Mika's Eye Injury Update

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Glad to hear there is no risk of vision loss. The eye isn't the toughest of organs, so I was worried this would have some long lasting effects. Intent or no intent, it was a bad situation and he's a heck of a player. I was amazed to see he was a freshman with his frame and the polish to his post game.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The scratched cornea thing happens in basketball, especially to taller players. Kareem Abdul Jabbar eventually started wearing the goggles after it happened a few times to him.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The scratched cornea thing happens in basketball, especially to taller players. Kareem Abdul Jabbar eventually started wearing the goggles after it happened a few times to him.

Sioux City's own Kirk Hinrich has been wearing goggles for about 4 years now.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
On that first time he went down... nobody even touched him except for the trainer kicking him. That was an oscar worthy flop.

Not true. From the other angle you clearly see that the BYU player already on the floor hit him pretty hard in the shin with the back of his head.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Marcus Fizer wore goggles a few minutes in his first game at ISU. He promised his mom that he would try it because she was worried about his eyes. He couldn't stand them and took them off never to be seen again before the half was even over.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
One cornea scratch is not going to require goggles. Didn't announcers say after this year he is going on his mission? By the time he plays again after that, his eye will have completely forgotten this scratch

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I think some forget how fast DI players can move their hands/arms.

I do think Kane was going for the ball but Mika pumped faked. As fast as some DI guards can move their hands there's just no way to retract em that fast. Once they commit to swiping a ball or blocking it, it's done.

shildreth

Mar 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Okay... couple of things. First, Mika is only a freshman, right?... Wow. Kid's going to be good when/if he plays again after his two year mission...

2nd: Both the elbow to the face and the eye poking looked like they were accidents. Kane's looked a heck of a lot worse, and after watching the replay, what choice did the refs really have. We can argue all we want about how Kane was anticipating the ball coming up and trying to strip it (but apparently thought Mika's face was the ball), but the reality is if you watch the replay, it looks like Kane is a freaking kung fu master taking Mika out. I truly believe it was a complete and unfortunate accident, and you can see Kane trying to pull his fingers back (curled back oddly) even as he does it, but he still freaking poked the guy in the face/eyes without even touching the ball. I can't argue much with the ejection. The replay looks terrible. On the other side, Mika's elbow did in fact look like a basketball move. I think the foul should have been wiped, but not sure if that's allowed or not. I didn't see any ill will/egregious elbows on Mika's part in this case either, just a result of a lot of normal contact, so agreed with the call after the review (other than the foul shot...). At the end of the day, the two incidents don't relate at all IMO just because the video looks so different. I'm 100% on board with Kane's inadvertent eye rake, but still, out of context, and not knowing Kane beyond his previous rep, it looks a lot worse... I'm hoping Kane sends an apology/get well of some sort, despite it being the accident it was.

As for Ejim, c'mon buddy... Too much. I get it, you're frustrated... But you've gotta do better than/you're too smart for that. Paired with Kane's "eye raking" photo makes this team look bad... If I'm Hoiberg, I actually sit Ejim as punishment for the first half of the next game (though it could be argued that it doesn't really make a point given the next opponent). Kane's "rake" was an accident, but Ejim's incident was a poor decision, and uncharacteristic of him as a person. ISU needs to carry itself better than that... Leave the antics to CF and the Waxman (he needs a bigger jersey or something)... Keep winning, but don't forget to carry yourself as reps of ISU.

My guess is he was already going to sit to allow for some knee heal time. Especially after the failed oop attempt that looked like he landed awkward. Call it a suspension to appease people but I but he is sitting anyway.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
My guess is he was already going to sit to allow for some knee heal time. Especially after the failed oop attempt that looked like he landed awkward. Call it a suspension to appease people but I but he is sitting anyway.

The only reason I don't like that plan is that it would be Hoiberg saying that a suspension is deserved. No need to appease anybody.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I work with injured athletes for a living, and I really hate seeing guys get hurt. No matter what. I really hope he heals up quickly.

I feel bad for the kid, but I have drawn a huge hatred for BYU and their fans mentality.

CycloneJL

Jun 14, 2010
Cedar Falls
Marcus Fizer wore goggles a few minutes in his first game at ISU. He promised his mom that he would try it because she was worried about his eyes. He couldn't stand them and took them off never to be seen again before the half was even over.

I believe Fizer's goggles were prescription and his mother was worried about him wearing contacts during games (which he eventually did).

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa

I thought he injured it again when he landed. Thankfully I was wrong.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I hope the coach chewed the trainer for slipping and kicking the dude. WTF is up with that? :shocked:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I hope the coach chewed the trainer for slipping and kicking the dude. WTF is up with that? :shocked:

You would think that guy would know by now that there would be sweat all over the floor, isn't there always when the trainer gets called out to the floor?

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011

I think it was his other knee that he landed on. I think he landed on his right knee funny last night. Left knee was hyperextended, I think. I could be wrong. Only watched it once at live speed.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Tell that goon to get his damn eyes off our guy's claws.

His eyes just wanted revenge for his elbow.

But more seriously, glad it wasn't serious. Had a scratch on my cornea as a preteen and it's nothing. Wore a patch for a day to encourage keeping my eye shut and was fine the following day. As for the head to the shin, that looked weak but I guess I built up a tolerance of being kicked in the shins/ankles/knees. Sucks for about 5 seconds.