Offensive Talent in 2014

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
I'd like to start by saying that this is a discussion about talent, I'm not drawing any conclusions about how well the offense will perform next season.

QB: Rohach - Richardson
RB: Wimberly - Nealy - Standard
WR: Bundrage - Ecby- Lazard - Montgomery - West
TE: Bibbs - Richardson
OL: (no particular order) Farniok - Campos - Big Dawg Williams - Gannon - Lalk - Omoile - Burton - Dagel

This is a list of notable players for the Cyclone offense next season. There's a good mix of guys who have some experience with positive results and hyped guys with good measurables. There's comfortable depth at every position except tight end. Just looking at the roster, there's no part that I look at as a glaring weakness. If I'm mildly nervous about any position it would be the offensive line, but lots of guys got playing time this season and I trust Klenakis to improve the unit in his second year.

The bottom line is, a prospective offensive coordinator could see the roster as a selling point for joining the team.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Yea, and you can add Daley to the WR mix. Solid returning experience at all positions. No need for JUCO influx. My biggest concern is still QB improvement. After all, it was KU and WVU, not OU and OSU.

On D, would love to see JUCO recruits at rush end, LB and safety. If we can fill those holes, I am thinking 7-5 might be possible.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
CPR announced several weeks ago that TE Pierce Richardson's career is over due to injuries.

I think that Ben Boesen, Quan West and Alex Leslie will do a nice job as Scott Schaffner redshirts, however.

Bob Graham (back surgery) might have the same problem as Richardson. And peoplewonder why we have so few upperclassman OL....

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Yea, and you can add Daley to the WR mix. Solid returning experience at all positions. No need for JUCO influx. My biggest concern is still QB improvement. After all, it was KU and WVU, not OU and OSU.

On D, would love to see JUCO recruits at rush end, LB and safety. If we can fill those holes, I am thinking 7-5 might be possible.
I suspect that Damien Lawry may well be a surprise in the slot behind Jarvis West, as well.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
We certainly don't have blue chip talent across the board on offense, but it will certainly be Paul Rhoads's most talented and deepest groups at the skill positions.

It wouldn't surprise me a ton if Tommy Mister doesn't redshirt. In saying that I think the only way he shouldn't redshirt is if he comes in and outplays all the other running backs.

I'd also like to see Rob Standard in the rotation. I really believe he can be an effective back for us.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I really hope Quan West can put on some weight because I like the idea of him playing tight end with his frame and speed.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
We certainly don't have blue chip talent across the board on offense, but it will certainly be Paul Rhoads's most talented and deepest groups at the skill positions.

It wouldn't surprise me a ton if Tommy Mister doesn't redshirt. In saying that I think the only way he shouldn't redshirt is if he comes in and outplays all the other running backs.

I'd also like to see Rob Standard in the rotation. I really believe he can be an effective back for us.

Would love to see him put on 15 lbs of muscle and take over Woody's role as short yardage back, lead FB.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
Farniok is great, and Q Bun is a stud - both should be some kind of all-Big 12 next year. Wimberley and Bibbs look like legit Big 12 players that could be very good. The QBs have shown promise, but have also looked terrible - but they are both young and could improve and become at least average Big 12 QBs. The OL needs to be healthy to really evaluate, but given health and development they could be top half of Big 12 good I think. The new WRs have all the potential in the world (on paper), but need to live up to it and develop fast. All of this adds up to what could be a potentially improved offense next year....but how many times have we said that? If nothing else, I think it is a group that could be sold to a new OC as having enough potential to get some things done.

The defense, on the other hand, is going to need some help behind what looks to be an improved DL.....

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Add OG Ryan Glenn to the mix. I might be biased because he's a friend of mine, but he made travel squad this year as a true freshman, and could possibly see some playing time next season. They want him to be 310 lbs by next fall, and he's roughly 280 now.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I'd like to start by saying that this is a discussion about talent, I'm not drawing any conclusions about how well the offense will perform next season.

QB: Rohach - Richardson
RB: Wimberly - Nealy - Standard
WR: Bundrage - Ecby- Lazard - Montgomery - West
TE: Bibbs - Richardson
OL: (no particular order) Farniok - Campos - Big Dawg Williams - Gannon - Lalk - Omoile - Burton - Dagel

This is a list of notable players for the Cyclone offense next season. There's a good mix of guys who have some experience with positive results and hyped guys with good measurables. There's comfortable depth at every position except tight end. Just looking at the roster, there's no part that I look at as a glaring weakness. If I'm mildly nervous about any position it would be the offensive line, but lots of guys got playing time this season and I trust Klenakis to improve the unit in his second year.

The bottom line is, a prospective offensive coordinator could see the roster as a selling point for joining the team.

What's the starting OL look like for next year?

OT: Gannon, Brock
OG: Lalk, Omoile
C: TF

Isn't this the same as the last game? When was the last time we were able to return entire OL?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
What's the starting OL look like for next year?

OT: Gannon, Brock
OG: Lalk, Omoile
C: TF

Isn't this the same as the last game? When was the last time we were able to return entire OL?
Probably Daniel Burton at guard with Lalk, so we won't be returning the whole OL.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
I'd bet we see Rob Standard in the Woody role next year, big back and looks to be a short yardage bruiser to me.. That's kind of what I pegged him at at least.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'd bet we see Rob Standard in the Woody role next year, big back and looks to be a short yardage bruiser to me.. That's kind of what I pegged him at at least.

I don't know if he's big enough to be a "bruiser"--but definitely a slasher.

I'll also expect either Mister or Syria to help fill that "big back" role.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Would love to see him put on 15 lbs of muscle and take over Woody's role as short yardage back, lead FB.

Would be fine to see him do that, but he can do a lot more than that, IMO. Woody was very underutilized this year as well as most of his time on campus and I hope to see Standard more so in the actual rotation, rather than a guy who comes in on 3rd and short and never gets more than 5 carries in a game.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
In fairness to our QB's and the rest of our offense a lot of the problems was just not putting us in a position to take shots down field and stretch the defense. When you look at the times we did go down field we generally scored some points. Mess was just too consumed with running the awful zone read and bubble screens despite the fact that the defense was packing the box. The constant 3 and outs had to have a devastating mental effect on our offense. It is a testimony to their character and resolve that they won the last two games.

Mess never hesitated to blame the players for the shortcomings of the offense so I really have no problem throwing him under the bus and driving over him several times.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
Then lets hope we can get an OC that can put us in 3rd and short situation more often than 3rd and long like it seemed we were this year..

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Standard is already built like a bull and I can see him in Woody's role plus other plays that Woody really wasn't suited for.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I think Standard is around 230lbs so he could fit Woody's role faily well. Should be faster too.
I would also add Curtis on the OL as potential names along with Meeks and Madison.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Probably Daniel Burton at guard with Lalk, so we won't be returning the whole OL.

OL will be very interesting in the spring.

Farniok is a lock, of course.

Then we have Gannon, Dagel, Lalk, Dunning, Omoile and Burton all returning with lots of experience. Williams, Campos, Curtis, Glenn and Severs all have been touted at one point or another.

Help Support Us

Become a patron