***Old Dominion Preview/Predictions/Results***

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
The #9 Cyclones are out in Norfolk, Virginia this weekend to take on Old Dominion, who are coming off an upset victory of #8 Wisconsin last weekend. Old Dominion has beaten us the last two years and matches up pretty well against us. This will probably come down to which team's ranked wrestlers can get more bonus points. Even though we are a much better tournament team than Old Dominion the individual matchups make this a one of our tougher meets. I'm being homerish in my predictions. My gut says we lose this one by 4-7 points.

To follow:
When: Sunday, November 24th @ 12PM Central
Live TV: ODU Stream $$
Live Blog: Will post once available
Twitter: @CyclonesWR

My projected lineups:
-ISU WrestlerRecordRanking
ODU WrestlerRecordRanking
125Earl Hall FR6-1NR/NR/NRvsJerome Robinson JR0-014/NR/16
orKyle Larson FR12-4NR/21/NRor
Brandon Jeske True FR15-3NR/NR/NR
133R.J. Hallman6-5NR/NR/NRvsScott Festejo SR1-1NR/NR/NR

orMicheal Hayes FR4-3NR/NR/NR
141Gabe Moreno FR5-3NR/NR/NRvsChris Mecate SO7-213/9/10
149Luke Goettl JR4-2NR/25/NRvsAlexander Richardson SO6-216/NR/24
157John Nicholson SR6-0NR/NR/NRvsTristan Warner JR5-217/NR/22
orLogan Molina SO6-2NR/NR/NR

165Mike Moreno JR8-03/3/3vsDillon Geoghegan SO1-4NR/NR/NR
174Tanner Weatherman SO6-210/10/10vsBilly Curling SR2-1NR/NR/NR
184Lelund Weatherspoon FR9-1NR/NR/NRvsJack Dechow FR5-2NR/20/22
197Kyven Gadson JR6-13/3/3vsKevin Beazley FR5-2NR/NR/NR

orJacob Henderson JR4-1NR/NR/NR
HWTQuean Smith FR2-4NR/NR/NRvsMatt Tourdot JR5-2NR/NR/NR
orJoe Scanlon FR5-4NR/NR/NR

orA Lucky Fan0-0The winner is you

*Rankings are Intermat/D1Wrestling/AWN

Weight by Weight thoughts:
125: Robinson hasn't wrestled yet this year so I'm not sure if he'll take the mat. His replacement, Brandon Jeske was a blue chip recruit last year. He's showed why so far by going 15-3 with all three losses coming against ranked wrestlers. Whether it is Robinson or Jeske who takes the mat they will be favored. At the end of the season I think Hall might be able to win this, but he is still adjusting to Folkstyle and I don't see him beating ranked guys yet (and Jeske is like Weatherspoon, only not ranked because he's filling in for a ranked guy).
Iowa State 0 - 3 Old Dominion

133: Scott Festejo spent most of last year hovering in the high teens in the rankings and beat Meeks pretty handily last year. Hopefully Hallman keeps it to a decision.
Iowa State 0 - 6 Old Dominion

141: Mecate is the best wrestler on Old Dominion's team, Gabe or Shaydon need to make sure this stays to a major.
Iowa State 0 - 10 Old Dominion

149: I haven't been impressed with Goettl so far this season. Richardson is a returning NCAA qualifier and has had some decent wins already this season. This would be a great statement win for Goettl but he hasn't shown me anything to make me think he'll pick up a win here.
Iowa State 0 - 13 Old Dominion

157: Nicholson spent four years at ODU and I think he's going to be hyped up for a homecoming match. Warner is a solid wrestler but I have liked what I've seen from Nicholson so far and I think he gets the win to put ISU on the board.
Iowa State 3 - 13 Old Dominion

165: This is a big match, not because I'm worried about Moreno getting the win, but because we need him to come through with a tech fall or pin against an overmatched ODU wrestler.
Iowa State 8 - 13 Old Dominion

