Right to search my bag?

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
There is a middle school in our conference that has a janitor that stands at the gym entrance checking everyone's paper/plastic bags that they bring in, not purses or camera bags, to see if they have any food or drinks other than water. One time I brought in a paper bag with an apple and some crackers as a snack for my sister who was playing bball at the time. The janitor asked what was in the bag and I told her food. Then she asked to look in the bag, I complied because I wasn't in the mood to start an argument or anything. So she said I couldn't bring that in the gym, so I went to the lunchroom, out of her line of sight, and put the stuff in my camera bag, and walked back in.

So I'm wondering if the school/janitor has the right to look in such bags. I don't believe they do. I'm pretty sure I can refuse her request. Am I correct?

Oh and this woman yelled at a 10 year old girl for eating ONE fruit snack in the gym. She had like 3 more in her hand and she told her to leave the gym.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I suppose she could just follow you and ask you to leave as soon as you take the food out of the bag.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
There is a middle school in our conference that has a janitor that stands at the gym entrance checking everyone's paper/plastic bags that they bring in, not purses or camera bags, to see if they have any food or drinks other than water. One time I brought in a paper bag with an apple and some crackers as a snack for my sister who was playing bball at the time. The janitor asked what was in the bag and I told her food. Then she asked to look in the bag, I complied because I wasn't in the mood to start an argument or anything. So she said I couldn't bring that in the gym, so I went to the lunchroom, out of her line of sight, and put the stuff in my camera bag, and walked back in.

So I'm wondering if the school/janitor has the right to look in such bags. I don't believe they do. I'm pretty sure I can refuse her request. Am I correct?

Oh and this woman yelled at a 10 year old girl for eating ONE fruit snack in the gym. She had like 3 more in her hand and she told her to leave the gym.

Dude, you're arguing with a middle school janitor.

Reactions: Angie

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I also like how you make this about your "rights", but add the anecdote about the janitor and the fruit snacks. That really doesn't add to your "rights" argument.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Erin Andrews can search my bag any time she wants to.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Just so this thread isn't a complete waste of everyone's time...here's a link to a thread with a link to Erin Andrews in spandex:

http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/off-topic/180691-30-minutes-erin-andrews-surely-worth-10-right.html

Admittedly, that's only of marginal value, but I feel it's an improvement.

I see your Erin Andrews, and raise you a kangaroo playing air guitar.

Hz3mmkf.gif

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
I don't know if they have the right to search your bags. However, they DO have the right to refuse to let you in.

Just curious, are there any signs at the entrance of the gym that say, "no food or beverages"?

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I would pull your kid out of school right away......don't want them growing up in an environment like that.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Is it any different than the bag check at JTS, or at the airport? Ultimately, you have the right to refuse, but then they have the right to keep you out.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I think that if you refuse a bag search they can refuse you entry and ask you to leave the property. This is private (well public if its a school but you get the point) and they can make the rules as they see fit and you must comply. Similar to if you refuse a bag search going into Jack Trice, they won't let you in.