BLOG: Monte's big moment

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Mateen Cleaves.... Once going against ISU in the Elite 8, now helping an ISU player become star.
One thing we can all agree on is that he has a big smile and big teeth.

I look forward to Monte dropping at least 5, 3's.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Monte's coming out party, Dickie V might just be calling him a "diaper dandy" by game end

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Monte's coming out party, Dickie V might just be calling him a "diaper dandy" by game end

I have no idea how I am going to get through this game without losing my lunch. Anyone who has tried watching TV and listening to John and Erik on Cyclones.TV - how bad is the delay?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
That article sucks because you have that mateen cleeves video in it.

Mateen Cleaves.....

Parks-and-Rec.gif

Last edited:

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I have no idea how I am going to get through this game without losing my lunch. Anyone who has tried watching TV and listening to John and Erik on Cyclones.TV - how bad is the delay?

While I know everybody is not a fan, but the guy is a broadcast icon, and for the first time ever he is going to be court side for an ISU game.
I mean you put up with him propping Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and the one day he is in town and in all likely hood, sings ISU praises you boycott?

I say enjoy the moment, Vitale will be selling the program, selling Hoiberg saying stuff like "the NBA wants him, but I think he will stay in Ames because he is building something special," he will talk Johnny Orr, he will talk history and he will give Hilton tons of props. Any recruit not in attendance that happens to tune in, will hear Vitale give his sales pitch like he does with any games he broadcasts.

To each his own, but John Walters will be there for what 30 more games, nothing wrong with trying something new for a day.

Last edited:

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Chris - any chance you can get Cleaves on your podcast to discuss Monte as well as the 2000 NCAAs?

...mmmmmaybe just Monte.

Dead serious though - would love to hear Cleaves on your podcast.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Just imagine if CF was around when ISU got hosed in 2000. I still think about that game on a regular basis and for some reason I will always have a hard time wrapping my head around what transpired in the last 10 minutes of that game.

MM will make me forget about that day.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
While I know everybody is not a fan, but the guy is a broadcast icon, and for the first time ever he is going to be court side for an ISU game.

I say enjoy the moment, Vitale will be selling the program, selling Hoiberg saying stuff like "the NBA wants him, but I think he will stay in Ames because he is building something special," he will talk Johnny Orr, he will talk history and he will give Hilton tons of props. Any recruit not in attendance that happens to tune in, will hear Vitale give his sales pitch like he does with any games he broadcasts.

To each his own, but John Walters will be there for what 30 more games, nothing wrong with trying something new for a day.

As long as he doesn't mention Duke, I'll be fine.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Just imagine if CF was around when ISU got hosed in 2000. I still think about that game on a regular basis and for some reason I will always have a hard time wrapping my head around what transpired in the last 10 minutes of that game.

The interwebs would have exploded.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

It isn't necessarily because I am in love with Walters. It has everything to do with what a ridiculous charicature of himself he has become. His catch phrases are weak and overplayed. He is way too much in love with Duke, NC and Kansas and he thinks for some reason that he has yell through half of the broadcast.

In short, he is a dip****.

I will probably just listen while I watch, but I really think he makes college basketball less than it would be without him rather than more.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
As long as he doesn't mention Duke, I'll be fine.

This. First mention of Duke during the game and I will put my remote through the flat screen. On another note... someone needs to make a sign in reference to Dookie V's NCAA Tourney predictions from 2 years ago. You know... when ISU played UCONN in the 1st round and faced a potential 2nd round matchup with Kentucky. Dookie V's take was that UCONN would advance easily and he proceeded to give a full breakdown of the UCONN - Kentucky 2nd round matchup completely disregarding ISU. V needs to remember 1 thing about ISU fans... we don't forget.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa

This or Seneca's run against Florida State...

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
One minor quibble about the title: It should be 'Monte's first big moment'.

He'll have more, and they'll be bigger.