Burton likely out this week

Londo

Apr 22, 2013
Wisconsin
We honestly can not catch a break, per Bobby La Gesse Daniel Burton has suffered a setback this week and will most likely not play versus Oklahoma. I hope that since we are having a down year, Rhoads and Yancy got together and decided to just saving up all of our injury karma points for the next two years.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Crazy how there is almost no one on the OL that hasn't had a set back this year. If they can get healthy there will be a lot of experience on the OL next year.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Have seen/heard nothing on the record but have heard that he hasn't exactly blown anybody away early in his career. Perhaps some maturation will do him some good. A late bloomer maybe? I don't really know. It is odd that he hasn't even sniffed the field though.
Pretty sure he's the only nonredshirting scholarship player on the roster who hasn't...

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
With this many injuries strength and conditioning needs to be looked at. It's beyond bad luck.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
At this point save everyone for the Kansas game. It's the most important game left on the schedule.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Have seen/heard nothing on the record but have heard that he hasn't exactly blown anybody away early in his career. Perhaps some maturation will do him some good. A late bloomer maybe? I don't really know. It is odd that he hasn't even sniffed the field though.

If you were ever going to get on the field as an OL, this would be the year. I was hoping that he was going to be that road grader OL that ISU needs so much. Still early, but a little concerning that he has not made it onto the field when there are so many injuries.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Not for certain, but it's definitely worth wondering whether conditioning plays a role in all this.

It's a messy question that gets people defensive, because the current s/c guy is always good, right up until the next one is hired.
He may be excellent. The team might be overtrained by CPR or someone else, leading to injuries. It could just be that our guys are underprepared for what they face.

Don't know the answer, but it's a worthwhile question.

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive
Not for certain, but it's definitely worth wondering whether conditioning plays a role in all this.

It's a messy question that gets people defensive, because the current s/c guy is always good, right up until the next one is hired.
He may be excellent. The team might be overtrained by CPR or someone else, leading to injuries. It could just be that our guys are underprepared for what they face.

1984511.jpg

Reactions: BBHMagic

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Think Farniok & Lalk were injured by other OLs falling into the back or sides of their legs. Could be from being over-powered or out of position, could have been just bad luck. Don't recall what happened to Gannon, but I think he may have been rolled up on too. Litchenberg's injury is shoulder or upper-body related, I believe, so he and Tuftee, with chronic bad knees, I'd say are different style of injuries than the other 3. Don't know about Burton.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless the play calls for a cut-block an offensive lineman is supposed to do his best not to go to the ground. Can't block anyone from the ground. Correct. Well, I guess if you pancake a guy and then land on him while he is on the ground is acceptable.

Don't know if this goes back to our Strength & Conditioning. Do our younger players still need to get faster and stronger. Sure. Can the fact they are facing players that have an advantage in speed and strength could lead to our guys being out of position more which could lead to more injuries sustained in games? Seems plausible.

Would be interested in what players like Kelechi Osemele, L Johnson, Knott, Klein, Lenz, & Bykowski think.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB

Yea, I am sure S & C is already looking into it. Im not saying anyone needs to be fired in that department. They can make the adjustments needed. I hope.

What brought this on is I was listening to someone on the radio in August. They were talking about all the preseason knee injuries happening in the NFL preseason. And this one talking head said he believed it was due to the new collective bargaining agreement were they changed were players could do more training on there own instead of with the team. It kind of made sense and stuck with me obviously.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron