Hogue

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
IMO, he'll be our "x factor" all year. Plays with so much enthusiasm - he's such a great spark for this team. Has an Ejim "glue guy" (ha) type of play to him.

I think with the way Niang struggled most of the game, it actually worked in our favor he picked up that 4th foul early in the 2nd half - causing Hogue to be on the floor so long.

An extremely fun player to watch and his skillset is much needed on this team.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
He is much much much better on the offensive end than I expected him to be. And really an Ejim-level rebounder.

He never played close to 37 minutes in a game at Indian Hills, but he didn't look winded at all at the end. He seemed to have just as much energy at the end of the game as he did at the beginning. He seemed to get his hands on every rebound in the last couple minutes.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
He's a very good all around player. I also didn't except him to be this good on the offensive side. He will be very effective for us this season in all phases of the game.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Did I hear the TV guy correctly that Dustin has a brother that's a LB for the Panthers?

A linebackers mentality therefore.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I think it was Rothstein that tweeted that Hogue would be a very similar player to Travis Releford. This indeed appears to be correct. He's definitely impressed me.

He's a good defender/rebounder, which maybe isn't surprising, but he's also a pretty capable player offensively.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think it was Rothstein that tweeted that Hogue would be a very similar player to Travis Releford. This indeed appears to be correct. He's definitely impressed me.
That's a good comparison.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Pretty eye opening yesterday.....our front court out muscled Big Blue (not in stats/in appearance). Hogue, Kane and Ejim will be tough on the boards all year...

Last edited:

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Pretty eye opening yesterday.....our front court out muscled Big Blue. Hogue, Kane and Ejim will be tough on the boards all year...

One factor on that is that once again our frontcourt forced the other team to go small the whole game. Horford and Morgan combined to play just 18 minutes with 4 points and 5 boards (and 3 fouls). It's really hard to play traditional bigs against our lineup.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Hogue is a boss. I am giddy at the idea of having him, Ejim and Kane on the floor at the same time. Great defense and great rebounding.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
To me, he is pretty much like having Ejim part deuce out there. Their playing style/body type are very similar, only Hogue just isn't quite to Ejim's level yet. To me, I compare Hogue more right now to the level Ejim was at a couple years ago. All said and done, there is nothing wrong with that. I'll take Sophmore Ejim any day of the week to compliment Senior Ejim.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
To me, he is pretty much like having Ejim part deuce out there. Their playing style/body type are very similar, only Hogue just isn't quite to Ejim's level yet. To me, I compare Hogue more right now to the level Ejim was at a couple years ago. All said and done, there is nothing wrong with that. I'll take Sophmore Ejim any day of the week to compliment Senior Ejim.
Correct. Graduating Ejim this year will be painful for the next - but having Hogue will help the sting.

Hogue looks to be the guy that we had hoped Dendy would grow into.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I love his motor and his effort, but dude's got to quit hoisting up threes. I know Fred pretty much green lights everyone, but I was ready to rip my hair out watching him lay up brick city from three. That's not his strength. I know with our tendancy to shoot threes, players can get caught up in that, but he's so strong in so many other aspects, he's got to know that.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
My only concern is that he starts trying to take too many 3s. I'm glad he can, but I want him looking for boards, not 3s, on most trips down court.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I love his motor and his effort, but dude's got to quit hoisting up threes. I know Fred pretty much green lights everyone, but I was ready to rip my hair out watching him lay up brick city from three. That's not his strength. I know with our tendancy to shoot threes, players can get caught up in that, but he's so strong in so many other aspects, he's got to know that.

If he's open, he needs to shoot it. He's 3-7 (43%) on the season. Even if he only makes 1 out of every 3, he still needs to shoot it.

Help Support Us

Become a patron