SUnday 12/8 weather thread

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I see weather.com has us up to a 70% chance of snow. What do the weather gurus say for amounts?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Is it that time of year where we get to post weather model maps?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
God I hate Earls stuff...there is a lot more to take into account than what that shows.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

You take that back.
HqCQJ.gif

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Not a huge winter storm by any means. This will be a persistent light snow. But the key with this round is the temperatures we will be at. With surface temps in the teen and a large snow growth zone with this one, this will be light, airy, fluff. And that type of snow accumulates quite well.

Expect a snow to liquid ratio around 18 to 20:1. Meaning, if you melted the snow down you wouldn't get much liquid as those wet, soggy, back breaking snows we are accustomed to (closer to a 10 to 12:1).

I'm putting the range at 3-5" in my area (SE MN and N IA). Maybe just a touch more across central Iowa.

Below is raw model data assuming a 20:1 snow to liquid ratio.

DSMSnow.JPG

Last edited:

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
I'm putting the range at 3-5" in my area (SE MN and N IA). Maybe just a touch more across central Iowa.

Also have a bit of a dry surface layer at first to overcome (and a snow eater east wind at first). Going with essentially a 3.5" uniform blanket for now.

Seems like 3" is a fairly safe bet. Somewhere will likely end up in the 4.5-5" range, but I'm not going to attempt to pin that down yet.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Not a huge winter storm by any means. This will be a persistent light snow. But the key with this round is the temperatures we will be at. With surface temps in the teen and a large snow growth zone with this one, this will be light, airy, fluff. And that type of snow accumulates quite well.

Expect a snow to liquid ratio around 18 to 20:1. Meaning, if you melted the snow down you wouldn't get much liquid as those wet, soggy, back breaking snows we are accustomed to (closer to a 10 to 12:1).

View attachment 23458

Also have a bit of a dry surface layer at first to overcome (and a snow eater east wind at first). Going with essentially a 3.5" uniform blanket for now.

Seems like 3" is a fairly safe bet. Somewhere will likely end up in the 4.5-5" range, but I'm not going to attempt to pin that down yet.

Weather guys trying to politely argue yet engage in brinksmanship...without actually looking like they are doing it...that's what the weather threads are useful for.

Why don't you guys just come out and say "My model is returning results of your head being up your arse."

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Is it just me or does it seem like 3" of snow never made headlines not too many years back? It was like, it is winter. It snows. Nothing to see here folks!

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

View attachment 23458

Here in Eastern Iowa we bring it a little stronger than 3-5 inches. Just saying.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I like John McLaughlin's snow forecast last night. It is going to snow, we just don't know how much yet. At least he was being honest.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Looks like quarter million Dallas Texas homes lost power due to icing storm. Baylor and Okie teams have a game tomorrow.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron