Wolverines Rivals thread about the game

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Agree, these posters seem to have a good handle on their team and also the strengths/weaknesses of ISU. Even a guy that points out ISU is undersized, but still gets after it on the boards.

But...there always has to be "that guy"

I'll take Michigan in a 20 point blowout.

We're a top ten team without Mitch. With him we'd destroy any of those team that I saw play Tuesday night.
By the teams he saw on Tuesday night, I'm assuming he means Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and Mich State.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Agree, these posters seem to have a good handle on their team and also the strengths/weaknesses of ISU. Even a guy that points out ISU is undersized, but still gets after it on the boards.

But...there always has to be "that guy"

By the teams he saw on Tuesday night, I'm assuming he means Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and Mich State.

I for one enjoyed Sven's blatant homerism.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
LOL at the guy expecting a 20 point road win in Hilton. He is going to be severely disappointed on Sunday.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
He knew his stuff, I like that he posted the clip of crowd noise at the KU game. I think the noise will definitely approach KU levels for this one.

While I appreciate the clip... watching that made my stomach turn, considering what happened in the last 45 seconds of regulation after that shot. When Niang hit that i was convinced we were going to win... silly me.

mwills

Feb 28, 2013
Lone Clone - if you read this, keep your insecure analysis to yourself. you are making us look bad on that otherwise awesome thread.

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

I don't disagree with anything anybody has said about Iowa State. Some pretty well-informed posters, IMHO.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, though, and is pretty important, is that Hoiberg's teams have always started slowly, for a reason that is true this year, as well: A whole bunch of newbies who haven't meshed into a team yet. Here's who the Cyclones will be starting:

A sophomore who moved into the starting lineup in mid-season last year
A sophomore who didn't play enough to letter last season
A senior transfer who wasn't in Ames last season
A JC transfer who wasn't in Ames last season
A true freshman

The first guard off the bench will be a true freshman.
The first big guy off the bench will be a JC transfer who wasn't in Ames last season.

This assumes Ejim won't be playing. He's very good. Led the Big XII in rebounding and in double-doubles last season, and has started for several years.

I'm not poor-mouthing my guys. I'll be surprised and disappointed if they aren't competitive, and I think by the time conference season rolls around, they'll be pretty salty. The upside is tremendous. But this is definitely a work in progress, and it's very early.

Sorry but that is completely ridiculous. You can say the exact same thing about 3 of the 4 teams in the champions classic last week, yet all 3 can play with any team in the country despite being primarily made up of new guys who hadn't played together. I mean for ****** sake, Michigan's 7 of 8 top players are 5 sophomores (McGary, Robinson III, Lavert, Stauskas, Spike) and 2 freshman (Irvin, Walton), IOWA STATE HAS MORE COLLEGE EXPERIENCE!!!!.

This is just REALLY stupid analysis.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Actually, though its a bit overly negative in tone, what Loneclone is saying is essentially correct. We do have a lot of new guys who will take some time to mesh, and that has been a characteristic of Fred's teams thus far. Fred seems to work the season with an aim towards the NCAA tournament, allowing his players to grow into their roles and his squads have seemed to peak their performance in February and March. That doesn't mean we're bad in November, but I think LC is just saying this team is a far cry from what it will be by late in the season. And while most teams show gradual improvement over time, Fred's teams exaggerate this tendency...in part due to the melding of new players and in part due to his deliberate coaching methodology. This is a positive trend IMHO, and I don't think its unreasonable for LC to point that out.

Not having Ejim is also an important factor in the game for us that is worthy of mention.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Lone Clone is a moron. That is all.

Lone Clone is absolutely correct in his analysis, the MBB at ISU is talented, but has played very little as a team. Also, Fred's teams have come out of the gate pretty slowly in the past. Remember the disaster in Iowa City last year?

I expect the Clones to put up a good fight, but will be surprised if they can pull off a win like this early in the season. It really all comes down to how well ISU shoots from the outside. If Naz goes off again, than I like their chances...

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Lone Clone may be correct, but what good is it to post something like that on an opponent's message board? That post makes me queasy when I read it.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Lone Clone may be correct, but what good is it to post something like that on an opponent's message board? That post makes me queasy when I read it.

This is exactly the same team makeup of Fred's last 3 teams. Hopefully next year there will not be as many new faces on the team. That being said, Fred has done an amazing job of molding very good teams out of the transfers and JC guys, so we just expect it to happen again. Bottom line is Fred is a great coach, and I expect this team to be good by the end of the year. Right now they are still not there, and without ME they are missing the experienced guy knows how to tough it out when things go wrong.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron