Texas coaches

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
If reports are true (which I hope not) and Mack Brown steps down as coach of Texas, are there any assistant coaches that are on his current staff that you guys would like to see ISU try to hire? ISU has no shot at their Defensive Coordinator (the guy made a huge impact on that side of the ball for them). I hope the reports are not true but if Brown steps down then I hope Satan, I mean Saban stays at Alabama.

TRZA

Mar 4, 2009
West Side of Des Moines
The assistants all coach "the way Mack wants them to....". From the outside, its hard to tell who is the good coordinator/position coach/recruiter and who is just "friends with Mack".

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
I gotta believe Mack Brown stays unless they KNOW Saban will sign on the dotted line. My guess is Saban has a tough decision to make and is wishy washy right now, which is why this whole Mack Brown "expected" to resign later this week stuff is hitting the street. Texas probably gave Saban a deadline to decide of Friday-Saturday or Sunday night. IMO, the only reason Brown is "expected to resign" (or forced to) is if Saban says he is coming to Texas. Otherwise they would have fired him by now. Kind of crappy of Texas IMO.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think the timing of all this is mostly about Texas wanting to be in the limelight, even after a disappointing football season (defined as not making a BCS bowl) and diverting attention away from the forthcoming bad basketball season.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I really think Mack will resign, but I have no idea who they'd hire if they can't get Saban. A lot of the good options are already taken. There is always the coordinators route to go also. Honestly, if Brown is done and they can't get Saban I wouldn't be stunned if Tom Herman was near the top of their list.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I gotta believe Mack Brown stays unless they KNOW Saban will sign on the dotted line. My guess is Saban has a tough decision to make and is wishy washy right now, which is why this whole Mack Brown "expected" to resign later this week stuff is hitting the street. Texas probably gave Saban a deadline to decide of Friday-Saturday or Sunday night. IMO, the only reason Brown is "expected to resign" (or forced to) is if Saban says he is coming to Texas. Otherwise they would have fired him by now. Kind of crappy of Texas IMO.
Especially since the guy won Texas several conference championships and a national title. It's really too bad he won't leave on his terms and is being forced out like this. Another reason why college football is all about money anymore.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Especially since the guy won Texas several conference championships and a national title. It's really too bad he won't leave on his terms and is being forced out like this. Another reason why college football is all about money anymore.

Heard a lot down here, that he may remain in some role at the university as a "consultant," cut his pay in half, but have him still be around the program.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Some of the coaching search websites have Jim Harbaugh as a candidate

Hard to imagine Jim Harbaugh being able to get along with all the big time Texas donors. He just doesn't seem like the glad-handing cocktail party type.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010

Yeah, would be VERY interesting to be a fly on the wall in the AD office down that way. I'm sure agents are calling on behalf of Saben and Mack, gauging donor interests, etc (all knowing Alabama is doing the same thing).

If they do make him "resign," and fall short with the next hire, there certainly would be fans frustrated. I'm sure though they basically are willing to pay more than they are for Mack and that is in the upper $5 mil range, so they could attract about anyone they wanted to.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
I really think Mack will resign, but I have no idea who they'd hire if they can't get Saban. A lot of the good options are already taken. There is always the coordinators route to go also. Honestly, if Brown is done and they can't get Saban I wouldn't be stunned if Tom Herman was near the top of their list.

I'm not sure Texas knows who they will hire if Saban doesn't come either. Seems like they are rolling the dice and trying to seize this opportunity while the iron is hot. I'd be ok with it if Brown was already gone. But what a classless move by their Administration to slow play Mack Brown like this.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Some of the coaching search websites have Jim Harbaugh as a candidate
I don't know why anybody would go down to college to coach when they are successful as an NFL HC and don't have to recruit players. Maybe Texas would make the pay better but it isn't worth it IMHO.

Clonefan4628

Jan 10, 2012

I promise you he is not a candidate at Texas.

canker2323

Oct 22, 2006
What Cheer, IA
I don't know why anybody would go down to college to coach when they are successful as an NFL HC and don't have to recruit players. Maybe Texas would make the pay better but it isn't worth it IMHO.

Petrino (Falcons) and Saban (Dolphins) went down to college from pro. A lot of college head coaches make more than pro coaches.

EDIT: Just re-read your post and Petrino and Saban weren't successful NFL coaches.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Petrino (Falcons) and Saban (Dolphins) went down to college from pro. A lot of college head coaches make more than pro coaches.

Those guys weren't coming off very impressive seasons either. Saban went 9-7 and 6-10 in back to back years. Petrino was 3-10 in the partial season he coached.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
It just wouldn't stun me. At this point their options would be NFL coaches, college coordinators, and less then impressive college head coaches.

Really? With their facilities, location, and money I think they probably can offer quite a few impressive coaches.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Believe it or not being an OC for Urban in a program that loses once in two years is pretty impressive.

It's nice, but Texas aims a lot higher than that.
When they hired Mack Brown, he was coming off consecutive 10 win seasons at North Carolina. That's more impressive than being a coordinator.

Texas doesn't have a stoop to being some aspiring head coach's step up the ladder into head coaching. Texas looks for the head coach who is looking to cap off his career.

Clonefan4628

Jan 10, 2012
They are not the type of school to go after a BCS coordinator. This is one of the top 3 jobs in college football, if not the best. It will either be a proven BCS head coach or an NFL head coach or coordinator. Two names I have heard from colleges have been Saban and Stanford's David Shaw as well as Lovie Smith and both Harbaugh brothers.