Blu-ray Players - Suggestions?

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I went to a local electronics store (Ultimate Electronics) yesterday to do some comparative shopping on Blu-ray players. I couldn't find any in the store. The sales clerk told me that they were completely sold out and, in fact, had 250 pre-ordered Sony players for customers. These things are flying off of the shelves.

I asked what differences were between players and he told me that the only fundamental difference was load time. (Panasonic having the quickest loading times?)

Any recommendations?

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
Honestly I think the PS3 is the way to go. It's a win-win if you have kids. I don't play video games but I think the PS3 will play both Blueray DVD's and HD-DVD's.

Blueray and HD-DVD's are not compatable. Also, I think each only have about 300 dvd's for sale.

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
Unless you're one of the people who has to be in on the leading edge of new technology, I would wait to purchase a player. Prices are only going down now that more manufacturers will focus on Bluray. That being said, if I were to purchase one I'd probably just get a PS3 at this point.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
I got a free Sony BD player with my Bravia, excellent quality but slow load time. I had seen that as a gripe on several consumer reviews, and was pretty surprised by it.

I wouldn't have bought one yet anyways, but like I said it came with the TV. If I were going to buy one, I'd go with a PS3. Same price as most BD players, and it plays games as well! When I got my PS2, that was my only dvd player for quite some time.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
If I were going to buy one, I'd go with a PS3. Same price as most BD players, and it plays games as well! When I got my PS2, that was my only dvd player for quite some time.

Same here, both times...ps2 was the dvd/game system through college and when it finally took a crap dvd players were affordable. Thats also why I went with the ps3, the wife hates the games but enjoys movies. Double up unless your not into gaming, then I think you've got a tough as rain decision.

MJAnderson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2007
This is a stupid question but, does a Blue Ray player play regular DVD's?

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
ok, so I probably should go with a PS3, ok....do the PS3's upconvert regular DVD's to near 1080 resolution?

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
ok, so I probably should go with a PS3, ok....do the PS3's upconvert regular DVD's to near 1080 resolution?

Yes, and BD players do a better job of upconverting than 1080 upconvert DVD players. At least, that's what the salesman told me...and he wasn't trying to sell me the BD player, just the tv.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Keep in mind that just because it will upconvert it to 1080 to display on your TV, it's going to look good but not like the 720p or 1080i content you see on TV.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Did any of you fellow PS3 owners buy the Bluetooth remote for it? Just wondering since a lot of you guys use yours for playing movies. I do too, but just use the controller

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I have a 56" 1080p TV. I am currently using a Denon DVD player with a Farouja Video Processing chip, so my DVD's don't look bad, I am just anxious to use my tv's capabilities.

MrGreg

Oct 18, 2006
Did any of you fellow PS3 owners buy the Bluetooth remote for it? Just wondering since a lot of you guys use yours for playing movies. I do too, but just use the controller

No, I don't really see the point. I guess a remote would be easier to use, but I'm not big on spending money when I don't have to, and a wireless controller works perfectly fine

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
I had the remote kit when I used my PS2 as my dvd player, but then again the regular controllers were not wireless.

Speaking of PS2, does anyone have problems getting theirs to go to 16:9? When I first got my HD TV I could not get it to go wide for games or movies, even going into the setup and selecting 16:9 tv. My PS2 is from the first release, and I had heard that some of those were not able to output 16:9. Either way, not a big deal because I rarely play it and don't use it for DVD's anymore, just wondering if anyone has heard of this problem.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron