Poll: Grade the 2013 season

Grade the 2013 ISU football season

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Felt like an F for losing to PurpleHoks but liked their fight the last two games and gave them a D.

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
C- because the team didn't give up, we DID beat Texas and I think the team at the end of the year was much better than the team we started with.

cyklone

Feb 7, 2013
West Des Moines, Iowa
D-We shouldn't have expected an amazing season with this team, but 3 wins still feels like a letdown. It doesn't help that my lasting memories from this season will be getting screwed over by the refs against Texas and the disaster against Baylor. Youth and injuries killed us, but it's hard to say this season was great when its best win came against West Virginia.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
D. We really were a few breaks away from being a 5-7 team. We had a lot of injuries but still had chances to get closer to .500 and a bowl game. But we were 1-9 just a few weeks ago. And most of the losses were absolutely atrocious (UNI, Baylor, OSU, KSU, etc). Players and coaches were suspect. We were solidly at an F until the last two wins. They may have only come at the expenses of KU and WVU, but they meant a ton for our fans and program. It also kept us from finishing last in the conference.

Now we have momentum heading into next season. If we can bring in good OC and RB coaches, then our young experienced talent and newcomers should mature enough into next season to win 6-8 games next year, barring disaster. I will be very disappointed if we can't make a bowl game next year.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I was going to say an F, but then we won 2 more games and didn't look totally pathetic. But it was against really pathetic teams. So I said a D+

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
There was a lot very unodinary circumstances we had to work through this year. Sure everybody has to deal with injuries and youth, but the amount we had of both was much more than most deal with on a year to year basis. Plus combining both of those things can be disastrous.

That being said, a "C" is considered average, and I would say 3 wins is not what we want to be calling average, so I went with a D+.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
A solid D, the WVU win pushed it up from an F, only beating Tulsa and Kansas is still F territory.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I gave it a C+. I know this will be viewed as way to high but hear me out.

1. My goal for the year was 6 wins and a bowl
2. This was high
3. Realistically we should have expected 4 wins
4. Evaluating what we really should have had was probably 2-3 wins
5. We had a abnormal amount of youth and injuries
6. This puts our wins at 1-2

Adding this all up I conclude that while it isn't as good as we should have or did expect. Even though it wasn't as good as we expected I think we overachieved by a small amount of what real potential this team had considering the circumstances. So I would say we had an average or slightly better than average year.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I gave it a C+. I know this will be viewed as way to high but hear me out.

1. My goal for the year was 6 wins and a bowl
2. This was high
3. Realistically we should have expected 4 wins
4. Evaluating what we really should have had was probably 2-3 wins
5. We had a abnormal amount of youth and injuries
6. This puts our wins at 1-2

Adding this all up I conclude that while it isn't as good as we should have or did expect. Even though it wasn't as good as we expected I think we overachieved by a small amount of what real potential this team had considering the circumstances. So I would say we had an average or slightly better than average year.

The poll results could be a little skewed because of the different ways you could look at it. If I also would have graded relative to expectations I would probably agree with you. I thought 4 wins as well but definitely wouldn't have said that if I knew the refs wouldn't count one of the wins, and we would have such a ridiculous amount of key injuries.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I voted B+ or above because I decided to grade like one of my professors in college who graded not on performance but rather on whether he liked you.

(and just for clarification, that is not bitter, because I could pretend to be interested in his drivel, I got "A"s in both classes)

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
C-. It is apparent to me in hindsight that this was a rebuilding year with all the new faces on the offensive line, and on defense. It's easy for fans to look at the QB, WR's and RB's and think that we had a lot of talent coming back, but the line is where the rubber meets the road. With all that said, this C- is close to a D+ because I think (offensive) coaching had something to do with the overall outcome.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
D+. Only because the team never gave up, fought through a lot of injuries, and won the last 2 (even though they were against bad teams). The Texas/TCU/UNI/Texas Tech games we had chances to win but couldn't capitalize so we were closing to the 6 win barrier than it seems. But we have to take advantage of those wins next year.