Thoughts on Dickie V's suggestion during last nights game

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Didn't see this posted anywhere so wanted to bring up the discussion (if I just missed it and there is a thread Mods please merge). What are the thoughts on what people think of the proposition of changing the allowed fouls in NCAA to 6 instead of 5. Dickie V gave his thoughts on it and I see it as a positive and a negative. Great because our best players get one extra foul and would help keeping our best guys on the floor longer... bad because of course it also helps keep the other teams best players on the floor with an extra foul to give. Thoughts?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think they should do this, switch to quarters, and play 44 minutes in college. It's so logical and just hurts my brain and just adds to my list of why the NCAA is full ****.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Kansas already gets 6 fouls per player.

Personally, I'm not in favor of it. You're allowing a potential of 10+ more fouls per game per team with that. But with the way they are calling hand-checks this year, I can see how this is going to get more press.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Wouldn't that have the opposite effect of what they're trying to do with the hand checking fouls? It seems they're trying to reduce aggressive defense to boost scoring and this would only make defense super aggressive again.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I think they should do this, switch to quarters, and play 44 minutes in college. It's so logical and just hurts my brain and just adds to my list of why the NCAA is full ****.

The NBA, NCAA, and maybe even FIBA need to just sit down and hammer out a universal set of rules.

Reactions: nickcyv

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
The most simple solution is to just change the rules back. Get rid of it. No more refs calling fouls every 2 seconds. But if we're stuck in this new alternate universe of non-stop fouls, then yes I would agree that changing to 6 fouls would be good.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I may be in the minority, but I'm ok with the number of fouls and shot clock. Maybe just reduce the shot clock to 10 when the B1G plays.

I wouldn't mind seeing the bonus and double bonus levels backed up to 10 and 15 respectively. From the games I've seen so far, we're in for a long free-throw ridden year.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Reducing the shot clock is a bad thing. It will make scoring go down even more.

I doubt it. Yeah, for Wisconsin, who couldn't do anything in less than 35 seconds anyway, maybe but for teams like us it won't matter. It will just make the game move faster.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
How will reducing the shot clock lower scoring? It will lead to more offensive possessions.
It won't have a huge impact in fast paced games, but it will likely triple scoring in the Big 10.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Exactly. While there certainly are teams that bleed the shot clock down, it will also just increase the number of shots chucked up when a good shot can't be found. Decreasing the shot clock gives extra power to defenses since thats that much less time to have to defend.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
Leave the fouls at 5 and call fouls how they are being called now. Basketball is meant to flow and move not be grabbed and knocked down.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
How will reducing the shot clock lower scoring? It will lead to more offensive possessions.
It won't have a huge impact in fast paced games, but it will likely triple scoring in the Big 10.

When the shot clock went from 45 to 35 scoring decreased and has continued to decrease since then.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron