The next Mayor?

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Matt Thomas has been solid, but I was little taken back when the announcers last night began comparing him to Fred. I know they were mainly commenting on his build, but when they went on by saying his shot was so good 'you expect every one to go in.'

Very early, but could Matt take his game high enough to be the next Mayor of Ames?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Matt Thomas has been solid, but I was little taken back when the announcers last night began comparing him to Fred. I know they were mainly commenting on his build, but when they went on by saying his shot was so good 'you expect every one to go in.'

Very early, but could Matt take his game high enough to be the next Mayor of Ames?

I agree that Matt is impressive. You almost forget he's a freshman at times. I put him in the category with Scotty and Tyrus when it comes to "expecting it to go in." That's pretty lofty company, because those two were pretty impressive shooters. And while Matt isn't on their level yet, it's not a matter of if he gets there, just a matter of when.

Not to change the subject, but Monte is also damn impressive. I love how quick his hands are. He's already good, but he's going to be very, very good before he's done here.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I don't think there will ever be another player from Ames who had the respect and fan support Fred did. There will certainly be players with similar games and players from Ames but there will only be one Mayor.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Matt is very, very good and had a similar game to Fred (haven't seen him dunk over a seven footer yet though), but Fred was a special player and you could tell it right away.

ohhh... forgot about that.... is there a YouTube clip somewhere?

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Let's let Matt be Matt for now. He is six games into his college career.

I get tired of folks pinning such big expectations on kids so early. Yes, some of it is the "what if" factor recruits/players give us and get us excited about, but then we get bummed out.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I agree that Matt is impressive. You almost forget he's a freshman at times. I put him in the category with Scotty and Tyrus when it comes to "expecting it to go in." That's pretty lofty company, because those two were pretty impressive shooters. And while Matt isn't on their level yet, it's not a matter of if he gets there, just a matter of when.
I'm close to putting Naz in this echelon as well. That guy doesn't need much space and he's firing with confidence right now. 56% from 3 is ridiculous.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
As others have said, you can't really replicate "The Mayor" considering Fred grew up in the shadow of Hilton. He was a ball boy for basketball and football games, etc. He's a hometown hero, and he ended up playing a decade in the NBA, so it's not really a fair comparison for Matt.

With all that said, I see Matt being one hell of a player for us. If he's a 4 years starter at the 2, in Fred's system, he will end up putting up HUGE scoring numbers. His confidence grows game by game, that much we can all see. I think by February, he'll start dropping a few 20+ point games from time to time, but always give you 10-12.

By next year, I see him breaking out. By the time he leaves, I see him being a really good 18 ppg type guy who thrives in Fred's system.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
There was a player in Ames a few years ago who had a chance to be the next Mayor . . .

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I'm close to putting Naz in this echelon as well. That guy doesn't need much space and he's firing with confidence right now. 56% from 3 is ridiculous.

Naz and Matt have the best form on their shots which have a high arc and backspin. SDW has similar form, though not as consistent at this point. Monte's shot is a bit flatter.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
There are some similarities but their style of play as freshmen are pretty different. A lot of people forget that Fred was just a 26% 3 point shooter in his first year (13/50).