USMNT - World Cup preparation

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
I thought I'd start a new thread as a kind of catch-all of US Soccer news leading up to the World Cup next summer. There are a couple of friendlies in November (Scotland Nov 15 and Austria Nov. 19) and then the January camp so there will be some chatter. It seems Klinsmann is pretty set on his core group, but you never know who might sneak in the final 23-man roster in the last few months.

First, it looks like there's a new German-American on the radar, Julian Green.

ASN article: Julian Green: A Talented Teen with Ties to the U.S.

He's been invited to the camp for the two friendlies in Europe in November. In order to play, he'd have to file a one-time switch with FIFA like Johannsson did since he's played for Germany in some of their youth squads. My guess is he'll probably train in the camp, but not play in the friendlies leaving things up in the air. I doubt that Klinsmann views him as an option for this World Cup anyway. Still, it would be nice to add a talented 18-year old player who's been schooled in Bayern Munich's youth setup.

Second, Michael Bradley is back and scored the game winning goal for AS Roma to push their record to a perfect 9-0-0 in Serie A. Here's a video of the goal...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1...a-goal-michael-bradley_sport#from=embediframe

And even better, here's an Italian broadcaster's reaction where he not only freaks the **** out, but calls Bradley Lex Luthor...

[video=youtube;tsLSG9fq0ao]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsLSG9fq0ao[/video]

Last edited:

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Credit *****. (Edit: Oh, what's that? You started the Hex thread also? My bad.)

Thanks for the links, and carry on. The Lex Luthor clip is hysterical.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Julian Green isn't just a talent, he's a HUGE talent. The equivalent of a 5-star top 5 national recruit. He's destroying teams for FC Bayern II isn't too far from playing with the big boys for Bayern Munich. I'm not saying Jurgen would offer him a WC roster spot just to tie him too the US, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility that he would be one of the 23 most talented players that the US has to choose from. He's that good at just 18. I'd love to see us get him tied to the US as soon as possible

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
The roster for the friendlies is in:

GOALKEEPERS (3) : Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Tim Howard (Everton), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire)

DEFENDERS (7) : DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest), Michael Orozco (Puebla)

MIDFIELDERS (7) : Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Roma), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Brek Shea (Stoke City)

FORWARDS (6) : Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

No Guzan. Not sure what's up with that. A minor injury perhaps although he just had a clean sheet for Villa this weekend. Lichaj has been called in which I like. For all of the concern about RB position he's always seemed like a guy who should get a look.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Mexico (or should I say Club America) beat New Zealand today 5-1 so you've got to think their ticket to Brazil is punched. I know there are plenty of US fans that would love to see Mexico not make it in to the WC, but I honestly would rather see CONCACAF get all 4 possible teams into the tournament.

And Raul Jimenez, the dude who saved Mexico's bacon against Panama in the Hex with the bicycle game winner, almost had another ridiculously crazy goal today. If that would have found the back of the net that would have definitely been Zlatan-worthy.

1384384391980.gif

Last edited:

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Also, Fabian & Deuce are both off the roster due to injuries. Down to 21 players. Klinsy isn't calling in replacements.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Also, Fabian & Deuce are both off the roster due to injuries. Down to 21 players. Klinsy isn't calling in replacements.

Man, it's been a ****** few months for Deuce. He really needs to get his groove back. Hopefully he can find a good loan opportunity this January and go score a buttload of goals in Europe.

The Mirror is reporting that Fulham, Aston Villa, and Everton are all interested in a loan deal for Dempsey. Going back to Fulham would be interesting if Jol is still there. Although it looks like he might be on his way out shortly. I'm sure Shahid Khan would welcome the opportunity to go Fulhamerica again even if for just a couple of months.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron