Rose Update: Torn Meniscus

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Derrick Rose of Chicago Bulls out indefinitely, needs surgery on torn medial meniscus in knee - ESPN Chicago

People seemed upset with someone bumping the ACL/MCL thread, so here you go. I'm seeing speculation that he is out for the season now.

Derrick Rose surgery - chicagotribune.com

Personally, I think it's karma for watching his team who had plenty of injuries of their own battle the Heat in the playoffs last year. You'd think he could have shed the suit and gotten into uniform, but nope. He didn't. Now who knows if he'll ever get the chance again?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Sucks for him, but maybe that's why he didn't want to come back earlier...avoid something like this.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
He got his $100MM contract, why does he care now? He can sit pool side and light his cigars with $100 bills.

[video=youtube;Jbfwqjg_mpU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbfwqjg_mpU[/video]

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Sucks for him, but maybe that's why he didn't want to come back earlier...avoid something like this.

Yeah, that was my thought as well. I'd say this validates staying out rather than showing he shouldn't have.

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
You'd think with being so rich they wouldn't care about playing or not anymore but those guys don't care about the money once they get it. Look at all the athletes that just refused to hang it up and stop playing.
Derrick plays with very extremely fast explosive moves which obviously his ligaments can't handle. I would compare this somewhat to a great fastball pitcher who tears his rotator cuff or has Tommy John, when and if they come back they have to start learning to use more off speed stuff to reduce or eliminate injury if they are going to last. When DR comers back he's going to have to make some changes to his game. Allot different in basketball then baseball when your speed and explosiveness is required to play.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Derrick Rose of Chicago Bulls out indefinitely, needs surgery on torn medial meniscus in knee - ESPN Chicago

People seemed upset with someone bumping the ACL/MCL thread, so here you go. I'm seeing speculation that he is out for the season now.

Derrick Rose surgery - chicagotribune.com

Personally, I think it's karma for watching his team who had plenty of injuries of their own battle the Heat in the playoffs last year. You'd think he could have shed the suit and gotten into uniform, but nope. He didn't. Now who knows if he'll ever get the chance again?
So you think if he plays in the playoffs last year he doesn't hurt his knee this year?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
So you think if he plays in the playoffs last year he doesn't hurt his knee this year?

seems-legit-7.jpg

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011

It wasn't even the same knee. This injury could have happened any time. Now he's Danny Manning. I don't think he's going to be leading any team to the playoffs ever again. He might get back, but it won't be because of him being the biggest contributor.

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012

Yea that's pretty ridiculous with that type of injury. A guy with that much explosiveness to his game, giving his ACL more time to heal last year was smart on his part. The other players on the Bulls that had injuries did hang in. I think Joakim if anyone could of sat with the foot injury, very painful but he did play through. When you look at Meniscus and ACL tears and complete separation it's tissue attached to bone that is healing. I just don't think DL has the best rubberbands in his knees that can withstand the pressure of the explosiveness he puts on them. I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire. If and when he comes back his mental attitude this time will really have him adjust his game which will lead to more injury.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
It wasn't even the same knee. This injury could have happened any time. Now he's Danny Manning. I don't think he's going to be leading any team to the playoffs ever again. He might get back, but it won't be because of him being the biggest contributor.
You seem very upset in every Derrick Rose thread that he didn't play in the playoffs last season. Did you have money on the Bulls?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I never got why Bulls fans were upset that he didn't come back for the playoffs last year, with or without him they weren't getting by Miami. It made no sense to rush him back out there.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
You seem very upset in every Derrick Rose thread that he didn't play in the playoffs last season. Did you have money on the Bulls?

Nope, not even a Bulls fan. (Although I do think the world of Joakhim Noah as a player.) It ****** me off to see him walk to the end of the bench in an expensive suit before every game last year while his injured teammates took their knives to the NBA playoffs gunfight.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Nope, not even a Bulls fan. (Although I do think the world of Joakhim Noah as a player.) It ****** me off to see him walk to the end of the bench in an expensive suit before every game last year while his injured teammates took their knives to the NBA playoffs gunfight.

I'm sure Rose enjoyed it too.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I'm sure Rose enjoyed it too.

Maybe Derrick shouldn't have starred in the Adidas "Comeback" commercial. Maybe Derrick's brother shouldn't have spouted off about the roster. Maybe the doctors shouldn't have cleared Rose to play as early as March 8th.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I think this will be more along the lines of the second coming of Penny Hardaway. Hot shot pt guard injures knee a couple times, then he's done.

+ they both came out of Memphis....interesting.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Since Deng is a FA at the end of the year, why not trade him to a team for a draft pick and try to dump Boozer's salary. Keep Noah, but get rid of anyone with contracts and try to find a way to get into the lottery. There are going to be 5 or 6 good players this year and then you can build around. Then maybe package the 2 first rounders they already have and move up?

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
First off, I'm sure Rose would rather play than not, but was a Rose that hadn't played basketball in a year on a rebuilt knee the missing piece of the Bull's title run?

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
First off, I'm sure Rose would rather play than not, but was a Rose that hadn't played basketball in a year on a rebuilt knee the missing piece of the Bull's title run?

We'll never know. Especially now that he's Danny Manning.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
We'll never know. Especially now that he's Danny Manning.

So much anger from someone who's not even a fan if the team. I will get to the bottom of this. Are you friends with his orthopedic surgeon and you think Rose not playing makes him look bad?