Embarrassing Sports Stories

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

josh4isu

Aug 10, 2010
Iowa
Ran across a story in a different thread about some guy getting punched in the face, missing technical free throws, and losing by one and I thought that I should share this gem.

Dont give me any of that TL;DR crap either, its friday, and youll laugh at this.

In high school my team was AWFUL at basketball. It was an away game and we forced another awful team into overtime. Tie game, they hit a shot to go up 2. We're out of time outs. I have no idea how much time is left.

I play PG and get the ball inbounded to me and the opposing crowd does the fake time count down "FIIIIVE, FOOOOOUR, THREEE" so me being unaware. I hesitate, pump fake, and launch from half-court. I get fouled in the act of shooting.....with 3.8 seconds left.

First free throw- miss
Second free throw- miss
Third free throw- CLANK

Skipped school the next day.

I would've rather gotten punched in the face. :skeptical::skeptical::skeptical:

Reactions: boone7247

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Senior year Baseball, we were horrible. I crushed a pitch to dead center, me being the guy who never hit a homerun in his life thought it was gone, I put my head down to run to first, but feeling so good I looked up a couple steps before I got to first base. The centerfielder (all conference) was on his horse Willie Mays style. Just as I reach the bag he reaches out and catches the ball 2 feet short of the fence. Not paying attention to what I was doing because I was too busy watching the catch, I step right on top of first base and fall flat on my face.

josh4isu

Aug 10, 2010
Iowa
Senior year Baseball, we were horrible. I crushed a pitch to dead center, me being the guy who never hit a homerun in his life thought it was gone, I put my head down to run to first, but feeling so good I looked up a couple steps before I got to first base. The centerfielder (all conference) was on his horse Willie Mays style. Just as I reach the bag he reaches out and catches the ball 2 feet short of the fence. Not paying attention to what I was doing because I was too busy watching the catch, I step right on top of first base and fall flat on my face.

that. is. awesome.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
In my high school basketball career, I was a serial flopper. At 6'6 and 160 pounds, you do what you have to do. My senior year I was running a pick and roll set with a teammate and his defender was aggressively going over the top of the screen I was setting. So I figured the next time I'd slide over just a little more and hit the deck if he even grazed me on his way through. Cheap foul, and that sort of thing infuriates some players and takes them out of their game. Next time down the floor I went to set the pick, and instead of going over the screen the defenders switched. The anticipated contact never happened but I had already started going back. Too late to regain my balance, I just followed through the fall and plopped down on my butt. A friend told me that it looked like I had maybe fainted or a stiff breeze had blown through the gym and knocked me over. The ref actually laughed at me, as did virtually everyone else in the gym.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Well since no one else wants to share.

Senior year football, once again we are pretty ****** finished 2 -7. We are playing a top 10 ranked team in the state, this is class 1A. I was QB my best friend was our tailback. The other team is just killing us, everytime we run a play their defensive line is coming through the line as soon as the ball is hiked. So two plays are memorable. First the call is a 21 trap, so the right guard is going to pull the wing back on the right is going to come and take a reverse handoff from me behind the pulling guard. (brilliant play calling by our coach). The ball is snapped, I reverse pivot look to hand off and all I see is 3 opposing players standing between me and the guy I am supposed to hand the ball off to. Amazingly I escaped around end had the longest running play of the game, I believe it was 8 yards and I sprained my knee on a horse collar tackle, no flag was thrown, as in 1998 they didn't have a horse collar rule.

Anyway that play just sets up the story for this play. I have to stay in the game because our backup QB played to many quarters of the JV game that week, so now I am playing behind a crappy line against a top 10 team in the state, with a bum knee. Luckily our coach basically called a run every play cause my knee really couldn't support me throwing. Anyway I am off track. So the call is for a 34 lead, standard I formation. The ball is snapped, I reverse pivot again, go to hand off to my buddy, the D tackle comes through wraps both of us up together and takes us to the ground facemask to facemask. Literally he tackled the two of us right as the ball was in my buddies gut, neither of us really had a hold of it was sandwiched between us. We both just spit out our mouth pieces and laughed.

Sorry that was long winded.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
9th grade basketball game with just under 2 minutes left in the game. Coach finally sends me and another scrub in. We sit at the scorer's table waiting for a deadball and it never comes. Finally the ball goes out of bounds with one second left on the clock. You should have heard the laughter from the crowd and both benches as we went into the game with one whole second left on the clock. The other guy didn't want to go in, but I dragged him out onto the court.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
i broke my hand running in track senior year. it was a cold rainy day and the girls team was stretching as we were gunning warm up sprints. hit my buddies elbow as it was coming back and my hand was coming forward, shattered the bone. i yell out a word i wouldnt say in front of my mother, and clutch my hand with my other hand but was holding it down near my groin. the entire girls track team of 120+ looks over and thinks that i just got hit in my man bits and starts laughing.

Isu23fan

Sep 1, 2012
Sioux City, Iowa
Well this one time..............
16149d1351997057-did-jeremiah-george-gamble-lose-a6yyviiciaey1zf.jpg

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
i broke my hand running in track senior year. it was a cold rainy day and the girls team was stretching as we were gunning warm up sprints. hit my buddies elbow as it was coming back and my hand was coming forward, shattered the bone. i yell out a word i wouldnt say in front of my mother, and clutch my hand with my other hand but was holding it down near my groin. the entire girls track team of 120+ looks over and thinks that i just got hit in my man bits and starts laughing.

