Chinese Air Pollution

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
It looks like Beijing Officials have solved the air pollution problem.

Beijing Destroys Barbecue Grills To Cut Air Pollution, Sparking Criticism Among Citizens

Severe-smog-and-air-pollu-010.jpg

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Having been there I can tell you, you can smell the air, you can feel the air, you can taste the air. The flavor is definitely not barbeque.

aute19

Sep 30, 2011
One of the most interesting things to me is the difference of opinion between Chinese nationals who grew up in China and Americans who have visited China. I have heard on more than one occasion from international students that, and I paraphrase, "the pollution isn't bad at all. This is just American media propaganda."

Seemingly contradicted by the post above, and who visit and say, that the air tastes metallic and that you wouldn't believe the stuff you blow out of your nose after a day in public.

I don't know, I've never visited, but people seem adamant in pointing this out or defending it.

Last edited:

diplomaCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 7, 2012
Brazil
Having been there I can tell you, you can smell the air, you can feel the air, you can taste the air. The flavor is definitely not barbeque.

I can vouch for this. There are days you can't see the buildings across the street from you. When it rains, any exposed skin can actually start to tingle.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
One of the most interesting things to me is the difference of opinion between Chinese nationals who grew up in China and Americans who have visited China. I have heard on more than one occasion from international students that, and I paraphrase, "the pollution isn't bad at all. This is just American media propaganda."

Seemingly contradicted by the post above, and who visit and say, that the air tastes metallic and that you wouldn't believe the stuff you blow out of your nose after a day in public.

I don't know, I've never visited, but people seem adamant in pointing this out or defending it.

Opinions aside... air pollution levels are measurable. And these measurements show cities in China have very bad air pollution. That isn't propaganda, its science!

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006

It depends where you are. The whole nation isn't like the pictures above. Beijing/Tianjin area is as bad as advertised. Could barely see across the street and the people I was with said it was actually pretty good compared to normal.

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
having the sun be blood red until almost noon was rather disturbing while in Beijing, that and the fact you could look directly into the sun at any time of day

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Also note that most Chinese nationals think Tiananmen square was made up by the US government. When the Chinese government tells them the air isn't that bad they don't question it.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Also note that most Chinese nationals think Tiananmen square was made up by the US government. When the Chinese government tells them the air isn't that bad they don't question it.

And most have not traveled elsewhere, so they have no frame of reference.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
It's a good thing we're sending our mfg over there to eliminate gases that cause GLOBAL WARMING. Also, as solid as China clearly is on environmental issues I can TOTALLY understand why you'd want them drilling off the coast of Fl and NOT US oil companies.:v_SPIN:

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
We're losing the point of this in the discussion of China's air pollution problem...as a guy who got up at 4 this morning to put the turkey on the smoker for my family's (belated) thanksgiving feast, may I remind you that THEY TOOK AWAY BARBECUE GRILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, maybe some of you don't take this seriously, but I do. Sure, this is 'merica, but one can never be too flippant when the possibility of losing the right to grill is present. Like Charleton Heston with his guns, you will get my grill when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Henceforth, I propose the following as the 28th amendment (based on the 2nd):

A well fed populace being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to smoke and grill meats and other tasty foods shall not be infringed.

Skip JP, e-mail your representatives now!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Then the country does not have potable water. Everyone uses bottled water. Showers are short. Third world still.

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
I am headed there next month. I've been told how bad it is will be something to see it. One of the main reasons American companies setup in China is they don't have to abide by emissions, one of the most expensive cost of an America.