Lee-Campbell hints toward OC direction, wants to compete

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
Good news.

So who called the plays the last two games?

Judging from DLC's quotes, it really sounds like it was Coach K.

“We talked about all of the offenses that he (Klenakis) has been a part of in his coaching career,” Lee-Campbell said. “When Coach Mess got fired, I called Coach K to see what was up. He told me that they weren’t going to change the offense around. They were basically going to take the last two games. That’s what they will be doing in the future.”

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
“We talked about all of the offenses that he (Klenakis) has been a part of in his coaching career,” Lee-Campbell said. “When Coach Mess got fired, I called Coach K to see what was up. He told me that they weren’t going to change the offense around. They were basically going to take the last two games. That’s what they will be doing in the future.”

That statement worries me a bit because it implies that the coaching staff thinks they fixed something offensively at the end of the season rather than the success being due to playing the worst two teams on our schedule.

Reactions: dinger

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
That statement worries me a bit because it implies that the coaching staff thinks they fixed something offensively at the end of the season rather than the success being due to playing the worst two teams on our schedule.

If this were really the case though, I don't think they would of fired Messingham. They easily could of pointed to the last two games as progress and kept him but they didn't.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
To me it means that the OC of the future will have that same mentality. At least, I hope so anyway....

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
If this were really the case though, I don't think they would of fired Messingham. They easily could of pointed to the last two games as progress and kept him but they didn't.

K was running the offense the last two games, not Mess.

H

HGPuck

Things that seem to be pretty apparent at this point:
- Klenakis was pretty significantly involved with game planning/in-game play calling towards the end of the season.
- He is being seriously considered for the OC position and even if he doesn't get it will likely have quite a bit of input on who is chosen and it would be someone he feels like he can work well with.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
Does anyone know this for a Fact?

I don't know if it was fact, but there was a definite change to playing to Grant's stengths and not the constant zone read. There were still a ton of bone-headed calls that make me think it was still Mess calling the plays, but Coach K may have put together the game plan.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I don't know if it was fact, but there was a definite change to playing to Grant's stengths and not the constant zone read. There were still a ton of bone-headed calls that make me think it was still Mess calling the plays, but Coach K may have put together the game plan.

I think you guys are reaching...and maybe some of you didn't notice CPR blasting Coach K over some of the false starts? I mean, I think he's had his hands too full of ironing out his own unit to worry about drawing up game plans...

Back on topic...I'm really pleased to have this kid, because he's the kind of tremendous athlete that the program needs. Man, does he have some acceleration! I haven't really seen anything of his passing, but clearly Klenakis and Messingham did.

So, if he ends up rushing a lot, we now have Run DLC. :eek:

acody

Nov 25, 2006
Judging from DLC's quotes, it really sounds like it was Coach K.

“We talked about all of the offenses that he (Klenakis) has been a part of in his coaching career,â€￾ Lee-Campbell said. “When Coach Mess got fired, I called Coach K to see what was up. He told me that they weren’t going to change the offense around. They were basically going to take the last two games. That’s what they will be doing in the future.â€￾

What a bunch of BS! Even if true, we played the two worst teams in the conference. A Kansas team that absolutely quit in our game on frozen turf. And who called the plays in the first three quarters of the WV game when we were getting our butts kicked.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I take it that we are looking for a OC that is going to run a similar offensive scheme to what we are doing now