Football Scoop hints at Sturdy/or Klenakis promotion

hexodat64

Dec 5, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Both fine guys, but I'm not sure I like this. I really feel like we could use something new from the outside. This seems like it could be a mistake

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Hmmmmmm. I has a suspicion this could be the case. Kind of wish there was new blood coming in. Guess we will see what happens.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Awesome, because this didn't fail miserably last time. This is your job on the line Rhoads. I guess I'd rather have Sturdy take over. The only line of reasoning I can see for this is to keep recruits on board. Would really really rather prefer an outside hire, someone new and excited to revamp this fan bases spirits for next season. I'm looking forward to next year but promoting within again doesn't give me much confidence.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Klenakis hasn't even been here for a full calendar year. I'd call him new blood.

If we hadn't hired him this past off-season, people would be jacked about the hire. I strongly prefer him to Sturdy.

Look at his resume and quit blindly saying stuff like "hire from outside". This dude knows how to put a successful offense together, and is a run-first type guy who would create an offensive identity. Mess's resume did not support the promotion nearly as much as this does. Yeah, both Mess and Klenakis were on-staff prior to becoming OC, but that's where the similarities end. Klenakis is 10x more qualified for that job than Mess ever was.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Did we not see this coming with the initial hiring of Coach K? It is hard to imagine that he came here not expecting to become OC. Rhoads may have told him that he still had to give Mess another chance, but then the job would be his if Mess didn't deliver. And here we are.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Klenakis hasn't even been here for a full calendar year. I'd call him new blood.

If we hadn't hired him this past off-season, people would be jacked about the hire. I strongly prefer him to Sturdy.

This is true. I suspect that despite all the hype about the Pistol and such leading into the season, Klenakis didn't get as much of a chance to implement his ideas as he would have liked. Plus, we'll still be hiring 2-3 new people to fill in at RB coach, QB coach, OL coach, etc.. There will still be plenty of new blood on that offensive coaching staff.

upstateclone

Sep 26, 2013
South Cackalacky
Klenakis has been there for a year, not exactly old blood. He's one of the innovators of the offense we're going to be running. I think he's an all-around qualified person to run the offense.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
mckayla-maroney-meme-getty.jpg

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Well if this is the case hire someone to specifically coach the quarterbacks please!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Look at his resume and quit blindly saying stuff like "hire from outside". This dude knows how to put a successful offense together, and is a run-first type guy who would create an offensive identity. Mess's resume did not support the promotion nearly as much as this does. Yeah, both Mess and Klenakis were on-staff prior to becoming OC, but that's where the similarities end. Klenakis is 10x more qualified for that job than Mess ever was.

A month ago, I would have fumed at this idea but you bring up a great point. Remove the last year from Klenakis's resume and it looks pretty good. Certainly much better than Mess's. They do need to find a capable QB coach. I would bring in Flynn. He's a guy who is likely pretty impressionable yet, not set so firmly in his ways and I believe is qualified to do that job. You probably bring some ties in to Texas too. So then, you probably have two more guys to go out and hire. One is probably and Oline coach because I think doing the OC job and coaching 15 guys on the team is too much.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Agree with Al, people would have fawned over Coach K if he was hired as the OC last year. I've only seen a little bit of him in interviews and videos but seems like a coach who can be the leader the offense needs.

IMO it would be a huge risk for CPR, if Coach K doesn't work out that's twice he's been unable to evaluate an OC that he's spent a lot of time around.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
At first glace I was not to happy about this, but neither of these two would be that bad of a hire; it is certainly a better move then promoting Messingham was. My first choice would be to bring in some new blood/fresh ideas, but this wont make me that unhappy, I guess.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
If we hire Coach K or Strudy, do you think we bring in Sage as a QB coach or something. What about Todd Blythe as a WR coach? I think he is at UNI

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

I get what you are saying but unless Klenakis had NO input into our offense, he didn't exactly light the world on fire this season. My biggest concern is player development...we just didn't see that much with the offense (until the last 2 games against the worst 2 defenses in the B12).

That said, I trust Rhoads and if Klenakis is the guy then I trust he did his due diligence.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I'd be behind coach k all the way . His energy is a perfect fit for CPR. He's also a proven oc.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Awesome, because this didn't fail miserably last time. This is your job on the line Rhoads. I guess I'd rather have Sturdy take over. The only line of reasoning I can see for this is to keep recruits on board. Would really really rather prefer an outside hire, someone new and excited to revamp this fan bases spirits for next season. I'm looking forward to next year but promoting within again doesn't give me much confidence.

You do know that installing a new offense had growing pains right? We partially installed the pistol this year on top of the mess hermann playbook. Klenakis imo is the most logical hire to move forward without taking a step backwards first. He can fully install his playbook. He hahas an awesome resume. He would have been a quick hire away had he not got the prpromtion.

Last edited:

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I get what you are saying but unless Klenakis had NO input into our offense, he didn't exactly light the world on fire this season. My biggest concern is player development...we just didn't see that much with the offense (until the last 2 games against the worst 2 defenses in the B12).

That said, I trust Rhoads and if Klenakis is the guy then I trust he did his due diligence.

I'm sure it was an uphill battle for him to install his stuff on top of the existing playbook while dealing with an OC that was desperately trying to prove he knew what he was doing.