Benchwarmers in ankeny

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
Experienced my first game day atmosphere at benchwarmers since I didn't have tickets to Wells Fargo and I don't have mediacom. Gotta say it was pretty awesome and I think I will probably return for several road games this year. Awesome cyclone bar!

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Experienced my first game day atmosphere at benchwarmers since I didn't have tickets to Wells Fargo and I don't have mediacom. Gotta say it was pretty awesome and I think I will probably return for several road games this year. Awesome cyclone bar!

Great atmosphere, great owners, though I like it a little less packed than it was last night. A few hawk fans in there too, though the place was absolutely dominated by the Clone fans for our game.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Good food and a great location for Cyclone fans (and the few Hawks we have to put up with).

We had lunch there yesterday. Knew it would be a little crowded for dinner time and I have Cyclones.tv

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
We got there at 4:10 and got one of the last tables. The few Panther fans that were vocal the first half got very quiet the second half. A lot of fans surrounded the bar area. And if you was one of them that I kept jabbing in the back thanks for being friendly and helpful. 4'10" people see alot of elbows in crowds.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
They have good drink prices usually. And usually decent looking waitresses

cykocy

Dec 22, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I was there last night as well. Great gameday atmosphere packed to the gills with ISU faithful. Only reason it was a little cramped is because they were pretty much the only place in Iowa that ran cable.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I was there last night as well. Great gameday atmosphere packed to the gills with ISU faithful. Only reason it was a little cramped is because they were pretty much the only place in Iowa that ran cable.

To show you how big of a "Cyclone bar" that place really is, I'm almost 100 percent sure they got cable installed just for Saturday.

zmanzbo

Apr 11, 2006
Glad they support but.... Not great food, dirty dining room and rest room areas. Wanted to like it but would never eat there again. Drink maybe. Good crowd and fun watching the game though

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Glad they support but.... Not great food, dirty dining room and rest room areas. Wanted to like it but would never eat there again. Drink maybe. Good crowd and fun watching the game though

Strange. I've eaten there at least a dozen times in the past year (lunch that day) and the food as always been good (I've tried several of their offerings) and never seen the place dirty. I'd certainly give the place another chance.

cyclone618

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 2, 2011
Ankeny
We (wife, ISU daughter and I) didn't make to Benchwarmers until halftime (duties at mass). Stood for most of the second half with a 32 oz Shiner Cheer (or 2) until we were able to get a table from a friend. Awesome Cyclone atmosphere and great pizza (Philly cheese steak, chicken ranch) and beer! Actually stopped there again tonight after a league basketball gam and had more great beer. We forget about this place sometimes but will definitely be back soon.

Clone1138

Apr 18, 2013
Central Iowa
I was there for the entire game and stood around the bar area. The free popcorn was nice. We were right by the vocal UNI fans but they got quiet pretty quick through the second half. Saw a few Hawk fans but they managed to be smart and keep there traps shut.

If I ever win the Powerball, the first thing I would do is A) have Pollard call me concerning a donation to the SEZ project and B) open a dedicated Cyclone bar in DSM to counter Longest Yard and Front Row. Until that happens, Benchwarmers and The Keg Stand will do just fine.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
To show you how big of a "Cyclone bar" that place really is, I'm almost 100 percent sure they got cable installed just for Saturday.

Call me impressed. I assume you meant for Saturday going forward and not "just for Saturday". That would be a bit odd. ;)

Did you hear that....(cough...cough)...Keg Shop?

Last edited:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
We used to have our guys night out at BWW in Ankeny, but switched it to benchwarmers a few months back. Usually leave with less than half the bill and had better food. Those pizzas are awesome and the normal bar fare is great. Plus the beers are 1/3rd the price of BWW. Highly recommended. I love that the high trestle trail is going to go a block away in a few years.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
We (wife, ISU daughter and I) didn't make to Benchwarmers until halftime (duties at mass). Stood for most of the second half with a 32 oz Shiner Cheer (or 2) until we were able to get a table from a friend. Awesome Cyclone atmosphere and great pizza (Philly cheese steak, chicken ranch) and beer! Actually stopped there again tonight after a league basketball gam and had more great beer. We forget about this place sometimes but will definitely be back soon.

Agree, love their pizza, Philly cheese steak sandwich and rings. Other food is good too, but I stick to what I love.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I've eaten there a few times and thought things were pretty good.

I'm all for having a Cyclone bar in town. NOT a Hawkeye bar that will show ISU games when convenient. :realmad: