Could the Big 12 be the best basketball conference?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Big 10 was supposed to be good. They are down, and the ACC tied them in the BIG/ACC challenge, but an unranked UNC team took out #1 MSU
We are destroying the SEC in the Big 12/SEC challenge.
PAC is solid this year, but nothing special

The Baylor win over Kentucky was impressive.
Kansas beat Duke.
Okie State is destroying almost everyone, their one loss, they had an impressive win over that same Memphis team earlier.
Texas has been better than expected. Only loss is to BYU who we know how tough they are
Oklahoma's only loss is to #1 MSU
We already have a win over Michigan from the Big 10, if we beat Iowa too, that only solidifies that the Big 12 is better than the Big 10.

Plus there's this:
NCAA College Basketball Conference RPI - CBSSports.com

The top of our league is really proving to be just as good or better than any conference. Top 2 or 3 for sure.

Last edited:

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Our top 4 (maybe 5) yes, but our bottom half of teams are baaaaaaaaaad

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Pretty sure Kentucky lost to MSU. But Kansas did beat Duke.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Pretty sure Kentucky lost to MSU. But Kansas did beat Duke.

You're right, by bad, same tourney, wrong team. Still impressive win. The top of our league has many impressive wins.

Plus, I think Oklahoma, Texas, WVU, KSU are not as bad as they were supposed to be. Tech and TCU still stink, but overall we have to be one of the top 3 conferences, and I think the argument can be made that we are number 1

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The Big 12 is stronger than most thought IMO, and the B1G is weaker than most first thought IMO. Shocking. Seems to almost always be the case.

MSU losing to a non ranked UNC team on their home court didn't help the B1G's image at all. And getting smoked in the ACC challenge didn't help either.

I'm not sure if the Big 12 is better overall than the B1G though? But it's a LOT closer than some would think. Teams like KU, OSU, and Baylor would just destroy a team like Wisky IMO.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
The ACC and Big 10 tied at 6 wins a piece in the challenge and the Big 10 retained the commissioners cup for the fourth straight year.

Are you seriously bragging about beating the SEC in basketball? You should destroy them, they don't even care.

sigh

Apr 11, 2006
Denver
ISU, OSU, KU, BU, OU & UT are all good this year, after that, huge drop-off. I think the ACC will be the top conference (only because the big east additions) with Big12 & BIG a close second in the end.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
The ACC and Big 10 tied at 6 wins a piece in the challenge and the Big 10 retained the commissioners cup for the fourth straight year.

Are you seriously bragging about beating the SEC in basketball? You should destroy them, they don't even care.

My bad, didn't know you tied the ACC. I must have missed the second day of the snoozefest. Wisconsin 48-38 final? Anyway, are you seriously saying Kentucky and Florida don't care about basketball? Big 12 has a chance to beat both of them in this challenge.

Last edited:

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Before the season I would've said the ACC was best but its best teams have underachieved so far.

The Big 12 is top heavy but the top is pretty darn good.

The Big 10 is nowhere near as good as last year. It's pretty top heavy too but it's bottom two teams are nowhere near as bad as our bottom.

The SEC...lol

The PAC 12 is okay but outside 'Zona nobody scares you.

Verdict: still think the ACC is the best

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
My bad, didn't know you tied the ACC. Seems like the top teams lost. Anyway, are you seriously saying Kentucky and Florida don't care about basketball? Big 12 has a chance to beat both of them in this challenge.

That's two schools, out of 14. Those would be quality wins. The SEC had two bids to the NCAA tournament last year. Two. Out of 14 teams. Personally, I think the Big 12 is too good of a conference to even have a challenge with the SEC. The Pac 12 is a much better fit for a basketball challenge. Then it might actually be a challenge.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
That's two schools, out of 14. Those would be quality wins. The SEC had two bids to the NCAA tournament last year. Two. Out of 14 teams. Personally, I think the Big 12 is too good of a conference to even have a challenge with the SEC. The Pac 12 is a much better fit for a basketball challenge. Then it might actually be a challenge.

I don't disagree, I'm just stating that, as a conference, if we beat Kentucky and Florida, that looks impressive for us.

ACC is pretty impressive, but with 15 teams, there is likely to be 5 teams that stink in any given year too. I think some people are bashing our "bottom" too much. Each conference has them.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012

Yeah but our #4 beat their #1 who is a good #1 in kentucky. And even our really bad #10 won. I just dont think we expected to beat them that bad. I think top to bottom adjusting for size it is close between the B12, B10, ACC, p12 this year. I think the B12 may be the best but if so not by a lot. I also think there is a big drop off after those 4 conferences. Though the Big East isnt to far off.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Back when we had that challenge with the PAC 12, it was a nice event.
I don't remember exactly why that wasn't renewed. My guess is that it's related to conference realignment and nearly losing half our conference to theirs.

When they actually set up this challenge with the SEC according to conference rankings instead of this year's ramshackle deal, it might be more meaningful than this year's. Still not the greatest, but our bottom feeders drag things down as much as theirs. Those are some ugly, ugly games.

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
Um, no

Too early to tell how the conferences stack up, but no way, no how is the Big12 the toughest. When you have 12 automatic wins in conference play basically, that is criminally easy.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Back when we had that challenge with the PAC 12, it was a nice event.
I don't remember exactly why that wasn't renewed. My guess is that it's related to conference realignment and nearly losing half our conference to theirs.

When they actually set up this challenge with the SEC according to conference rankings instead of this year's ramshackle deal, it might be more meaningful than this year's. Still not the greatest, but our bottom feeders drag things down as much as theirs. Those are some ugly, ugly games.

When I first read this I thought you called Colorado have of the Big 12 and I laughed. Then I remembered the horribleness of that summer and became sad.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Um, no

Too early to tell how the conferences stack up, but no way, no how is the Big12 the toughest. When you have 12 automatic wins in conference play basically, that is criminally easy.

Wow, I would have never expected this response from a BIG/Iowa homer.:pconfused:

I never said they were the best conference, but if you can't even entertain the idea, your homerism is showing.