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
We have done the F the Hawkeyes forever now. Doesn't mean it was right then or right now. Heck I know I did it as a student. But when we start saying that about 1 player like during the Michigan game... Well then that might be taking it too far. He stepped on Naz on accident. Not like he tried to beat him up for $2 and a cell phone.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
Nice personal attach there Wonk.
Would not suprise me to see a crack down coming on this.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
It comes with the territory. Your kids heard a muffled F word. Probably much tamer than what they see every day on the Internet or at school.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

[the Red Hot Chili Peppers are performing on Krusty's show]

Krusty the Clown: Now, boys, the network has a problem with some of your lyrics. Do you mind changing them for the show?

Anthony Kiedis: Forget you, clown.

Chad Smith: Yeah, our lyrics are like our children, man. No way.

Krusty the Clown: Well, okay, but here where it says, "What I got you gotta get and put it in ya," how about just, "What I'd like is I'd like to hug and kiss ya."

Flea: Wow. That's much better.

John Frusciante: Everyone can enjoy that.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
As an old bandie (Huck the Fawks) :twitcy:

I think we all need to stop being embarrassed by what college students say. No public figure after the game was like "can you believe they said that?" I am also sure the Reiman's did not pull their stadium money and any real donor doesn't give a turd because I'd bet every loud and aggressive students section (save the academies and BYU) probably say just as bad if not worse. We can go into the diatribe about how that work has lost any real sting/meaning in this current generation if you want. Its a word that is used casually by modern college student now a day, and has been for at least a decade. I am sure the student section is not ruining virgin ears.

The word and chant are not classy, but it is not like this student section is the one who first started chanting **** the Hawks.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I just don't think F the hawkeyes or F McGary has any place at Hilton. I think that the students have done a great job, but there ARE little kids in attendance (and we DO want to have kids there) and it looks bad on TV. I'm fine with anything else, but they need to get a little more imaginative and leave out the profanity. I'll admit that I use the F word a ton, but you have to understand the setting and audience.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
You deserve flaming, go find something else to whine about you loser. We just win a huge game and you feel the need to come on here and scold our students who camped out starting at 6am the day before for cheering against our hated rival??? Good freaking gosh.

What part of him saying... "Hilton was fantastic Friday night, hats off to the student section" Didn't you read?? He complimented and gave constructive criticism, you will be so lucky to get that when you start your real career after college.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Every time ISU plays Iowa or Nebraska in any sport that chant's coming out, and it's been coming out of the student section for decades. Deal with it.

The students aren't chanting anything derogatory, they aren't yelling slurs at any players, and aren't chanting about players dead relatives. Quit trying to find things to complain about. Hilton right now is a top 10 atmosphere in college basketball and the students drive that.

You are correct. I remember my fellow students doing the chant 30 years ago. However, being a top 10 atmosphere and being classy are not mutually exclusive.

I hated the chant then and I hate it now.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
The students aren't chanting anything derogatory, they aren't yelling slurs at any players, and aren't chanting about players dead relatives.

"you're a ginger" is kind of borderline. I actually think "you're a ginger" would be funnier if a non-ginger was shooting.

CloneCone10

Dec 15, 2013

The chants will continue and starting a thread on CF is going to accomplish anything. If you cant beat them, join em. Also f*** the hoks.

hexodat64

Dec 5, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I just don't think F the hawkeyes or F McGary has any place at Hilton. I think that the students have done a great job, but there ARE little kids in attendance (and we DO want to have kids there) and it looks bad on TV. I'm fine with anything else, but they need to get a little more imaginative and leave out the profanity. I'll admit that I use the F word a ton, but you have to understand the setting and audience.

A college game where college students use profanity? Look, it's not the nicest things being chanted, but isn't that the point? As long as it isn't really derogatory, it's not a big deal. This is all a moot point anyways, are people going to tell all the students you can't say ****?