OC Search: Rumblings from Thursday night

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
So I worked the phone quite a bit tonight and while I don't have many specifics for you, I have made a little bit of headway on Paul Rhoads' search for his replacement of Courtney Messingham as Iowa State's offensive coordinator.

Regarding that FootballScoop.com "report" from earlier in the week about Chris Klenakis and/or Todd Sturdy "likely" taking over the spot, I'm not saying that report will end up being wrong (as I still keep hearing that theory being tossed around), but I'm not sold that is the route Rhoads will go either.

In fact, I am hearing that at least two or three other high-major assistants are at the very least interested in the job (I do not know if these assistants are current OC's or position coaches). I do not have any specific names to report at this time either.

But the whole "Rhoads is just going to hand the job off to Sturdy or Klenakis" theory is inaccurate at this time, in my opinion. Again, and I want to make this clear, I am not ruling out that one of those two men could eventually win the job. That possibility is still very much in play. But based off of working some sources tonight, I do believe that others are still in the mix.

I plan to write more about this topic later on tonight and should have a full story posted for you guys by the time you wake up tomorrow morning.

Reactions: j4state

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
In fact, I am hearing that at least two or three other high-major assistants are at the very least interested in the job (I do not know if these assistants are current OC's or position coaches).

Let the speculation begin.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Great work, thanks Chris...I think this goes to my theory of the answer to the question many have asked about if TS or CK get it why it didn't happen mid season...even if it does go that way, it wasn't pre-determined prior to this process working it's way thru.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So I worked the phone quite a bit tonight and while I don't have many specifics for you, I have made a little bit of headway on Paul Rhoads' search for his replacement of Courtney Messingham as Iowa State's offensive coordinator.

Regarding that FootballScoop.com "report" from earlier in the week about Chris Klenakis and/or Todd Sturdy "likely" taking over the spot, I'm not saying that report will end up being wrong (as I still keep hearing that theory being tossed around), but I'm not sold that is the route Rhoads will go either.

In fact, I am hearing that at least two or three other high-major assistants are at the very least interested in the job (I do not know if these assistants are current OC's or position coaches). I do not have any specific names to report at this time either.

But the whole "Rhoads is just going to hand the job off to Sturdy or Klenakis" theory is inaccurate at this time, in my opinion. Again, and I want to make this clear, I am not ruling out that one of those two men could eventually win the job. That possibility is still very much in play. But based off of working some sources tonight, I do believe that others are still in the mix.

I plan to write more about this topic later on tonight and should have a full story posted for you guys by the time you wake up tomorrow morning.

Quite right. No sleep for you!

Thanks, CW

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Klenakis has a better resume than anyone who could be in consideration. I've come around to that, and I'm actually hoping that he's the guy at this point. If Rhoads hires a guy with a better resume, I'll be happy to be wrong.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Chris, have you heard anything about where Messingham might go? Or Pope?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Heard rumblings that Pope might retire. He's at that age for it to be a possibility.

Mess is looking for work but have not heard of a specific school yet. Most of that moving happens after the start of the new year.

I wondered if Pope was simply the guy to be fired because he was close to retirement, and they wanted to open up a spot. There's some bad blood there if they fired him the day after the season ended before giving him the chance to retire on his own...