Team Identity

cyborg

Oct 18, 2006
You might identify some teams as spread teams, others as power running teams, and a few teams might be great defensive teams. Five years ago, given that the two best coaches, Rhoads and Wally, were defensive coordinators, I would have bet that by year 5 ISU would have a strong defensive team. That is very far from the case. Last spring Coach Rhoads said that this years defensive group would be the fastest defense he has had since he has been here. Added speed has not helped. The main problem seems to be recruiting. ISU does not recruit the kids that can play right away. They recruit kids with potential who have to be developed. Not all players develop and unfortunately not all players stay. On defense ISU is probably hurting the worst at the LB position, where it seems quite a few young kids have left the program, leaving no experienced depth this season. If possible, I would like ISU to put an emphasis on becoming a team that is identified as having a strong defense in the next few years.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
In recruiting it's pretty clear Rhoads has put an emphasis in recruiting on the offensive side recently since the defense was generally pretty solid in years 1-4. The defense is hurting for a variety of reasons: inexperienced guys starting, players changing positions, etc. Iowa State can possibly improve recruiting some on defense, but will more than likely never have a lot of guys who can come in and play a lot right away. Just have to develop guys well and recruit the as well as possible to have a chance to compete with the big boys.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
First - there is no team identity this year. Zero.

About the defense - I do see the increased speed. However, there is a lot of inexperience on the defense - which has led to guys being in the wrong spot and taking bad tackling angles.

When a program graduates not one, but two NFL linebackers, unless you're a top 10 program - there are gonna be some issues.

The defense is below average this year - everyone knew (or should have known) that coming into the season. However, in a number of games or large parts of games - the unit has exceeded my expectations. The offense has just been so damn awful the defense gets zero help in the game. OU game a perfect example of a unit that played well for all of the first half and the offense was actually controlling the ball. Offense in the 2nd half goes back to sucking harder than a teenager on prom night - and the defense gets rolled.

I still believe Wally is great coordinator - he didn't suddenly forget how to coach this season.

Reactions: isustrong

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Thank God for basketball. I'll be at the football game, but have mentally checked out of football.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Thank God for basketball. I'll be at the football game, but have mentally checked out of football.

I'm just hoping we win these next few games and give the players and the fans something to look forward to next year. These are the two of the worst opponents we play this year (other than UNI, Tulsa, and banged up TCU), so we have a legitimate shot to beat these two teams.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
22 is right about no identity this year. Curious as to what others think about steps needed to develop an identity, or steps needed to get one back?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
If we have a functioning offense our defensive identity should be bend but don't break and be opportunistic. Tough to do that when the O keeps going three and out. I'll be curious to see just what the plan is for the offense after this season is over. When I look at the skill position guys in place for next year (Bundrage, Wimberly, Nealy, Montgomery, Lazard, etc.), I think this is potentially a really explosive spread offense. Get those guys in space and expose the one on one matchups with quick throws. But it can't work without an effective offensive line, an accurate QB, and/or an offensive coordinator who doesn't have his head firmly tucked up his ***. CPR has some huge decisions to make on the offensive side of the ball.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I hope that whatever we do, we move to either a traditional spread or pro-style offense. We do not have the line to run a read-option, triple-option or pistol. Plus, the pistol has basically rendered our tight ends insignificant. Brun and Bibbs would be much more effective if we could establish some semblance of a running game and then play-action to them.

Not claiming to be an offensive guru, but the thought of having our current offensive ineptitude next year (while having Bundrage on one side, Lazard on the other and Wimberly in the backfield) makes me ill. If an OC can't stretch the field with three playmakers like that, then I'll start losing my faith in CPR. Until then, I'm a LSFT and I'm backing him completely.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
herman4.jpg

We are this guy, made up of a lot of different parts, we are anything but scary and we pretty much just bumble along. Maybe we should just put the words Darn Darn Darn Darn on our helmets

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I always thought our identity was where we forced 4+ turnovers to win big games. IE @ Texas, @ Nebraska, OSU, @TCU @ Tech etc.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I don't know this team's identity and I'm glad. I bet it's one of the ugliest things I've seen.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I hope that whatever we do, we move to either a traditional spread or pro-style offense. We do not have the line to run a read-option, triple-option or pistol. Plus, the pistol has basically rendered our tight ends insignificant. Brun and Bibbs would be much more effective if we could establish some semblance of a running game and then play-action to them.

Not claiming to be an offensive guru, but the thought of having our current offensive ineptitude next year (while having Bundrage on one side, Lazard on the other and Wimberly in the backfield) makes me ill. If an OC can't stretch the field with three playmakers like that, then I'll start losing my faith in CPR. Until then, I'm a LSFT and I'm backing him completely.
Thank god, I thought you were a ****.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Our Identity is that of the matador: valiant, brave and

hAF97C2C4

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron