Opening round NCAA sites for volleyball

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Are the sites not announced until the brackets are released on Sunday?

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
MU just finished 34-0. I have a feeling we could end up in Columbia. Now that they are good, their front-running fans are showing up. They had 7400 at their last match. Expect more than that for the tournament.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
It's hard to guess what the committee will do, mostly because I think they don't have a clue themselves.

Columbia or Lexington seem the most likely.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Thanks for the info. I did notice that ISU is hosting a VB regional in 2014 according to the NCAA website.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
I don't know if anybody watched us at KSU, but we played terrible. We got beat by a 5-10 team. I wouldn't worry that much about us in the tourney. We're going to be fodder for somebody. I hope I'm wrong, but we can't do anything right now. This is not the characteristic CJL team, she's lost them. Maybe they'll find some spark, but they're flat. It's embarrassing, really.

How did we cover for Nolan receiving all year? Every team knows to target her. She's been horrible these last 3 matches. Capezio has hit the wall, I think. I say that, and we'll find out they're all sick or something. Who knows?

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I don't know if anybody watched us at KSU, but we played terrible. We got beat by a 5-10 team. I wouldn't worry that much about us in the tourney. We're going to be fodder for somebody. I hope I'm wrong, but we can't do anything right now. This is not the characteristic CJL team, she's lost them. Maybe they'll find some spark, but they're flat. It's embarrassing, really.
Have to agree. What is going on? The entire year has been a mystery.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
I'm going to reserve my "big comment" on this year's team until after the year is over. I just hope they can compete and accomplish the goals they can in the post season. We'll see. Thank you for the photo's from the UT match Wesley, they're awesome. The thing I saw, was how much higher the hands of the UT players were than ours. That's a big determinate in winning in volleyball, I think. Until we breach that talent gap in this conference, we're always playing for 2nd. We didn't finish 2nd, though. That's an issue, because we should have, in my opinion.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
I just don't get it. They played their best volleyball when they swept OU at home and then the wheels just fell off.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Maybe expectations were too high this year, especially after Malloy left; by the way, did she know something we did not? I am not done with Capezio; I think she is a talent, but her play seemed to decline when she played the full cycle - maybe just a coincidence.

I've ranted enought about Nolan; don't see why she got the time she did - she has NO mobility - and other teams love to go right at her.

Plus, it is hard to do well with a new setter; jury is still out on Hudson. We did not pass well at all, but neither were we very imaginative in our sets. But this is her first year starting.

Plus Hurtt frustrates the heck out of me. She has a rocket of an arm, but tips and taps so often. When she does that, she is jus setting up the other team to drive it riught back at us.

Finally, something was out of sync with the team, because Kristen was off - that is not like her at all. To me, that speaks volumes and means it is a team thing going on and not just individual play.

BUT, and this is a big BUT, our recruiting has been excellent, Knuth and Kuhrt improved hugely and we have some great additions next year. Like most of you, I am disappointed with what happened, but I still have confidence in CJL and I can see a great future ahead. Too bad this year has been a bit disappointing.

And another BUT, they can still do a lot damage at the t'ment if.....

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
it was mentioned on the blog a couple games ago that Capezio had a foot injury....not sure how long she's had that.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
playing in the Lexington Regional, against Colorado first, Minny if we beat them. Minny's pretty darn good though, so hopefully we get one win!

Last edited:
H

HGPuck

That's about as good of a draw as we could have hoped for. Colorado just got in, there are harder seeded teams than Minnesota to have to potentially play, and the site is relatively close.

H

HGPuck

First match against Colorado is at 4:30 on the 6th. If we win we will play at 7:00 on the 7th.