How do you prepare your turkey?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cloneluke80

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
So I am doing the turkey this year. Which I like to do, but I have done the whole throw it in the oven thing... it was just meh...

I will still cook in oven
I am going to brine it the night before

Should I stuff it?
Any other tips?

I'm not a big turkey fryer guy or grill guy, you guys can talk about it but I want more of the oven advice...

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Last year was my first year frying (& also first year of me doing the turkey rather than my mom or some other female relative). Everyone loved it. Definitely will be frying them each year now. I used cajun dry rub last year & will probably do the same again. I'm adding some injected marinade this time.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
So I am doing the turkey this year. Which I like to do, but I have done the whole throw it in the oven thing... it was just meh...

Should I stuff it?
Any other tips?

I'm not a big turkey fryer guy or grill guy, you guys can talk about it but I want more of the oven advice...

I'm still a novice (roughly five years as turkey-maker) and I typically go by the book, too, but a couple of things that have worked for me:

*If you aren't cooking the stuffing inside the bird, put some chopped onion & garlic in the cavity.
*Put turkey in oven, then mix a bloody mary.

letsCYber

Jun 11, 2010
U.S. of A.

Should I stuff it?
Any other tips?

Here's all you need to know.

[video=youtube;HcpjP8vHLKY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcpjP8vHLKY[/video]

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The first thing I do is my wife tells me what kind of turkey she bought. Then around 9:00 or so on Thanksgiving I wake up and my wife tells me that the turkey is in the oven. Then when she tells me to I take the turkey out of the oven. Then we eat the turkey. Anything that happens inbetween those steps is anyone's best guess.

letsCYber

Jun 11, 2010
U.S. of A.
The first thing I do is my wife tells me what kind of turkey she bought. Then around 9:00 or so on Thanksgiving I wake up and my wife tells me that the turkey is in the oven. Then when she tells me to I take the turkey out of the oven. Then we eat the turkey. Anything that happens inbetween those steps is anyone's best guess.

I'm glad you've effectively established roles.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
You gotta smoke that bird!

this.

Inject it with creole butter, liberally apply a spice rub, smoke it for12 hours with hickory chips.

Apr 19, 2006
Seems like we never have enough for leftovers so this year I decided to try out Famous Daves. They will do a cherry wood smoked turkey for like $40 (12-14 lbs). So I'll be picking that one up and then the ladies will do one with just the breasts because they don't like the dark meat. Darn racists! :wideeyed:

ken

Dec 28, 2008
Stuff and put in a cooking bag. Cooking bags are one of the best things that ever happen to preparing Turkey.
This. It's the most fool proof way to make a perfect bird. Put a little flour in the bag along with some onion and celery. Butter the bird, and stuff it. Place in bag and cook until popup timer pops. Use the juice for some killer gravy.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
After the turkey is cleaned up I put a bit of oil and butter on it. I then put on just a bit of garlic, some black pepper, oregano and parsley. Next I put the turkey inside a bag and pour beer in the bag, probably about a half a can and drink the rest. About every 30 minutes I check to make sure it is cooking well and add a bit more beer. All told I probably end up with 1.5 beers poured over and around the turkey and it is ALWAYS juicy and falls right off the bone.

I usually do this every year for our friends when we gather. We all agree it is the best turkey ever and generally cannot eat the turkey at our family gatherings.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Sounds like she is a keeper.