174: Curling beat Mikey England last season and is a returning NCAA qualifier. Tanner can't have a lapse like he did against Grandview. Tanner will be favored and should pick up a decision.
Iowa State 11 - 13 Old Dominion

184: Last season Dechow beat Beard 8-3 and he's already picked up some nice wins this season. Weatherspoon will have his hands full in what is realistically a toss up match or Dechow being the favorite. But we have to get a win here to win the meet. So I'll cross my fingers and hope for a win.
Iowa State 14 - 13 Old Dominion

197: Henderson was able to keep it close against Kyven last year but Kyven needs to score some serious points for us to put the match out of reach, especially if we don't get the win at 184. Kyven has been pretty tentative so far this year so I'd like to see this be a breakout match for him. I look for Kyven to get a major or better.
Iowa State 18 - 13 Old Dominion

HWT: Commence operation "Don't get pinned".
Iowa State 18 - 17 Old Dominion .

Final score prediction: Iowa State 18 - 17 Old Dominion

But I'm being a homer for that. If we drop 184 and get pinned at HWT that quickly becomes a 15-22 loss. However, if Hall or Goettl can get the wins they are capable of in the lower weights then we'll be able to breathe more easily after the intermission.

Key matches
125: Hall has beaten elite wrestlers in Freestyle many times. Can he beat a quality opponent in Folkstyle this early after coming back?
149: Has Goettl settled in to 149 and is he ready to start making progress?
157: How will Nicholson do against an old teammate?
184: Can Lelund defeat a ranked wrestler while bumping up a weight class?

Iowa State will win if: We win one of the first five matches and Weatherspoon gets the win at 184

Old Dominion will win if: They get bonus points out of their ranked guys and Lelund isn't able to knock off their 184 pounder

Last year's results:
125 pounds - No. 17 Jerome Robinson dec. No. 15 Ryak Finch, 5-4
133 pounds - No. 19 Scott Festejo dec. John Meeks, 7-3
141 pounds - No. 16 Justin LaValle dec. No. 18 Luke Goettl, 5-3
149 pounds - Alex Richardson WBF (1:15) Matt White
157 pounds - No. 19 John Nicholson major dec. Logan Molina, 12-3
165 pounds - Michael Moreno dec. Adrin Taylor, 7-2
174 pounds - Billy Curling dec. No. 17 Mikey England, 7-3
184 pounds - No. 15 Boaz Beard major dec. Austin Coburn, 10-2
197 pounds - No. 15 Kyven Gadson dec. Jacob Henderson, 4-2
285 pounds - No. 17 Matt Gibson dec. Matt Tourdot, 4-3

Last edited:

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Solid write up. Agree on your key matches. I have been seriously disappointed at 49. I really want to see inspired wrestling out of 74 too. That's a key match for me. Really hoping to see a dominant, bonus laden match at 65.

Last edited:

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I would think that Weatherman is feeling a bit of heat from Weatherspoon. Thats a good thing. I don't have much faith in Goettl any longer. I think the (long ago) win against Maple gave us false hope. What's up with Bauer??

Solid write up. Agree on your key matches. I have been seriously disappointed at 49. I really want to see inspired wrestling out of 74 too. That's a key match for me. Really hoping to see a dominant, bonus laden match at 65.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Not having Bauer could hurt. I like RJ and hope he can get the win

Larson beat Hallman pretty convincingly last year. I'm not sure what they are like this season but I wonder if he'd be a better option as 133 backup.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
How. Do I go about getting the live blog

The AD normally tweets out a link to it once they get it up and running. Or just check on Cyclones.com around the time the meet starts. The meet isn't until noon tomorrow so I don't expect to see a link to the blog for at least another 24 hours.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I've been watching the home matches (mostly archived instead of live) on cyclones.tv. Anyone know if they ever put up replays of road duals online last year?

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Is the blog up yet? Track wrestling has it starting at 84, but Weatherman wrestling 84 and Weatherspoon @ 74. Wouldn't be impossible, but wonder if it's a mistake.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I was off - They started at 184, not 174. Tanner is wrestling up and Weatherspoon is getting 174.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron