Friday OT - Favorite comedian

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
What comedian do you most enjoy, if you enjoy stand-up?

I saw David Cross several years ago when he was at Stephens - a lot of people didn't get his humor, but I thought he was great. I'd love to see Aziz Ansari or Louis CK.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Hard to pick just one!

I'll go with Mitch Hedberg

Honorable mentions: Brian Regan, Lewis Black, Dennis Miller, Jim Gaffigan

I do really like Jim Gaffigan, and used to enjoy Dennis Miller a lot. Something about Lewis Black turns me off, though - we get it, you're angry.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
It's tough to beat Louis CK, but I also really like John Mulaney

[video=youtube;5Vph3LoX6bw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vph3LoX6bw[/video]

Reactions: Angie

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
Typical answer, but I gotta go with Dave Chapelle. The way he strings together jokes, stories, and white people voices, while bringing up cultural and social issues is nuts.

Still can't decide which of his specials I like the most, though.

[video=youtube;Mo-ddYhXAZc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo-ddYhXAZc[/video]

Last edited:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
This is the problem I have with Louis CK though.

I think I just find him intrinsically funnier - I don't know what it is. I like Lewis Black, I just really have to take him in small doses.

It's tough to beat Louis CK, but I also really like John Mulaney

I also really enjoy John Mulaney. I just heard his stuff for the first time within the last couple of months, and I really like the way he meters his speech.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I really like Daniel Tosh, but i saw him this summer and it was a little disappointing. But he makes me laugh.

Dave Chappelle had some really good stand up specials years ago.

Lewis Black is good, but when i saw him in person he just recycled some old material.

Eddie Murphy was probably the first comedian that i watched and made me laugh out loud. (Ice Cream Truck story about made me **** myself). Eddie Murphy - Ice Cream (HD) - YouTube

Lisa Lamponeli was hillarious in person, saw her in a small club and she picked on my whole group of friends for about 30 min of her stand up.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think I just find him intrinsically funnier - I don't know what it is. I like Lewis Black, I just really have to take him in small doses.

I also really enjoy John Mulaney. I just heard his stuff for the first time within the last couple of months, and I really like the way he meters his speech.

Black is angry politically it seems, CK is angry with life. May be why I identify with the former.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Black is angry politically it seems, CK is angry with life. May be why I identify with the former.

I identify a lot with having a small daughter. So a lot of that makes me laugh. "My 3-year-old is a 3-year-old" is pretty dead-on.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Bill Cosby. He was on the Daily Show the other night and I thought I'd die. Not one dirty word, either. Wonderfulness.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Big Jay Oakerson & Sam Kinison

I was thinking about Sam Kinison the other day (you probably don't even want to know what goes on in my mind). Anyway - I remember his cover of "Wild Thing," even though I was super-young at the time. Wasn't he on a sitcom when he passed away?

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
Bill Cosby. He was on the Daily Show the other night and I thought I'd die. Not one dirty word, either. Wonderfulness.

I'm pretty sure I saw a commercial for a special he's doing... "I'm Not Done Yet" but I can't recall when it's airing.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
FLUFFY!!!!!!!

Cant stand Daniel Tosh, he is an idiot.

I waver on Tosh. I enjoy a lot of his stuff, but the "I'm going to offend you" thing gets really old.