RECRUITING: Reasons to be excited about JUCO commits

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
I think the JUCO recruiting says more about the lack of talent and development in CPR's 11' and 12' recruiting classes than it does the talent level of these JUCO kids. You go the JUCO route 1) if there is an amazing prospect that can start for you and really sticks out or 2) you have to recruit JUCO b/c your current crop of kids is not very good. I think the latter is the case.

kyle22kjs

Nov 2, 2012
Bill Snyder has done fairly well over the years with bringing in JUCO kids. Our own Fred Hoiberg is doing this same thing in basketball (I know Basketball isn't the same). I don't have any problem with this approach.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I think the JUCO recruiting says more about the lack of talent and development in CPR's 11' and 12' recruiting classes than it does the talent level of these JUCO kids. You go the JUCO route 1) if there is an amazing prospect that can start for you and really sticks out or 2) you have to recruit JUCO b/c your current crop of kids is not very good. I think the latter is the case.

I don't think anybody is arguing that. Obviously this staff has missed on a handful of LB's over the years. Needs across the board on defense. But that still doesn't take away from the fact that we think ​these guys should be able to contribute from day one, unlike some Rhoads JUCO's of the past.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Bill Snyder has done fairly well over the years with bringing in JUCO kids. Our own Fred Hoiberg is doing this same thing in basketball (I know Basketball isn't the same). I don't have any problem with this approach.
Pretty sure I have never heard how great Bill Snyder has done with JuCO recruiting before...... :pconfused:

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I think you really don't know what you have with Jucos until they get on campus. KU signed some very highly rated Jucos last year and some of them did not pan out.
Heck Anthony Young and Chris Young were 4 stars.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
On ex-Cyclone linebacker that was a complete stud and I don't think gets enough credit and mention from the past that was also a JC transfer is Alvin Bowen, Dobbins always gets brought up, but Bowen had more college accolades, and still plays professionally (CFL).....

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
I don't think anybody is arguing that. Obviously this staff has missed on a handful of LB's over the years. Needs across the board on defense.

Call it settling if you will, but I am ok with the staff missing on a few LB's if the one's they get right continue to be All Big12 caliber.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006

Class balance is another reason to go the Juco route. The current sophmore class has 14 scholarship athletes. Nine of those sophmores are on offense while 5 are on defense. Bringing in multiple Jucos on the defensive side in this recruiting class helps keep the balance in each class.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I hear what you're saying Chris, I really do. Rhoads has done much better lately with the JUCOs, no doubt. I just get a little heartburn when we move from "needing" 2 or 3 JUCOs in a given year, to 6 or 8. It smells a little desperate to be doing 6-8 JUCOs in after Year 5.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012

Why are these things mutually exclusive? Did you even read Chris' article. You clearly missed his premise.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
To some degree I think the talk about lack of development/recruiting should focus much more on the DBs and LBs and not really on DL. We are always going to have availability for JUCO DL guys due to the nature of recruiting those positions to Ames. We were fortunate in '12 and '13 to get some DL guys in there but hadn't really had much luck prior to that Rhoads' first 3 recruiting cycles. Essentially will be always be open for business for quality, immediate impact DL guys.

I can even accept to some degree the need for a JUCO LB to compete right away with the losses sustained in HS LB recruiting, not that I'm ok with the losses.

I am pretty dissapointed at how much need there is for JUCO DBs. This is a position group that ISU should be able to recruit players to. Of the '10(will be seniors), '11 classes(will be juniors) and '12 classes of recruits, we only have 4 active DBs in Richardson, Lynn, Matt Thomas and TJ Mutcherson. Those 3 classes were very light on DBs and we now are paying for it.

By all accounts our JUCO DB guys are great players and if McDaniel signs up we will be looking good but I am concerned that we are falling into a cyclic pattern of recruitment like McCarney where we are too light on certain positions and then try to back fill 2-3 years later to adjust.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I hear what you're saying Chris, I really do. Rhoads has done much better lately with the JUCOs, no doubt. I just get a little heartburn when we move from "needing" 2 or 3 JUCOs in a given year, to 6 or 8. It smells a little desperate to be doing 6-8 JUCOs in after Year 5.
Said bill snyder.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
To some degree I think the talk about lack of development/recruiting should focus much more on the DBs and LBs and not really on DL. We are always going to have availability for JUCO DL guys due to the nature of recruiting those positions to Ames. We were fortunate in '12 and '13 to get some DL guys in there but hadn't really had much luck prior to that Rhoads' first 3 recruiting cycles. Essentially will be always be open for business for quality, immediate impact DL guys.

I can even accept to some degree the need for a JUCO LB to compete right away with the losses sustained in HS LB recruiting, not that I'm ok with the losses.

I am pretty dissapointed at how much need there is for JUCO DBs. This is a position group that ISU should be able to recruit players to. Of the '10(will be seniors), '11 classes(will be juniors) and '12 classes of recruits, we only have 4 active DBs in Richardson, Lynn, Matt Thomas and TJ Mutcherson. Those 3 classes were very light on DBs and we now are paying for it.

By all accounts our JUCO DB guys are great players and if McDaniel signs up we will be looking good but I am concerned that we are falling into a cyclic pattern of recruitment like McCarney where we are too light on certain positions and then try to back fill 2-3 years later to adjust.

I'll bet money that one of the starting safeties isn't one of these JUCO guys and I'll bet there isn't a JUCO corner starting next year. Trey Scott said four starters and I bet it's only two. DE and one of the safeties. Tribune will start and Richardson/Lynn will start.