Reminds me of a basketball practice.

Surprisingly we were decent at basketball. Anyway senior year gain. Our girls always hosted a 4 team tournament to start their season, they were always local schools involved so by senior year we knew some of girls on the other teams pretty good. There was one team there that had 1 of 2 of the hottest girls in all of SW Iowa on their team. We were running sprints, the girls form the other team were sitting in the stands watching us run, as they waited to take the court to warm up for their game. We had chili that day for lunch. Needless to say that chili came back up all over the floor. The girls scattered from the bleachers. I went and rinsed my mouth out at the drinking fountain, then came back and finished my sprints. Coach gave me the Captains shorts the next day, A) for finishing my sprint B) for ruining any remote chance I ever had of dating said super hot chick. Mind you I had no chance before I barfed everywhere, but it was even less after that I am sure.

M6WS6

Jan 24, 2011
Ames, IA
Well since no one else wants to share.

Senior year football, once again we are pretty ****** finished 2 -7. We are playing a top 10 ranked team in the state, this is class 1A. I was QB my best friend was our tailback. The other team is just killing us, everytime we run a play their defensive line is coming through the line as soon as the ball is hiked. So two plays are memorable. First the call is a 21 trap, so the right guard is going to pull the wing back on the right is going to come and take a reverse handoff from me behind the pulling guard. (brilliant play calling by our coach). The ball is snapped, I reverse pivot look to hand off and all I see is 3 opposing players standing between me and the guy I am supposed to hand the ball off to. Amazingly I escaped around end had the longest running play of the game, I believe it was 8 yards and I sprained my knee on a horse collar tackle, no flag was thrown, as in 1998 they didn't have a horse collar rule.

Anyway that play just sets up the story for this play. I have to stay in the game because our backup QB played to many quarters of the JV game that week, so now I am playing behind a crappy line against a top 10 team in the state, with a bum knee. Luckily our coach basically called a run every play cause my knee really couldn't support me throwing. Anyway I am off track. So the call is for a 34 lead, standard I formation. The ball is snapped, I reverse pivot again, go to hand off to my buddy, the D tackle comes through wraps both of us up together and takes us to the ground facemask to facemask. Literally he tackled the two of us right as the ball was in my buddies gut, neither of us really had a hold of it was sandwiched between us. We both just spit out our mouth pieces and laughed.

Sorry that was long winded.

Why does this sound like our football season? Are you a Cyclone quarterback that is injured? Are you Sam R.????

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Everything bad was always in softball but not as fun the rest of these.

1. Worked hard to turn a double play so we could get our fourth out of the inning.:embarrassed:
2. So old I played in the days of metal cleats. Slid into home, catcher had jumped for the throw, gave me cleat marks on the chest and tore my uniform shirt.
3. Hit by pitch in the mouth. Both stitch marks from the ball and stitches. Got on a plane the next day but harassed by the gate attendant.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
There was a guy on another track team in HS that ran the high hurdles, and was just shy of awful. We were hosting the Conference meet my senior year and myself and a teammate were seeded like 2-3. Well, this kid was in the first heat of prelims, and proceded to hit the first hurdle, tumble, stand up and walk off the track. Guess he just said **** it. Teamate and I enjoyed a great laugh at his expense and lined up to "get prelims over with."

I hit the first hurdle, tumbled, and missed finals by a mile. When I finished the race, I happened to notice the kid from the other team and he had this huge smile on his face.....I don't know if it was about me, but well deserved.

I've got many more embarrassments in sports, but that one comes to mind right away. I also ran off the track once, but I don't want to talk about it :wink:

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'm a pretty slow runner, so in baseball practice my coach would typically just tell me to work on hitting drills while 95% of the team would work on baserunning and reading pickoff moves.

Overall, I was really good at baserunning. Just not very fast. I had a pretty good amount of stolen bases, but it was because I would constantly pay attention to the pitchers rhythm and time it down.

Anyhow, senior night. 0-0 going into the bottom of the 7th. I crank a leadoff double. I'm jacked, thinking I just won the game for us. Well, next two batters struck out. So, I decide I'm gonna put the team on my back and steal third. I start sprinting for third, and just hear my coach yell "What are you doing" as I'm 15 feet from third, so I stopped and looked for where the ball was, thinking it was dead. The pitcher was running at me and tagged me out.

PanoraBill

Oct 25, 2013
I watched BGM play football at the UNI Dome & have no idea what it means. other than another game for them.

wolverine68

Mar 30, 2007
Urbandale
www.gvc.edu
I was playing soccer, and had a good sliding tackle to take the ball away from the other team then passed it to our wing. The guy that I stole the ball from was about twice my size (I weighed 140 soaking wet in high school), he walked up to me and asked "Anyone ever tell you you're a ***?" So I looked him straight in the eye and said "No one as cute as you." winked, and blew him a kiss. Dude came at me and I ran for my life around the field. Finally hid behind one of our bigger players.