and pope is gone because...

NewClone09

Jan 7, 2009
Ames, IA
isu lacked a true no. 1 guy, the odd rotation throughout the year, or what?

Our line was decimated, our receivers didn't help much, and the play calling was atrocious usually; we can all agree on, yes?

The stable of RB's we have amassed had to earn him something I would think. By no means am I against Rhoads breathing new life into the unit by going a different direction, I guess I'm just at a bit of a loss..

Also, what could we improve on, other than overall talent (recruiting) and utilization of the RB's?

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Also, what could we improve on, other than overall talent (recruiting) and utilization of the RB's?

What else is there beyond talent and utilization of talent for a position coach?

"What could we improve on, other than everything?"

NewClone09

Jan 7, 2009
Ames, IA
What else is there beyond talent and utilization of talent for a position coach?

Exactly, so what didn't Rhoads like regarding Pope's coaching or think he could gain with a new hire?

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Probably because Rhoads can hire a running back coach who will get the same production but also recruit better. Also so the new OC can bring in at least one guy he wants.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale

Our line was decimated, our receivers didn't help much, and the play calling was atrocious usually; we can all agree on, yes?

The stable of RB's we have amassed had to earn him something I would think. By no means am I against Rhoads breathing new life into the unit by going a different direction, I guess I'm just at a bit of a loss..

Lack of improvement from running backs. It always seemed like someone would break out then get hurt and get thrown in a rotating pile of RB's

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Why he is gone has nothing to do with running backs, and everything to do with recruiting.

Alot of position coaches are there primarily to recruit.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I agree with the lack of development. I don't think we've seen much by way of development from the likes of James White and Nealy. Obviously, Shontrelle's situation is different given his injuries but I can't think of a RB who is better today than they were a few years ago.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

No, for many positions coaches it is about recruiting, not the position itself (OL coach is definitely an exception). But the value of say, RB & WR coaches is primarily derived from recruiting.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I was a little surprised but completely fine with Pope leaving. The inability to get much out of that deep stable of RB's is what sunk him IMO. You can argue whether that was because of a lack of development or utilization. It's also tough to just pass the blame off to the O line and passing game when Wimberly was able to make an immediate impact.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Our RBs fumbled too much the last couple years I think. During Rhoads initial time at ISU under Mac ISU hardly ever fumbled (Alford as RB coach). Also, you cannot ignore the RBs roll in pass protection...

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
RB coach is mainly a recruiter. And he doesn't just recruit RB's. What I think we need with a new RB coach is a good Texas recruiter.

Reactions: NewClone09

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
RB coach is mainly a recruiter. And he doesn't just recruit RB's. What I think we need with a new RB coach is a good Texas recruiter.

Exactly. He is on staff to recruit Texas. We haven't been recruiting Texas very well. 2 + 2 = 4.

NewClone09

Jan 7, 2009
Ames, IA
Probably because Rhoads can hire a running back coach who will get the same production but also recruit better. Also so the new OC can bring in at least one guy he wants.

Hmm, didn't think of the package deal, but that makes total sense. I guess I was under the impression Pope was fairly respected or liked with recruits just based on his coaching track record... I don't know any stats or numbers but some pretty good schools on that list.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Exactly, so what didn't Rhoads like regarding Pope's coaching or think he could gain with a new hire?

It is entirely possible that Rhoads thought that Pope was a decent recruiter and a decent coach and didn't have any faults at all with him.

But that doesn't mean that Rhoads felt that was the best we could do for RB coach. It's possible he just thought that he could find a better recruiter who was equally as good as a coach, or vice versa.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

Coaches don't recruit their position, they recruit regions.

NewClone09

Jan 7, 2009
Ames, IA
Coaches don't recruit their position, they recruit regions.

This is true, I put that the wrong way. I meant to say that I would think development has been decent. White topped out last year, Nealy is improving, Wimberly is the man, SJ always hurt, Woody does what woody does. Not the fact that Pope wasn't the lead recruiter on these guys, or that they weren't from Texas, just that the recruits seemed to want to play in that unit, for that guy.