Chris Peterson turns down USC, takes Washington job

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Wow I thought he had maybe stayed at Boise a little too long. I always thought he would leave when Kellen Moore graduated.

Sounds like a good move by both parties.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Apparently Washington has a really good, young team and really nice facilities. Glad he's nowhere near us.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Suprised he finally took a job, especially as his "star power" seems lower than it was 2-3 years ago. If I were a top coach, I'd be leery of USC as well.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
It makes me wonder if he wanted the USC job...or if he preferred a setting like UW over a huge metropolitan area? I know Seattle is not Boise...but it isn't LA either. Great hire by UW and doubt anyone will really harbor any resentment because at worse they replaced Sark with an equal...and in many opinions maybe a better coach!

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
The White Unicorn finally lands somewhere.

Makes sense that its now: "down" year and he's taken Boise about as far as he can.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
With the way the conferences have realigned. I think he finally decided it was giong to be to hard to compete so he finally made the move. Washington is a sleeping giant

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
I can't blame him for taking the Washington job over the USC job. A little lower expectations. Should do well there.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Seems like maybe he just likes living in the Northwest and was holding out for a good job in that part of the country. Seeing as Oregon will probably just promote from within until the program falls off, this was probably the ideal job for him to hold out for.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Re: Chris Petersen to Washington

Boise State becomes mediocre in 3..2..1..

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities

Wow...what a hit for Washington. Hasn't Petersen had offers for bigger jobs?

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines

Wow...what a hit for Washington. Hasn't Petersen had offers for bigger jobs?

In previous years definitely.

He had to leave now though, bad timing for a "down" year. Would've been idiotic to stay with Boise officially irrelevant after this year with the end of the BCS and AQ rules.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Makes sense. Boise has become less-and-less relevant as the years have gone by. The Moutain West confrence they joined is nothing like what it is now. He probably sees the writing on the wall and figures it's time to move on.

He better hope UW doesn't have much by way of academic standards. The formula at Boise seemed to be takings kids with huge red flags and/or academic issues.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

Makes sense. Boise has become less-and-less relevant as the years have gone by. The Moutain West confrence they joined is nothing like what it is now. He probably sees the writing on the wall and figures it's time to move on.

He better hope UW doesn't have much by way of academic standards. The formula at Boise seemed to be takings kids with huge red flags and/or academic issues.

It's probably just slightly easier to recruit at Washington than Boise St. As dumb as judging coaching hires the day after they happen, it's hard to imagine a better hire for Washington.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Good move by Peterson. Anything less than contending for the national championship or at the very least the Pac 12 championship gets you fired at USC. At Washington, just regularly finish 8-4 and occasionally win ten or more games, and you can stay as long as you want.