Christmas Gifts

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Does anyone else find it nearly impossible to give ideas to their S/O for Christmas? Maybe it's because I'm getting old but I really struggle with coming up with ideas. The stuff I want is either too expensive to buy for Christmas and if it's not then I just buy it for myself during the year. Anyone else have this problem.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Give them the gift of not having to give you a gift. I know, the first year, it's pretty strange, but after that, piece of cake. No disappointment, and you get exactly what you asked for: nada.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
husband and I are kinda the same way. We actually did a few years of no gifts (said it was to save for the wedding/college broke-ness but let's be honest, it was pretty low stress)

He has surprised me a couple times (one time when my return gift was socks, I felt like a real winner that year!) but probably not this year. I think my main idea is that I want a new flat iron or boots.....which he wouldn't pick out. And he just wants more socks and a Blackhawk sweater.

Something else we've done that might be easier is going to events rather than getting things. Like we went to a nice steakhouse that my husband wanted to try for his birthday, and we went to a musical for mine. We don't tend to go out and do much of that type of stuff normally, so it's a pretty nice gift!

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
My wife is tough because she doesn't like spending money and never seems to want anything . Add to that the fact that she watches our accounts like a hawk and it is really hard to keep her from finding out what I spent and where.

I'm the "hawk" on the accounts in our relationship. We've taken to getting some cash out to make sure this isn't an issue and to stick to budget.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Does anyone else find it nearly impossible to give ideas to their S/O for Christmas? Maybe it's because I'm getting old but I really struggle with coming up with ideas. The stuff I want is either too expensive to buy for Christmas and if it's not then I just buy it for myself during the year. Anyone else have this problem.
How about a gift card to Beer Crazy?

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011
My wife is tough because she doesn't like spending money and never seems to want anything . Add to that the fact that she watches our accounts like a hawk and it is really hard to keep her from finding out what I spent and where.

Similar situation and here is what you can consider doing:
-Use cash. No electronic trail.
-Use a giftcard to the place the gift is from (Amazon, Target, etc). No electronic trail to specific item.
-If the the giftcard gives a strong clue about the gift (like Victoria Secret), then I get one of those Visa moneycards that's accepted almost anywhere. Unfortunately, there is a transaction fee on those so you don't get the full value of the card ($96 of purchases from a $100 moneycard) but sometimes the surprise factor is worth it.
-If I'm getting a gift that a giftcard or cash doesn't work well for (think jewelry), then I've had it where my bro or my parents will pay for it and I'll pay them back after I give the misses the gift.

MartyMcCy

Sep 6, 2011
A one year subscription to the jelly of the month club?
Why you cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-***, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey ****!

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
We decided that last few years to only get small gifts and nothing over $50 at the most. We would rather spend it on our son. Plus, same a few dollars for a newer vehicle this summer and maybe kid #2.