Bubu Appeal Denied by Regents

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Just announced

@AlexHalsted BREAKING: The Iowa Board of Regents has denied the appeal for former ISU guard Bubu Palo. #Cyclones

Leath's decision to remove him from the team stands

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Maybe play for EIU next year as a graduate student like Kane? They need in-state pg help.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Not to rip on the guy when he's down, but from a MBB team standpoint, I think he would have had a hard time fitting into the rotation right now anyway. The way they're playing, who amongst Kane, Thomas, Long, Morris, and even SDW do you look at and say, "yea, I'd play him less minutes in favor of Bubu."

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Seriously, I don't like the way this was handled by Iowa State and I'm surprised that there hasn't been more scrutiny of the process. For instance, I don't think there is any public knowledge of who was on the judicial affairs committee that made the decision against Bubu (or who filed the initial complaint against him).

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Seriously, I don't like the way this was handled by Iowa State and I'm surprised that there hasn't been more scrutiny of the process. For instance, I don't think there is any public knowledge of who was on the judicial affairs committee that made the decision against Bubu (or who filed the initial complaint against him).
completely agree. This whole thing seems like a load of crap. I just don't see how he can be kicked off the team when he wasn't even actually charged with anything. Add that the student thing said he could play it seems like they want to hold him out for some reason.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
completely agree. This whole thing seems like a load of crap. I just don't see how he can be kicked off the team when he wasn't even actually charged with anything. Add that the student thing said he could play it seems like they want to hold him out for some reason.

It seems that he was kicked off the team for things that are done by a significant portion of the student body. How many of us even knew that there was a student code and the possibility of being kicked off a team by a judicial affairs committee? Makes me suspicious that someone was out to get him. Not saying he was innocent or that he didn't victimize others, but this looks like a process that could be manipulated. It seemed like it happened before anyone even knew if was going on. Don't reporters usually jump all over this sort of thing (e.g. interviewing jurors whenever they can)?

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
I hope Bubu Palo goes on to be successful at whatever he does. As far as not being a part of the basketball team, that's that. We have a team that is rolling along and this is no longer a matter of substance.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Not to rip on the guy when he's down, but from a MBB team standpoint, I think he would have had a hard time fitting into the rotation right now anyway. The way they're playing, who amongst Kane, Thomas, Long, Morris, and even SDW do you look at and say, "yea, I'd play him less minutes in favor of Bubu."
....but...but...the new Bubu averaged a triple double in CCL and set records.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
It seems that he was kicked off the team for things that are done by a significant portion of the student body. How many of us even knew that there was a student code and the possibility of being kicked off a team by a judicial affairs committee? Makes me suspicious that someone was out to get him. Not saying he was innocent or that he didn't victimize others, but this looks like a process that could be manipulated. It seemed like it happened before anyone even knew if was going on. Don't reporters usually jump all over this sort of thing (e.g. interviewing jurors whenever they can)?

I hope most students don't do actions of a sexual nature that escalate to police involvement?

As for student code, that is a weak argument. For a general student not on a team, they should generally know their rights and responsibilities. In fact, I believe all students take a "training" prior to starting over the summer about sexual misconduct. As for student athletes, they are told in MANY differently ways what the expectations are of them to be in good standing.

Reactions: Angie

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
There is most likely no way he can be part of this team from a practical standpoint, but I hope he continues to pursue this if for no other reason than to clear his name and shed light on this process...

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I just hate the way this whole thing was handled. ISU f'd this one up badly.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I hope most students don't do actions of a sexual nature that escalate to police involvement?

As for student code, that is a weak argument. For a general student not on a team, they should generally know their rights and responsibilities. In fact, I believe all students take a "training" prior to starting over the summer about sexual misconduct. As for student athletes, they are told in MANY differently ways what the expectations are of them to be in good standing.
Student code is like the terms and conditions. Yes it's there and you say you understand it to get what you want, but you don't really read it. Yes athletes should be held to a higher standard, but it all sounds like some girl who had regrets about something and lied about what really happened. So if he really broke a rule then it was probably something that wasn't as big of a deal.