Travis Hines' article on the classic '87 ISU-Iowa game

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I remember standing under the east basket before the game and Jesse Jackson walked up and shook my hand and it took me a second to even realize who he was because I was caught off guard. He had some kind of green seed corn jacket on, maybe Pioneer or DeKalb. I thought it was cool that he was there, it added to the game.
I wish I had been paying attention when Orr and Close got into it but I never even saw it.
Great article though, and it brings back a lot of memories.

I have to edit this. I do remember one funny incident and it must have been when they were arguing about the time on the clock. But Tom Davis slammed his fist on the scorers table and there was an old dial phone on the table and the receiver flew in the air. I think that might have been the most ****** off I've ever seen a coach.

Last edited:

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I watched that game on cyclones.tv this week. I may have watched it live, but I would have been quite young and I don't remember it. The game was just crazy, it seemed like the whole thing was - Iowa shoots and gets offensive rebounds until they score, then ISU throws it over their press for a 3-2 break, and repeat. For 45 minutes. After watching it, I was amazed the score was only 90-90 at the end of regulation.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Good stuff. Gets me pumped for the game. I hope we can get it that loud again ALL GAME LONG!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I watched that game on cyclones.tv this week. I may have watched it live, but I would have been quite young and I don't remember it. The game was just crazy, it seemed like the whole thing was - Iowa shoots and gets offensive rebounds until they score, then ISU throws it over their press for a 3-2 break, and repeat. For 45 minutes. After watching it, I was amazed the score was only 90-90 at the end of regulation.

Agree. That was classic Johnny Orr basketball. I believe his philosophy was you don't have to defend them if you score enough. It sure was fun to watch.

I had totally forgotten that Victor (as a freshman) played some on that team.

EddyCy

Jan 27, 2013
Eddyville, IA
I got chills reading the new quotes. If I am not mistaken, Lafester had 2, if not 3 4 point plays in that game. Gunna be a good one Friday as well.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I remember standing under the east basket before the game and Jesse Jackson walked up and shook my hand and it took me a second to even realize who he was because I was caught off guard. He had some kind of green seed corn jacket on, maybe Pioneer or DeKalb. I thought it was cool that he was there, it added to the game.
I wish I had been paying attention when Orr and Close got into it but I never even saw it.
Great article though, and it brings back a lot of memories.

I have to edit this. I do remember one funny incident and it must have been when they were arguing about the time on the clock. But Tom Davis slammed his fist on the scorers table and there was an old dial phone on the table and the receiver flew in the air. I think that might have been the most ****** off I've ever seen a coach.

The phone thing: Are you sure you're not thinking of Bobby Knight in the regional finals vs. LSU?

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
It was a snowy night where we lived and I remember watching the game with my family jumping up and down in the living room, it was so intense. It's great that they are showing it again on Cyclones TV, brings back great memories.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
The phone thing: Are you sure you're not thinking of Bobby Knight in the regional finals vs. LSU?
No, I'm pretty sure Davis did it too, because I remember having a perfect view of it and it was one of the lasting memories I took out of the game. The phones are right by the clock operator and those tables aren't made out of granite so it probably doesn't take much to knock the receiver in the air. It was a long time ago though so I can't promise that I'm not mistaken.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
No, I'm pretty sure Davis did it too, because I remember having a perfect view of it and it was one of the lasting memories I took out of the game. The phones are right by the clock operator and those tables aren't made out of granite so it probably doesn't take much to knock the receiver in the air. It was a long time ago though so I can't promise that I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, back then the scorer's table was just a line of folding plastic tables with a skirt on the front; hit it hard and you are going to get a good bounce.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Still one of the most incredible sporting events that I have seen in my life. Just an unbelievable game and a once in a lifetime individual performance.

Watching the replay, it almost seemed like a quiet 54 points by Rhodes, if that's possible. Sure he scored a lot, but he never really took over the game or anything.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Fred's quote about Lafester:

I don’t think he was sweating at the end of the game.

If CF existed, it would have exploded... No sweating?!?!?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Do you think it will be so loud again during introductions that the players won't hear their names and won't know when to come out on the court? It would be great if someone were pointing and telling us when to come out, but not pointing and not telling Iowa when to come out.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
"The game began with the Hilton Coliseum crowd of 14,636 at a fever pitch, becoming so loud before tipoff that Grayer was introduced twice because he couldn’t hear his cue to get off the bench."

This was the loudest game I have ever witnessed in Hilton. It was rocking from the start and once Lafester started his shooting, it was like one huge party. It was so much fun. I was 6 rows up from the floor in the student section. I don't think we sat down once during the game.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Watching the replay, it almost seemed like a quiet 54 points by Rhodes, if that's possible. Sure he scored a lot, but he never really took over the game or anything.

Rhoads! :plaugh:

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
It was an awesome game to be at. I was so stoked to be able to buy the DVD of the game because it was so hard to take it all in -- total pandamonium. I didn't know about the players not being able to hear their names being called until I got the DVD. That's LOUD.

CORoadrunner

Aug 16, 2012
Great article. Thanks. I remember they opened up a couple hundred tickets for the game, and we waited out all night in front of the Jacobson building to get them, never knowing how worth it that wait would be. We were in the rafters on the end, but we were in the building, which is all that mattered. My most poignant memory was when time expired in regulation. Everyone I was with just sat down. We were so tired from screaming and cheering the whole game, I could not imagine having to do it for another 5 minutes game time. Then OT started and all tiredness was forgotten again.

Certainly one of my best memories from Iowa State.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Great article. Thanks. I remember they opened up a couple hundred tickets for the game, and we waited out all night in front of the Jacobson building to get them, never knowing how worth it that wait would be. We were in the rafters on the end, but we were in the building, which is all that mattered. My most poignant memory was when time expired in regulation. Everyone I was with just sat down. We were so tired from screaming and cheering the whole game, I could not imagine having to do it for another 5 minutes game time. Then OT started and all tiredness was forgotten again.

Certainly one of my best memories from Iowa State.

Olsen building? The Jake was built around 1995.