La Gesse Column---Defeatism Must End

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
La Gesse Column: ISU

It's nothing we didn't already talk about, but a good article.

I think I disagree with one of his assertions. He mentions that allowing this attitude to fester would be worse than the effect of a one-win season. I would say that it's the expected effect of a one-win season.

Still a good article with a good finger on the team's pulse (or at least seems that way).

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

I think I disagree with one of his assertions. He mentions that allowing this attitude to fester would be worse than the effect of a one-win season. I would say that it's the expected effect of a one-win season.

Still a good article with a good finger on the team's pulse (or at least seems that way).
Thanks for the link, but I have to ask - how does Bobby La Gesse know what the mood of the team is? How would anyone outside of the team know?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
At least the game was okay the first half. The second half looked worse than Baylor game.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
And recent articles in the Ames Tribune and DM Register haven't been a big part of that defeatist attitude?

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010

I went and watched CPR's post game presser. I know they are a one win team, but it's just amazing that they are that emotionally fragile and beat down. I guess I don't blame the kids at this point. I'm not in the get rid of Rhoads camp, but this just confirms for me what a lousy job he has done leading this program this year. Having a team ready to play and developing some modicum of mental toughness comes from the top. We'll see if he's smart enough and humble enough to learn from this debacle of a season (and more importantly to make needed changes). The rest of that press conference was pretty weak too, almost sounded McCarney like in some ways.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
I don't agree with everything Bobby La Geese writes; however, he is spot on with this article. There is no excuse for that type of 2nd half. The team showed no heart and gave up. That performance was embarrassing. I have never been as down on our football program as I am today. Better days ahead. Go Cyclones!

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Sorry McCarney Haters, you are going to hate this story, but when Dan came here after the team went 0 wins in '94, in the 4th quarter of Mac's first game, when Ohio U took the lead, Mac said his team on the sideline had the "Here We Go Again" look on their faces.

Things changed because Troy Davis put the Offense on his back and ran the football for first down after first down and ran the flipping football into the endzone for our first win of Mac's tenure.

I we cant beat either KU or WVA well....its "Here We Go Again", and that wont be good.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Dumbest article I've read in a long time. Obviously he played a lot of football and knows exactly what the team was thinking.

Paul Rhoads is the one saying what the team was thinking and Bobby was just quoting him, at least that is how I read it. I have to say though, seeing that punt return reminded me so much of when we punted to the Kansas State guy with a big lead and ended up losing the game. I think that was right before half also.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Well before he admits the defeatist attitude he should admit to pulling the ball out if his players hands at the end of the 2nd quarter with the ball on the 40 and almost 3 minutes to play. Bar none the most ****** at Rhoads I have ever been.

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
The coaches showed their defeatist attitude when they were up 10-3 with two mins left in the first half and they got the ball on the 40. They ran 3 straight give up plays to try and eat up the clock instead of attacking. If you want to beat OK you have to be the aggressor. How can you expect a team to not give up when they see their coaches do it?

Reactions: ThatllDoCy

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
The coaches showed their defeatist attitude when they were up 10-3 with two mins left in the first half and they got the ball on the 40. They ran 3 straight give up plays to try and eat up the clock instead of attacking. If you want to beat OK you have to be the aggressor. How can you expect a team to not give up when they see their coaches do it?
Agree 100%. I told my wife after the 3rd down play that Rhoads just gave OU the game and sure enough next play. The turning point of the game was not the punt return, it was the conservative playcalling when any score by us before half would have kept the momentum.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Paul can't do it alone. He needs someone on Offense to help lead the team and get them believing in themselves. The poor play calling and execution has lead to this lack of confidence. We desperately need someone on that side of the ball that can lead.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

Exactly. I knew we were going to lose after that series. The punt return only sealed the deal. In CPR's first 4 seasons we were almost always playing to win, not not-to-lose. Especially on the road and against ranked opponents. That has changed for some reason this year.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Paul can't do it alone. He needs someone on Offense to help lead the team and get them believing in themselves. The poor play calling and execution has lead to this lack of confidence. We desperately need someone on that side of the ball that can lead.

Bingo.

La Gesse's column about the 2nd half is correct, but the point where the team lost their confidence was not the punt return. It was the series before that when the coaches completely gave up on the team.

Do you think Baylor would have sat on it there? C'mon Paul, show some faith in your players. Let them try to win a game. Throw the ball deep and let them make plays on it. Throw in a few trick plays. Do something to let your team know you came down there to win the game, not just hope to lose by less than 50.