Three Thoughts on Thursday: How about this guy for OC?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Always stirring things up, aren't you CW?

Alford seems like the kind of guy I would want on staff, but he would be a risky hire because he hasn't yet proven himself as an OC. I just don't see Rhoads taking that chance.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
If Saban ends up at Texas, I have been wondering what would happen if he fails to win the NCAA title after his second season there.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I want Alford back in the worst of ways... Oh, you're not talking about Steve at Iowa? :jimlad: Tony coached some great backs, and what a recruiter. He would always be welcome at ISU in any capacity.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Wouldn't it be great if Alford came here and gave credit to Lazard for the sales pitch he made on his official visit to Notre Dame?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Always stirring things up, aren't you CW?

Alford seems like the kind of guy I would want on staff, but he would be a risky hire because he hasn't yet proven himself as an OC. I just don't see Rhoads taking that chance.
Like Mess?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Regarding the Vikings.. My brother is a huge Vikings fan. Sent me a text on Sunday saying Minnesota can't even screw up tis attemp to get the first draft choice. We keep trying to win. Then baltimore scored and he send me a text back saying, nevermind. I guess we can screw it up. Followed by another text saying Ok we are screweing it up again. I got about 4 texts over the next couple minutes do to all the scoring. Ladies and gents,,, The Vikings. Trying to screw up the first round draft choice is very hard for them to do.

ChickenWing

Dec 22, 2008
Des Moines
I'm curious how you know he is a bright offensive mind since he has been a position coach. Is it his game planning, call sequencing or adjustments?

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Seems like a solid choice. He was a running backs coach here, yes? I imagine that might play into CPR's run first mentality. Also, I really hope Saban goes to Texas. Sure they are going to be near impossible to beat, but the Big XII desperately needs at least one of it's flagship programs back.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I'm a bit confused on the article... it seemed like it began by discussing a hypothetical person to replace Rhoads (which would be Alford) but then, without actually making the transition, just implies that we are now talking about the OC job? ("I have not heard a single word that would indicate Alford is a serious candidate for this job." -- "this job" isn't defined, I guess we all just mentally go to replacing Mess... then again, the RB coach slot is open, too!)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron