Miller und Brinson: Canada Boy

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
You would think Miller would keep his mouth shut about hating women's basketball SINCE Coach Fen is one of the greatest interviews around.

Why Canada Boy marginalizes a very important sport in this state is really stupid. But KXNO is consistent ... Banal blab from guessing birthdays, hawk gab, and the droning Canadian slamming two rated women's' teams (ISU & Iowa). Truly a bigoted and idiotic posture by Miller.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I don't mind Millers honesty one bit. I would rather he avoid the topic altogether than try to fake like he knows what he's talking about for a 10 minute segment (unlike Travis Justice).

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I want to see anyone here who can honestly say that they care about women's basketball when ISU is not involved. I love the ladies, but let's be honest, when its not ISU, women's basketball is about the same as watching a high school men's JV team.

Miller is just being honest, he's not an ISU or Iowa grad, so why would he care much about women's ball. Miller basically operates on two principles, he likes whoever is doing well, and he says things to stir the pot.

Reactions: kingcy

Tri

Sep 10, 2009
I never post here but need to say I have come to appreciate Millers "calls it as he sees it" comments. He and Brinson are completely neutral regarding Clones/Hawks. Also enjoy Miller's wit and dry sense of humor.
GO CYCLONES

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
You would think Miller would keep his mouth shut about hating women's basketball SINCE Coach Fen is one of the greatest interviews around.

Why Canada Boy marginalizes a very important sport in this state is really stupid. But KXNO is consistent ... Banal blab from guessing birthdays, hawk gab, and the droning Canadian slamming two rated women's' teams (ISU & Iowa). Truly a bigoted and idiotic posture by Miller.

:twitcy:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Ken Miller might be my favorite personality on KXNO. Love his honesty. He's always been fascinated with how dedicated clone fans are as well.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
If ISU wasn't any good at women's basketball most diehard ISU fans wouldn't care either. Not many fans would go out of their way to watch women's basketball. For me its nice we have a good team, I will follow the scores, but I don't get to excited about it until NCAA time.

You have to remember they have to keep people listening to their show also. If you talk women's BB people stop listening.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Smart journalism would be if you don't like it and don't want to cover it then just ignore it. You are just ******* off listeners (ISU, Iowa, UNI, Drake and even high school WBB fans) by berating it. Sure some of them will be drawn to you in a negative way but many more will be driven away. The last thing you want to do is drive away listeners in a competitive radio market.

Disclaimer: I don't really have an opportunity to listen to the show so I am going strictly off of what is posted here.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I never post here but need to say I have come to appreciate Millers "calls it as he sees it" comments. He and Brinson are completely neutral regarding Clones/Hawks. Also enjoy Miller's wit and dry sense of humor.
GO CYCLONES

You serious, Clark?

Women's basketball would be awesome if the lady hawks won last night. If the Clones win tonight, all they'll talk about on Monday is the Outback Bowl.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
You serious, Clark? Women's basketball would be awesome if the lady hawks won last night. If the Clones win tonight, all they'll talk about on Monday is the Outback Bowl.

Maybe Miller is a slight Iowa lean, but Brinson has seemed pretty high on our team this year, at least since the Michigan game. They pretty much both shamelessly favor whichever program they perceive as the strongest at the time.

And I don't think Miller goes out of his way to bash WBB, which is the only time it really bugs me. He'll pretty much just say he doesn't care if the topic comes up on the show and leave it at that.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Disagree with OP... If he doesnt like it, then he doesnt like it. I dont think he randomly hates on womens basketball, but if it gets brought up, then he doesnt want to keep talking about it. I cant say that I disagree. If they start talking womens ball, then Im switching the station for 5 min.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
You serious, Clark?

Women's basketball would be awesome if the lady hawks won last night. If the Clones win tonight, all they'll talk about on Monday is the Outback Bowl.

They are most definitely neutral...if anything, Miller is a Clone lean.

As far as womens basketball, Miller does not go out of his way to bash it, he will just state his opinion every time its brought up. Unfortunately, he is right. In-state rival between two ranked teams, and the attendance was only 11,500. I get that this would top just about any other rivalry out there in womens basketball, but it just goes to show that people are not near as passionate for womens basketball as they are for mens. When you host a radio show, it makes sense to cover things that people want to hear, not things that will make some turn their radio station.

Last edited:

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
If ISU wasn't any good at women's basketball most diehard ISU fans wouldn't care either. Not many fans would go out of their way to watch women's basketball. For me its nice we have a good team, I will follow the scores, but I don't get to excited about it until NCAA time.

You have to remember they have to keep people listening to their show also. If you talk women's BB people stop listening.

Seems like a waste of time and money to bring it up then, even if it's just to make fun of it. Plus the only thing you're doing is getting the people who don't care about it to change the station, and the people who do care about it to find a new show to listen to. It's just dumb all around.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
They are most definitely neutral...if anything, Miller is a Clone lean.

As far as womens basketball, Miller does not go out of his way to bash it, he will just state his opinion every time its brought up. Unfortunately, he is right. In-state rival between two ranked teams, and the attendance was only 11,500. I get that this would top just about any other rivalry out there in womens basketball, but it just goes to show that people are not near as passionate for womens basketball as they are for mens. When you host a radio show, it makes sense to cover things that people want to hear, not things that will make some turn their radio station.

Earth shattering news!!!

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Seems like a waste of time and money to bring it up then, even if it's just to make fun of it. Plus the only thing you're doing is getting the people who don't care about it to change the station, and the people who do care about it to find a new show to listen to. It's just dumb all around.

I didn't catch whatever segment has the OP all upset, but I really doubt Miller brought it up. Brinson has a habit of bringing up things he thinks are important or would be good topics and getting shut down by Ken. I doubt Miller said anything worse about WBB than he says about early season NBA games when Jim gets going on that.