Good news about Ejim from Randy Peterson

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Why rush it? I mean I'm sure the coaching/training staff know best, but it sure seems like it would be best, in everyones interests, to wait longer than even necessary.

Reactions: dinger

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
It's kind of hard to believe that he could recover that quickly from a knee injury like that. I don't think they will rush him back......at least I would hope not. Rest of the season is a lot more important than the next couple of games.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Knees scare me. Jury is still out as to whether this is good news.
Its a hyperextension. He will have a brace preventing re extending it. Big thing is he is not swelling and bone bruise is healed. If he has been running on it and it isnt he should be in good shape.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Why rush it? I mean I'm sure the coaching/training staff know best, but it sure seems like it would be best, in everyones interests, to wait longer than even necessary.

While I would normally agree with you, considering it was said earlier that they'd be exceedingly cautious about his return to prevent re-injury, I trust fred.

Let Me Melvin Rebound

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
He has some of the best training facilities and treatments avaialble out there. If it was one of us with the same injury in a pick-up basketball game, it would take 4-6 weeks. Ejim has been spending 3-4 hours a day treating the injury so I would excpect it to heal sooner than expected.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
It's kind of hard to believe that he could recover that quickly from a knee injury like that. I don't think they will rush him back......at least I would hope not. Rest of the season is a lot more important than the next couple of games.

Standard for a hyperextended knee is 2-4 weeks. He had bad swelling so the initial report was long, swelling went away quickly though. (For a 22 year old closer to 2-3weeks, a 35 year old 4 weeks). I asked my orthopedic surgeon uncle.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
As long as they are being cautious, the medical staff OK's it, and Melvin feels fine, go for it. They won't push him back for any reason, especially an early season, non-conference game.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Its a hyperextension. He will have a brace preventing re extending it. Big thing is he is not swelling and bone bruise is healed. If he has been running on it and it isnt he should be in good shape.

Yeah, he just hyperextended it. It's not like there was ligament damage or anything like that.

In fact, I'm not so sure he couldn't have played already, but there wasn't any reason for him to rush back for the exhibition or the cupcake first game.

I think they know what they are doing. Fred said he doesn't want to risk any further injury.

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
They've already said they won't rush him back and will be especially cautious with him. If he plays it's because he's ready.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I would think people are smart enough to assume that Fred and staff know how serious the injury is and when he is ready to play. They aren't gonna rush him. If he's ready to play a bit on Sunday, then he's ready to play a bit on Sunday.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron