Fed up with US Cellular!!

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Anyone with US Cellular has probably been angry at them the last few months. First they screw up billing for August so no one has to pay. Then they start changing everyone's due dates. In October they charged me for August plus October, then the August charge disappeared. Now it's back on my November bill plus a "Restore from Suspension" fee for my phone being turned off for about 6 hours. So now I have a $200 phone bill with a different due date again in December.

With all the money they are making and some markets being bought out by Sprint, I think they should have just let August slide since it was their fault anyway.

Seriously considering switching, but US Cellular is the cheapest for me since it's just a single line.

Concerned Third Party

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009
I went in earlier this week and talked to them about all the problems. They said it was related to switching all the lines over to 4G. they told me we (northeast Iowa) would go 4G on Friday the 15th. So far nothing I've seen today is 4G. They did give me a year early upgrade on a new phone, went Moto X

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
The reason they had the billing snafu is because of their switch to provide Apple's iPhones. Apple required the switch to move up to their security standards. Needless to say the conversion didn't go well. But I gotta tell you, it would take a bancruptcy for me to switch from US Cellular. Verizon is a racket IMO.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I have Straight Talk. It's only 3G but $45 mo. for unlimited talk\text\data.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
The reason they had the billing snafu is because of their switch to provide Apple's iPhones. Apple required the switch to move up to their security standards. Needless to say the conversion didn't go well. But I gotta tell you, it would take a bancruptcy for me to switch from US Cellular. Verizon is a racket IMO.

husband hasn't said anything about it being due to Apple........the billing system change has been a long time in coming and was implemented before neither the system provider nor US Cellular were ready. Which all the people working in the system (including my husband) could see months ahead of time, but unfortunately, they were not high up enough to force the conversion to be put on hold.

Cue the last eight months of 70+ hour weeks :realmad:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Does US Cellular have pagers? Serious question. At this point in time I can't reveal why this is important.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
husband hasn't said anything about it being due to Apple........the billing system change has been a long time in coming and was implemented before neither the system provider nor US Cellular were ready. Which all the people working in the system (including my husband) could see months ahead of time, but unfortunately, they were not high up enough to force the conversion to be put on hold.

Cue the last eight months of 70+ hour weeks :realmad:

Having worked in health care IT previously, I was extremely surprised USCC didn't have a back-up/back out plan if the upgrade didn't work. To have a major system go down like that for that period of time is really not acceptable...but we've stayed so far.

They changed our bill due date, too, ftom the day after a payday to a day before a payday. *blech*

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Having worked in health care IT previously, I was extremely surprised USCC didn't have a back-up/back out plan if the upgrade didn't work. To have a major system go down like that for that period of time is really not acceptable...but we've stayed so far.

They changed our bill due date, too, ftom the day after a payday to a day before a payday. *blech*

from what i know, the company building the system was on the hook for anything that went wrong and it was somewhat of a game of chicken between them and uscc ( who would be in trouble for not implementing by the deadline). well more things went wrong than the higher ups expected and the company responisble for fixing it hasnt been so great at that. again, not anything husband's group didnt see coming.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Well the only one I would switch to is Sprint, Verizon sucks in my area. My best friend has Sprint and she said she loves it. Price wise they are about they same. I'm on there website now but while filling out information when buying a phone, the website freezes up when trying to enter a username.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The biggest problem I have had with US Cell is the phones. They really try to force you into a data plan, and they only have a couple really junkie phones that don't required a data plan. Also, if your phone dies before your rewards period you are stuck paying $200 for a piece of crap phone and $35 to activate it. Make sure you keep your old phone!

They do have good coverage, and that is about it. Their customer service is at the Mediacom level.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I only have a personal data plan for a 4g hotspot. Besides all of the stupid billing problems my data usage has also almost doubled. I think they are niw counting both upload and download. At $25 for only 2 GB's and $10 for every additional GB it sucks balls. i dont have a lot of options thoug being 10 miles from any town.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
My wife runs her business through them and she has bills that should be under $125/month are running $1,100. And my car insurance had a recent convergence and did same thing until we dropped them. Had a similar problem last spring with dental/health claims; they'd say we never made co-pays and started action against us. Private companies all no Gov. agency.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Love my Wine III phone and US Cellular service. Never a dropped call regardless where I travel. The billing issue was easy to solve with one stop at the Cellular office on South Duff here in Ames.

Reactions: CRcyclone6

AllIowaTeams

Jun 10, 2010
Grimes
Well the only one I would switch to is Sprint, Verizon sucks in my area. My best friend has Sprint and she said she loves it. Price wise they are about they same. I'm on there website now but while filling out information when buying a phone, the website freezes up when trying to enter a username.

I personally wouldn't go with Sprint. Not because the company is bad, but their coverage is horrible unless you're in a pretty good sized city. I would be in Granger, Bondurant, etc. and have no signal. If you spend all of your time in Des Moines or Ames then it's fine.